Forum - View topic
Why do people complain so much about the name changes in Detective Conan?


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
4750G



Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 546

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I assume they mean the dub anime. The dub ended before Haibara was introduced in the series.

"Anita Hailey" is the name Viz gave her.. but in the movies Funi dubbed she is in, her name is "Vi Greythorn". So she has two English names, if it wasn't confusing enough already.

Now I get it...but thinking about that gives me a headache. Confused But thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
randomuser2349



Joined: 24 Dec 2011
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

That is what I heard. If it's true, it makes a lot of sense, though it's hard to swallow that Funi was dumb enough to think a murder-mystery show could be marketed to a children's network in a children's time-slot in the first place.


Look at what 4Kids did to One Piece.

Chiibi wrote:
I simply find changing "foreign" names into English names very ignorant and close-minded.

They seriously thought Americans couldn't pronounce "RAN"?


I think it's because it's because "Ran" doesn't sound feminine in English. It might have been better to rename her "Brandy". Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiibi



Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 2035

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
randomuser2349 wrote:


Look at what 4Kids did to One Piece.


I'm fairly confident that Funi's intelligence is vastly superior over 4shit. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
randomuser2349



Joined: 24 Dec 2011
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
randomuser2349 wrote:


Look at what 4Kids did to One Piece.


I'm fairly confident that Funi's intelligence is vastly superior over 4shit. Rolling Eyes


That's why I think they had a good reason for changing the names. Funi almost never does this kind of things except when censorship is needed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shilisha



Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
Maybe they just want original ones and don't want any changes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Snomaster1



Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Well,I've seen "Case Closed,"and believe me,Funimation changing the names of the characters isn't one of my biggest complaints about the show. My problem with the show is that while it's supposed to be a kid's show,it has people getting murdered on that show. And not only that,it's done in a very bloody fashion. If this show were shown to American kids with all the blood that covers the screen,there would be protests from parents like you won't believe. And I wouldn't blame them a bit.
I know that what the Japanese consider acceptable to show kids is different from what we consider to be acceptable in America,but I'm sorry. "Case Closed" would be considered too violent to show kids in America,much less be considered family entertainment. It's too gory for be considered family entertainment,much less suitable for kids.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
st_owly
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 20 May 2008
Posts: 3422
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Stuff about why America is better than Japan


I dunno, Tom and Jerry can be pretty violent Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Keonyn
Moderator


Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 5555
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,I've seen "Case Closed,"and believe me,Funimation changing the names of the characters isn't one of my biggest complaints about the show. My problem with the show is that while it's supposed to be a kid's show,it has people getting murdered on that show. And not only that,it's done in a very bloody fashion. If this show were shown to American kids with all the blood that covers the screen,there would be protests from parents like you won't believe. And I wouldn't blame them a bit.
I know that what the Japanese consider acceptable to show kids is different from what we consider to be acceptable in America,but I'm sorry. "Case Closed" would be considered too violent to show kids in America,much less be considered family entertainment. It's too gory for be considered family entertainment,much less suitable for kids.


That's not really all that relevant since the discussion here is about the name changes and peoples views on that more so a discussion of the series overall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 02 May 2006
Posts: 2985
Location: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, the point in sno's post is
"Funimation changing the names of the characters isn't [my] complaint(sic)"

Which shows the same argument he often makes. He has no problem with changing a show to such a drastic degree that it becomes practically unrecognizable.

But most people are not like Snomaster and have no delusions that all of Japan's shows should be catered to fit Focus on the Family's broadcast standards.

And lets face it, if Sno has a problem with the name changes it would probably be that the names aren't changed enough... Conan Edogawa clearly isn't American enough and would probably prefer something like Chase McGuffin or maybe he could look up on the shelf and see some other books and call himself "Drew Hardy"?

See, now that would get on 4kids! Especially if he had to solve cases about people falling asleep and each show could be re-edited to include a scene at the end where the sleeping person wakes up to thank him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 4040
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I can understand the complaint about the name change. But I just want people to know that Japan does something similar too when American cartoon goes to Japan. Anybody know the Herculoids??

Because when that show was broadcasted in Japan, it was known as 怪獣王ターガン Kaijû Ô Tâgan (Monster King Targan) the character name were changed for the Japanese version:

Zandor became Targan
Tara became Marmi
Dorno became Kane
Zok became Maryu
Igoo became Rikira
Tundro is Tanguro
Gloop and Gleep became Hyûhyû and Bôbô

Also I believe Japan rename Muttley (another Hanna Barbera character) to Ken-Ken.

So you see Japan is no different, we rename anime character, they renamed American cartoon characters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4034

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I won't act like I'm an expect on what Japanese broadcast was like 50 years ago (which is when the Herculoids aired) but today that kind of stuff is very rare in Japan.. 99% of the shows that air there keep the names. Jack Bauer from 24 keeps his name. Batman is still "Bruce Wayne" and all that stuff. I watched Japanese Cartoon Network over there when I visited family and everyone was pretty much the same from what I saw. Billy and Mandy, Chower, Batman, etc. It's really only changed when it's an actual remake (Toei Spider-Man, for example) Though even that's not a strict fact (Stitch! anime used all the American names, for example) Adventure Time actually keeps "Princess Bubblegum" as "Princess Bubblegum (Pu-ri-n-se-su Ba-bu-ru-ga-mu) not giving her a Japanese title or anything (like "Bubblegum-hime"). It's definitely far more common in the west to 'nationalize' foreign things than in Japan. About the only shows I see routinely get name changes are Transformers ones, probably since Transformers originated in Japan to begin with so they have their own naming schemes, or maybe Hasbro wants them to or something, I'm not sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DomonX2



Joined: 14 Sep 2012
Posts: 232
Location: Neo Toronto, Neo Canada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I won't act like I'm an expect on what Japanese broadcast was like 50 years ago (which is when the Herculoids aired) but today that kind of stuff is very rare in Japan.. 99% of the shows that air there keep the names. Jack Bauer from 24 keeps his name. Batman is still "Bruce Wayne" and all that stuff. I watched Japanese Cartoon Network over there when I visited family and everyone was pretty much the same from what I saw. Billy and Mandy, Chower, Batman, etc. It's really only changed when it's an actual remake (Toei Spider-Man, for example) Though even that's not a strict fact (Stitch! anime used all the American names, for example) Adventure Time actually keeps "Princess Bubblegum" as "Princess Bubblegum (Pu-ri-n-se-su Ba-bu-ru-ga-mu) not giving her a Japanese title or anything (like "Bubblegum-hime"). It's definitely far more common in the west to 'nationalize' foreign things than in Japan. About the only shows I see routinely get name changes are Transformers ones, probably since Transformers originated in Japan to begin with so they have their own naming schemes, or maybe Hasbro wants them to or something, I'm not sure.


You are wrong AGAIN! Transformers didn't originate in Japan. It's precursor DIACLONE and MICROMAN DID! What Hasbro did when they bought out Takara was to merge the two franchise into ONE, which was the idea of said American company. The names, characters, stories and character designs ARE American. Witwicky is American and so are everything else. The ONLY TRUE Japanese TRANSFORMERS are Headmasters(based off a Marvel Comic), Transformers: Robots in Disguise(same as Headmasters), Micron Legend(Armada to you Americans, although the 'dub' is technically the co original, pre dating its Japanese counterpart, but had a shit ton of bullshit), which was based off a Canadian comic, Transformers: Galaxy Force(you Americans may know this one as Cybertron) and I think Superlink(which you call Energon), which are the JAPANESE Transformers. Beast Wars II and Beast Wars Neo, which aren't considered canon and is like the Japanese dub of the Beast Wars(which has nothing to do with Beast Wars). The 1984-1987 series is Americans, with animation outsourced between South Korea, Japan and the USA. Beast Wars the animated series is NOT from the USA mdo7, just in case you try to counter Titan and/or me. It was produced mainly by Canada. Same with Beast Machines. BTW, you're of Japanese descent Titan? Also, I agree and disagree with you Titan. People should keep things the same, but it should apply to everyone, not just America. If Japan does what America does, it should get flack. To quote PenguinTruth;

'Still, at some point it doesn't matter the degree of bad. Bad is bad, and you want to avoid it like a blazing inferno. Getting burned a little isn't as bad as getting burned a lot, but it's still getting burned, isn't it?'

As for mdo7, the point is that Japan lacks political 'correctness' unlike America, so it doesn't and shouldn't have to change American cartoons, like YOU do Japanese cartoons. I'm living in Canada and the edits we did to Gundam SEED, compared to Cartoon Network are NULL and VOID. SEED was never popular in the States, while SEED was fairly popular in Canada. Editing and removal of things doesn't mean popularity. Not that I like SEED at all, but it's still valid. Going back to Transformers XL, I heard for the latest Japanese dub of Transformers, they dropped the 'Convoy' BS and called him Optimus Prime. Finally, why so serious about some show, that will never end? This Conan shit supports some terrible animation for starters, so who cares?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4034

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Uh, I was talking about the toys, not the shows. I'm aware those shows, aside from Micron Legend and the like, aren't Japanese.. but the autobot designs were based on Japanese toylines like Diaclone, which created the whole 'transforming car robots' thing. Basically I'm saying it's a special case with weird exceptions and not the norm for how shows are handled because of it's convoluted history.

Also, you're free to dislike Conan, but throwing out the 'why does anyone care about a bad show' card is pretty childish, especially when it's been established quite a few people do care and love the series. In general, 'Who cares?' is a very lazy and baseless justification to do or not to do something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Touma



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 997
Location: Colorado, USA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
As for mdo7, the point is that Japan lacks political 'correctness' unlike America, so it doesn't and shouldn't have to change American cartoons, like YOU do Japanese cartoons.

It is not political correctness, just economics. The people responsible for the name changes think that the shows will be more popular with the changes. Whether or not they are right is a different question, but there are people who do prefer the changed names.
Actually, I think that it would be more politically correct to not change the names.

Quote:
Finally, why so serious about some show, that will never end? This Conan shit supports some terrible animation for starters, so who cares?

That "will never end" statement makes me think that you are talking about Detective Conan in Japan, which does not have, or need, name changes. But whatever you mean, as TitanXL said there are a lot of people who care.
The reason that shows get renewed year after year is that thereare a lot of people who care about them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
DomonX2



Joined: 14 Sep 2012
Posts: 232
Location: Neo Toronto, Neo Canada

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Uh, I was talking about the toys, not the shows. I'm aware those shows, aside from Micron Legend and the like, aren't Japanese.. but the autobot designs were based on Japanese toylines like Diaclone, which created the whole 'transforming car robots' thing. Basically I'm saying it's a special case with weird exceptions and not the norm for how shows are handled because of it's convoluted history.

Also, you're free to dislike Conan, but throwing out the 'why does anyone care about a bad show' card is pretty childish, especially when it's been established quite a few people do care and love the series. In general, 'Who cares?' is a very lazy and baseless justification to do or not to do something.


Good that you knew it was a Japanese-American(in some cases Canadian) thing. The reason I hate DC is because of the bad animation and it doesn't end and it's been around since I was a kid. The books/novels/comics like 99% of all things Japanese to animated like this is way better. I've been to all of Japan and I can't go to a merchandising store, without seeing that crap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group