• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Vandread Integral, Turbulence OVAs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
So an actual OVA actually exists. I thought it was just a rumor and there actually was no OVA.

Needless to say, I am happy to hear this news after several years of not knowing if the OVA was real or just a rumor.
Roguespider

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
@Roguespider: It disturbs me that I remember neither 2 or 3 on that list. Maybe I only saw Integral...it was a few years ago, and the OVAs didn't get much circulation on the internet to begin with, that I saw.

Meanwhile, I will also hope for a 3rd Stage. Maybe after Gonzo is done animating shows about Mahjong and airplane girls, they can return to the days of bad 2D/CG integration.

#1 occurred in the Integral OVA (1st Stage recap), whereas 2 and 3 occurred in Turbulence (2nd Stage recap). Its been so long since I've seen it but it took a long time for turbulence to hit the net and even then it was horrible quality and AV was out of sync.

Even though we'll probably have to wait a while, I'm more than willing to pick these up the moment they come out. I'm hoping Funi is able to pull together the original cast again and make sure they sound like they used to.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
oh, sure put in just enough more that I'll have to go buy them... OI! Dunno, guess it's OK if they cut a bunch, there was a lot of character stuff that was really side... I can't imagine that they would deal with an event like Original Smile at all. Even the sries itself didn't have a good payoff of that IMHO. But, if they're cheap, it'll be good.

This is one of those serie that might actually do well with a remake. They had a ton of interesting potential that was either unexplorable and/or not enough time to do so...

But at least Stage 3 would be cool. After all, who believes that Earth would give up?
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Roguespider wrote:
Off the top of my head only 3 things are added throughout both movies:

1. You get a small glimpse at the Mejar Pirate Operation (technically a briefing and points out that Dita is a newer recruit).
2. The all important hot tub scene. Cool
3. spoiler[ The Super Vandread in defense mode. Only Attack and Speed mode were shown in the series. This would probably be the biggest benefit to Vandread Fans.]

Now, I'll go back to hoping for a 3rd Stage of Vandread

4. Spacy Spicy Love Anime hyper
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Thats good, I'm glad they did this. Get the next season of Kiddy Grade and i'll be ecstatic. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
Roguespider wrote:
Off the top of my head only 3 things are added throughout both movies:

1. You get a small glimpse at the Mejar Pirate Operation (technically a briefing and points out that Dita is a newer recruit).
2. The all important hot tub scene. Cool
3. spoiler[ The Super Vandread in defense mode. Only Attack and Speed mode were shown in the series. This would probably be the biggest benefit to Vandread Fans.]

Now, I'll go back to hoping for a 3rd Stage of Vandread

4. Spacy Spicy Love Anime hyper

Sounds worth a rental, then. I own the series, so I'm not going to shell out cash for what is mostly a recap.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
oh, sure put in just enough more that I'll have to go buy them... OI! Dunno, guess it's OK if they cut a bunch, there was a lot of character stuff that was really side... I can't imagine that they would deal with an event like Original Smile at all. Even the sries itself didn't have a good payoff of that IMHO. But, if they're cheap, it'll be good.

True, a lot of the character development is likely to get washed out in the compression process. Having said that, I think Original Smile is much less likely to be overlooked entirely, since spoiler[Gascogne's "death"] changed the crew as a whole. If anything is at risk of not showing up I'd say it would be the content in Reality, which was heavy on development for Meia but didn't really into the main plot.

@Roguespider: Yeah, I'm pretty sure I only saw Integral actually, which was definitely of horrible quality. Instead of Tubulence, I found some bonus music video they did set to footage of the series (was official, whatever it was).

Whatever, I'm just happy these are licensed.
Beruda

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I liked Vandred but what is the point in releasing these recaps? They don't had anything to the series.

B.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Thats good, I'm glad they did this. Get the next season of Kiddy Grade and i'll be ecstatic. :wink:

Is there a second season to that show? I only thought there was one.

If Funimation would license Hare and Guu Finale I'd be super ecstatic, but Mother Three will be brought to America before Hare And Guu Finale is. And I've been waiting seventeen years and counting for Mother Three.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Definitely good news to see someone going back and finally finishing something this old. Would be nice to see the same happen to other series like Elfen Lied with missing OVA episodes.

Asrialys wrote:
I wonder if this means that even the Kiddy Grade movies are license possibilities now...

Interesting point - I've always considered the likelyhood to be low, but since the Vandread OVAs are also largely recap it does present possibilities.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote
Well apparently according to RightStuf the OVAs will be subbed only, which totally sucks.

Nonetheless I will probably cave in and watch them subbed just so I can say that I have watched them, plus to add 2 complete entries to my Anime List.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2