• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Shojo Beat discussion thread

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Being that this is a monthly mag and it has some great extras in it and stories we can talk about anything shojobeat here.

I have been reading since day one. since the preview issue given out at border to the first and beyond. They're all on my big dresser in a row...(takes up space too)

In the newest issue it has that short story from the manga-ka who did full moon o sagashite and gentlemans alliance. spoiler[Its about a girl who hates that she's cute because she cant make friends with the other girls and this guy keeps trying to ask her out] (i wasnt sure to put the synopisis in spoilers or not)

Its a good story with a different take on the usualy cute manga girl.

The get this look and the column on street fashion across america makes it kinda a teen girls mag but the artice and pic about lolita fashion made it an otaku teen girls mag. All three are pluses in my eyes.

The sand chronicles....was unexpectantly good. It seem almost it should be a one shot but withspoiler[ her moms hinted psychoness] makes me cant wait till the next chapter.

Im going to miss NANA. I said this many times but if the manga needs to be shrink wrapped then it has to be done. Besides the anime is way ahead and I've been watching that. (<--cheater!)

Now Im looking forward to honey and clover badly .In baby and me things are really starting to pick up from nice little brother story to some drama. I like it.

I also liked last issues Nana poster. I had to make room for it![/spoiler]
Asano Rain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll miss NANA as well, but faster GN releases makes me happy, as does the prospect of being able to read Honey and Clover, finally. Sand Chronicles (something I've been interested in reading) was... well, it's off to a good start. The entire bit with the bunny rabbit made me laugh and I can already tell this manga and I are gonna be in a relationship for the long term.

Shoujo Eve was, I thought, a vapid, silly little story that I didn't care for. Adorable artwork but it's Arinacchi so no surprise there (although she really needs to work on drawing distinguishing facial features on her female characters especially... why does everyone still look the same as the other main lead from every single manga of hers?).

My favorite manga in the magazine at the moment is... erm, Sand Chronicles if the other chapters manage to capture me like the first one, since NANA is out of the running.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to see if I can pick up the latest issue next week, when I go get my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'm excited to read Sand Chronicles because the synopsis in the encyclopedia sounds interesting (though it seems to be vaguely spoilerish, since one event it talks about apparently didn't happened in the first chapter, at least not given Viga's comment about it).

I don't know about Honey & Clover, I watched one episode of the anime and quit halfway through because I was bored. I definitely am not a fan of the slice of life genre. But I'll give it a chance, maybe it works better as a manga.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I had no expectations going into Sand Chronicles, but I really enjoyed the first chapter. Since Nana is gone, this will probably be one of the stories I look forward to the most in each issue.

The Arina Tanemura story was alright, though I can't say I cared for how it concluded. spoiler[Oh, the guy I really like is taken. Oh well, I'll settle for this other guy and everything is just fine.] Decent premise but the resolution sucked. Oh well, at least the art was great.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:23 am Reply with quote
I've also been a reader of Shojo Beat since the beginning and although the mag has had some changes that I disagree with, I will keep reading and get excited when I see it in my mailbox on the 1st of the month.

I am a long time fan of Arinacchi and I had read this one shot a while ago and it didn't sit well with me than and now seeing it properly translated, it didn't go down well either.

I am going to miss Nana, however I am current by reading the scans (I know Im a bad girl). I missed when Godchild left too but such is life.

Sand Chronicles was a bit of a stretch for me because I gadn't heard anything about it previous to this. It was a cute opener but after another 10 chapters we'll see if my opinions change.

I am looking forward to Honey and Clover. The adored the anime (although I never did get to finish the 2nd season) and so I wanted to read the manga.

I do enjoy the preview chapters they slide in every once in a while. Thats how I picked up Aishiteruze Baby and Millenium Snow.

Now if only Viz could get on the bandwagon and release stuff on their Shojo Beat DVD line besides Full Moon!! Rolling Eyes
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:30 am Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
Now if only Viz could get on the bandwagon and release stuff on their Shojo Beat DVD line besides Full Moon!! Rolling Eyes

Well, while it was stated in a really weird way, it does look like Viz has the NANA anime, so you should be getting this wish.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
[/quote]Well, while it was stated in a really weird way, it does look like Viz has the NANA anime, so you should be getting this wish.
Quote:

Very true, but it may not be on this particular line (I'm hoping it is though). and wasn't Honey and Clover liscensed as well a little while back? That may be out on this line too. And hopefully they come out faster than 4 a year though.

ANBUx3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
Sand Chronicles was surprisingly good. I look forward to reading more.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
Very true, but it may not be on this particular line (I'm hoping it is though). and wasn't Honey and Clover liscensed as well a little while back? That may be out on this line too. And hopefully they come out faster than 4 a year though.

I can't possibly seem them not putting it on that line, since the manga is Shoujo Beat, though I'm also not sure what difference it really makes.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Makes no difference at all one way or the other to me really. I'm just happy they may (speculation only) be releasing it at all.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
So to clarify, Nana is officially gone from the magazine now as of the August issue?

In any case, I'm not a subscriber to Shojo Beat, but I'm eagerly awaiting Honey & Clover. It's going to be a long wait until that Vol. 1 comes out. I also plan to buy Nana soon enough. I loved what I saw from the anime (Episodes 1-20).
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
So to clarify, Nana is officially gone from the magazine now as of the August issue?.

August is the last issue that NANA is in.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
This topic has been added to the Manga Discussions Thread.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I just got the new issue in yesterday. I love the start of H&C so far. The preview manga in here seems like its worth buying too.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
So to clarify, Nana is officially gone from the magazine now as of the August issue?.

August is the last issue that NANA is in.

Late reply, but thanks! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Another quick question: could somebody please tell me what SB GNs are being released in September?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19