• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Posts Basquash! Anime Episodes on YouTube

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
This is good for Japanese-speaking viewers but doesn't help the English-speakers. Why can't they also have a subbed version? Conservatives.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
This is good for Japanese-speaking viewers but doesn't help the English-speakers. Why can't they also have a subbed version? Conservatives.

Although Youtube has an HD option now, for this show, you need more than just HD and if you ask me, youtube isn't going to cut it. The CGI in this series is "too much" for youtube even though it kinda deteriorated in the last couple episodes
Taiyz

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I think you're barking up the wrong tree. The whole fanbase clamoring for this big move in the industry, and that doesn't just mean the English-speaking community.

I think it's a great thing for this to be happening; it's good to see companies taking up this method of distribution without it necessarily being another Crunchyroll deal (not that I have anything with Crunchyroll; I'm just saying it's nice to see thought independent of an American company, like one of the ones who lead the charge.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:

How about we take our victories as we can get them. The episode is posted without any region restrictions at all.

Also, it costs money to produce subtitles or dedicated fans. Kadokawa might be assuming some fans would use their subtitle portal to make subtitles for the show, except it looks like they pulled that service.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:49 am Reply with quote
This is the only show from this season that I am NOT watching... I think they need the ratings wherever they can get it for this show... It's horrible (in my eyes) - but someone out there might love it...
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:14 am Reply with quote
The show is amazing I think but no subtitles? This can't be a "stop fansubs" move. Oh well I thought I was going to be able to watch it legally.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
This is the only show from this season that I am NOT watching... I think they need the ratings wherever they can get it for this show... It's horrible (in my eyes) - but someone out there might love it...

To each their own but everyone has a different opinion.
There have been many lame, generic, shows this season in my eyes, and this certainly isn't one of them.
Sure, the whole mecha+basketball isn't a real turn on, but behind that there's a really solid show, possibily within the top 10 of the season for me.
Youtube uploads are nice, but if Kadokawa want this to take off they really need to do an english subbed release, as I'm sure many US basketball fans would at least be slight interested in this.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
Honestly? This series is better without subtitles. The gorgeous art is its chief selling point - which unfortunately will most likely not translate well into Youtube - and the plot is downright idiotic, and occasionally misogynistic (moon boobs!).
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Honestly? This series is better without subtitles. The gorgeous art is its chief selling point - which unfortunately will most likely not translate well into Youtube - and the plot is downright idiotic, and occasionally misogynistic (moon boobs!).

It's true that it would look like a different beast viewed from a blu-ray/HD setup versus Youtube.

But boobs (moon boobs are misogynistic? isn't it the opposite?) and stupid storyline is par for the course for pop media. Fits its youtube home like a tee.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
Streaming Basquash!? That's probably one of the worst ways to watch it. At least Youtube is getting better about their quality and finally removed that damn slider bar when you go fullscreen. I just wish companies would upload using HD instead of HQ.

The show is pretty ridiculous, but that's what I like about it. Satelight's doing a great job on the animation and urban layout is killer, visuals reminds me a lot of Tekkon Kinkreet but without the ugly character designs that 4C always seems to be so turgid over.
Zirdante

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
Watching ep 5 soon, its great so far. The story is pretty generic so far, but at least its different in a good way.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
Youtube?!?!?! >.<

I wish they'd went with Crunchyroll, instead.
720p quality, subs and a decent DTO option at Crunchyroll would have made me purchase at least three of the episodes I've heard about, and I'd have watched them all on CR's 720p definition stream option. -_-

*goes back to editing his newly purchased "Time of Eve" episodes into GIFs of his 3 favorite clips* Wink
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:

Although your right on this series looking quite bad, I can think of worse titels. Such as Queen Blade.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
But boobs (moon boobs are misogynistic? isn't it the opposite?) and stupid storyline is par for the course for pop media. Fits its youtube home like a tee.

Hmm...you're right. Let's replace "misogynistic" with "appallingly sexist and objectifying of women." Spending half an episode staring at a woman's bouncing breasts is about the lowest form of entertainment out there.

(500th post!)
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
omoikane wrote:

Hmm...you're right. Let's replace "misogynistic" with "appallingly sexist and objectifying of women." Spending half an episode staring at a woman's bouncing breasts is about the lowest form of entertainment out there.

(500th post!)

I never read about that in the review of the first episode of this series. What episode did this occur? Because I thought this series was about Basketball.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2