• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ergo Proxy Complete Collection DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote
For all of its flaws (i.e. where the series trudges most is where Vincent consistently keeps asking "who am I?" during the first half and devote an entire episode's worth of time that went nowhere, and the parts where the proxies shoot electricity from their eyes is rather cheesy-looking), Ergo Proxy is still one of my favorites of all time. I don't normally love an anime series for their beautiful heroines, but this one is an exception, for there is no denying Re-L's eye candy appeal. But even besides her, I consider this show great for its atmosphere. As dark as the narrative is, when the humor comes to break it up a little during its second half, it's genuinely funny, and opinions may vary but the Quiz show episode was quite possibly the best kind of break in the middle of an otherwise beautifully bleak series. Even though I admit to not entirely following the ending (although the hauntingly gorgeous angel scene makes it for me), I still enjoyed the ride with the three main characters all the way to its fitting-enough end. I'd like to think it might have its own kind of cult following like Serial Experiments Lain did, but that's me.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
When I first watched this series, I hated it. I hated it because everything I expected was destroyed, especially with the ending. But I allowed some time to pass, and re-watched it, and that's when I garnered a better appreciation for it. It was easy since I knew my expectations were already shattered.

What really ticked me off about the series, and it still remains, are those unanswered questions. They become so prevalent they leave a negative impression on the series, so it's really hard to recommend this to others, especially those who haven't seen it at all. I can only do so with the cautionary addition: "Yeah, it's okay, but multiple viewings may be in order".

With today's ever-consuming anime fan and all the options, multiple viewings may be asking quite a bit. Of course, everyone's different.

I laughed out loud in the short-comings of animation, because they're absolutely impossible to miss. When the team visited the automated town... oh, but I won't let you get off that easy. You'll see it. Believe me.

If there's any true positive of the series I can give without question, it's that it has one hell of an OP. The song and the art are perfect for each other. YouTube it, if it's out there.

Oh, and before I go: the star of this series is Pino, without question.
jjnoahjames

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
Great write up. Completely agree on all points.

Could have been a masterpiece. Still a nice Anime to watch on a snowy day if you've never seen it before.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote
The opening music is called "Kiri" and was done by Monoral, and it's on their Turbulance CD. All 10 tracks of this CD are well worth the cost. The ending was done by the British band Radiohead. and the BGM was done by the Japan Philharmonic Orchestra, so they really spared no expence on the music, sad about the overall story and plot really. I also wondered if Re-L's eye fashion would ever catch on in the future, but I didn't have to wait long did I? Laughing
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
This series feels really uneven (both in storytelling and in production values); when it's good it's great and when it's not it's almost painful. I didn't like it enough to pony up for the Geneon release but I'm glad it got rescued and will be picking up this release. The show can be pretty obtuse, and the messy ending really annoyed me, but the ride was still enjoyable.

And yes, the music direction is fantastic and the OP is like the best OP in the world.

I also think (and have had people I've watched it with agree) that the first episode is among the best "first episodes" in anime because of how effectively it sets things up in an intriguing yet not overly chaotic way--you may not know who everyone is, but if you're familiar with sci-fi in general, you'll feel right at home with the proceedings of the first episode. A shame the series didn't follow through with a consistent level of quality.

Also, is it just me or is the cover art kind of an odd choice for this? I mean, spoiler[I know the OP and early episodes hint strongly at it, but doesn't showing Vincent like that holding the Proxy mask kinda kill a bit of the mystique of the first couple episodes?]
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
spoiler[I know the OP and early episodes hint strongly at it, but doesn't showing Vincent like that holding the Proxy mask kinda kill a bit of the mystique of the first couple episodes?]

spoiler[LOL! Indeed it does, but really now... does it really take to episode 9 to figure out who Vincent is? 3rd episode, tops.]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
I liked the "non-conformist" challenge episodes but as these are side stories to the plot, they're more inconsequential then their quality should allow.

Yeah, the show was at its best when it was the heroes against *something* even if that something was more idea than ideal. More ideal than idea...

It's a thin line between profound and pretentious, isn't it?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
I think the review for the most part is dead-on. I could have forgiven some of the visual issues, but around the middle of the story it starts to self destruct (though I for one enjoyed the respite of the 'quiz show' episode) and then we have that messy sprint to the finish line. Its a shame it had the potential to be great, instead it will probably be remembered more for what it could have been. I still enjoyed it enough to buy the 2008 box set. The only thing I might disagree on is the matter of the Dub. I might have rated it a little higher as I recall thinking that it was pretty good with Pino and her English VA (Rachel Hirschfeld) stealing every scene she was in. I'm glad it got another release and at the current price at RightStuf ($24) its pretty cheap.

Veers wrote:
Also, is it just me or is the cover art kind of an odd choice for this? I mean, spoiler[I know the OP and early episodes hint strongly at it, but doesn't showing Vincent like that holding the Proxy mask kinda kill a bit of the mystique of the first couple episodes?]
Yea, what is up with that choice of cover art? Someone must have been asleep at Funimation. I don't even like the image chosen.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
One of the high points of the show for me is the re-watch value. I get something new out of it every time I watch it. I'm actually due for another viewing.

Also, EP is one of the only series where I like both the dub and sub equally.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's a thin line between profound and pretentious, isn't it?

To me, that dividing line is determined by how the show makes its points, if it makes them at all, specifically with the note on which a its story ends. I distinctly remember being annoyed at Ergo Proxy's ending because I was left with a "so what?" feeling. I don't mind my expectations of story elements being wrong, but if the story structure itself doesn't even attempt to frame an answer for that question--to try to make a point with its heady ambitions--then I might as well be watching K-ON. Granted, it's been a few years since I saw all of Ergo Proxy so maybe another viewing of the ending is in order. I can appreciate getting more out of multiple viewings of something (KnK, Madoka, Tutu, I could go on), but there's just something sloppy and obtuse about Ergo Proxy that really hamstrings the show from being as great as it could have been.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Yea, what is up with that choice of cover art? Someone must have been asleep at Funimation. I don't even like the image chosen.

Taken from the OP, so it's not like viewers won't figure it out on the first episode.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this got a rerelease. It's definitely one of my favorite anime of all time. The psychological elements and symbolism were so great that I can overlook the "filler" episodes.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

Taken from the OP, so it's not like viewers won't figure it out on the first episode.

A-ha!! You forget the OP doesn't show until the THIRD episode!! Razz Laughing
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I think the review was pretty spot-on. This was a series that tried to do many things -- tried very hard -- and ended upon juggling more balls than it could handle, losing them in the end. But, as Carlo said, it was a pretty amazing trainwreck.

Anyway, I generally liked the series, and really liked Re-L (heh). I wish it could've brought its end to a more coherent state, but I guess we'll just have to be satisfied with what we got. And, yeah, the music is pretty awesome, too.
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I disagree with Carlos here on his ratings. I agree with some of his points, but I think he penalizes too much for them.

One major point I disagree with is the artwork and animation. I saw no problem with it. In fact, if anything, I felt it was some of the best I've seen. And Re-L is absolutely stunning. What's more, she's stunning when she needs to be stunning and normal, or imperfect when she needs to be. One of my more favorite moments is when they are stuck in the desert and she's working out...her body isn't perfect and they don't make any bones about it. I loved it.

What I would agree with is the disjointed story telling, particularly towards the end. It stands solely on the merit of the story itself instead of on the plot movement/technical merits. But I think that's a strength as much as a weakness since it speaks to the power of the story.

Also, the crypticness of some of the story-telling is really annoying, but if you take some time out to think about it for a second you get it. I've seen much more cryptic anime that are nearly impossible to understand in the moment.

So while on some of the story-telling elements I think it falls somewhat short (C or B-) the art, music, and such should definitely be As imo.

It's definitely in my top 25, if not my top 10.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2