• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Adds Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then, Here and There

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Libertarian: Yes, I know, but that's an easy label for people to slap on you, if you make a criticism which might be deemed "unpatriotic".

It's only an easy label if you're a flaming retard, in which case nobody should take you seriously anyway. People who actually have the ability to think critically realize that there are always two sides of a story, especially in war, and even more especially when civilians are involved. I'm as patriotic as they come, but I still realize that not all Japanese people back then were pure evil, even if their military government was. I'm still glad we kicked the crap out of them, but I certainly don't hate them.

I think with movies like "Letters from Iwo Jima" receiving critical acclaim, Disney wouldn't have to worry about any extremist nutjobs boycotting "Grave of the Fireflies", of all things. And even if they did, who cares about what extremist nutjobs say, anyway? Rolling Eyes

At any rate, I'm glad NTHT is getting a re-release. I almost dropped $80-100 for it on ebay several times. Now I'm glad I held off. Very Happy
braves

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
...if the Walt Disney Company has the video distribution rights to the Ghibli library, would that imply that Ghibli titles could be released under Disney's less "kid/family-centric" labels like Miramax or Touchstone, if need be?

But they did the deal with Tokuma Shoten, not Ghibli. And since GotF wasn't produced by Shoten, it just didn't fit in the deal.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/disney/

As to why they didn't pick it up- yes, it's a Ghibli movie, but it isn't made by Miyazaki. I just imagine that they couldn't be bothered to pick up a movie that wasn't made by Miyazaki, even if it is held in high regard.

"They'll be accused of being commies"? lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
if the Walt Disney Company has the video distribution rights to the Ghibli library, would that imply that Ghibli titles could be released under Disney's less "kid/family-centric" labels like Miramax or Touchstone, if need be?

Yes they could. It's what they did with the more violent Princess Mononoke: released it under the Miramax label. I don't see any reason why they couldn't have done the same with Grave of the Fireflies.
nagato316

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
nagato316 wrote:
...if the Walt Disney Company has the video distribution rights to the Ghibli library, would that imply that Ghibli titles could be released under Disney's less "kid/family-centric" labels like Miramax or Touchstone, if need be?

But they did the deal with Tokuma Shoten, not Ghibli. And since GotF wasn't produced by Shoten, it just didn't fit in the deal.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/disney/

Thanks, all the info above totally clears things up. Guess Disney couldn't have lost distribution rights to something it never had in the first place. I appreciate your pointing that out.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
braves: They've picked up other non-Miyazaki movies so far.

nagato:
Quote:

Really?...just asking because I didn't see any posts mentioning it prior to my post or yours.

That's because Tony Time Delay likes filtering my comments.

Quote:
would that imply that Ghibli titles could be released under Disney's less "kid/family-centric" labels like Miramax or Touchstone, if need be?

They tried that with Princess Mononoke, and it bombed. And while it's true that Miramax was run at one time by a guy who hated Asians, which is why it really bombed, Disney's been in enough hot war when its subsidiaries tackled "controversial" live-action films, so...

Quote:
Although as previously mentioned this was a moot issue with the release of Pom Poko.)

Again, Pom Poko was only released on dvd here because they were able to come up with a friendlier word for testicles.

Prometheus: Yes, but in a country which is afraid to prosecute its own leaders for war crimes for fear of being labeled "biased" or "leftist", dissing any action on the part of our wars is going to get a lot of negative hazing. Christ, MoveOn just trashed Petraeus, and they spinned it as an attack on our troops.

Last edited by GATSU on Fri May 08, 2009 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
Wow. I'm surprised NO ONE has mentioned Dancougar so far. C'mon, ADV! CPM never gave us a DVD release and who knows how long those VHS tapes will last!

That would be another good one. I've forgotten some of the things they had.

I'd really like to see Animeigo bring Beautiful Dreamer home. Probably not going to happen, but I'm sure they'd like to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9