• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Adds Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then, Here and There

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kushiel

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

Now, if any of their other properties get rescued, things'll be jake. (Someone please, PLEASE rescue DNA², the Rumic World OVAs, Descendants of Darkness, Cyber City Oedo 808, Negadon, Domain of Murder, Utena, Garzey's Wing, and Arslan!)

(bolding mine)

I have Arslan on VHS, but man, I'd really like to own it on DVD. It deserves to be seen in better quality.

I'll be the lone voice who squeaks out 'Lodoss!'. Come on, if Slayers can have new life breathed into it, so can Lodoss. CPM may have wrung it for all it was worth, but hot damn, I love it anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Utena now, please?

Great news for those other titles, although the MD Geist one surprised me for about five minutes. And then I remembered that it's MD Freakin' Geist, of course SOMEBODY is going to get it.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Hope they reauthor NTHT. That one needs some love. I worked on those DVDs, and even I will freely admit that they look like ass.

I know ADV's Five Star Stories is delayed for retail release, but I got it from Netflix on Monday, brand new white sleeve and a completely scratchless disc, I assume it was new.

And wow, I thought it looked great, though I do not know how the original looked.

So maybe there is hope for some remastering.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, especially the fact that it's ADV picking up these licenses. I want them to make it through the difficulties they've been having, so any good news from them is great to hear. That, and I've been wanting a copy of Now and Then, Here and There.
Now, if only someone can get the license to Utena, as I was stupid and never got around to buying the Apocalypse Arc.
Shale

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Woo-freakin'-hoo. I kicked myself for never picking up NTHT after it went out of print,a nd Grave of the Fireflies should be in circulation from now through the end of time, it's that damned good.

Joining the call for Utena next. I own it, but just on principle.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, excellent news on CPM license rescues, especially NTHT. Glad to see Narue and GotF (though I'm not as high on the film as many others have), though M.D. Geist is both unexpected...and expected (sort of up ADV's alley, perhaps part of a package deal?).

Now, if someone would just rescue the Lodoss War series, Venus Wars, VOTOMS, Geobreeders, Legend of Himiko, and Cat Soup, as well as keeping ones like A Wind Named Amnesia, Time Stranger, and Alien Nine in print. Heck, someone just rescue their whole catalog (unlikely but would be nice; some of the "less good" titles could be left out, though).

As for Utena, that's just a license waiting for a rerelease date. It's a matter of "when" than "if".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsean

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Quote:
While we're talking about license resuces, why stop with CPM? There's plenty of Geneon,

Girls Bravo is still up for grabs, isn't it? Embarassed

What about Tenjho Tenge? Ah My Goddess The Movie? or Mini-Goddesses for a matter of fact...

Or, maybe they can start dubbing MY Clannad! I mean I heard it got good sales and all, so why not?
bci110

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
While we're talking about license resuces, why stop with CPM? There's plenty of Geneon, Synch-Point, Tokyopop, and Super Techno Arts titles that are also wallowing in limbo. (Does anyone know if Viz still has Flame of Recca, Boys Over Flowers, and Ceres: Celestial Legend, or have their rights to those shows expired as well?)

Speaking of Synch-Point, I know that there are some fans that are still pissed at Synch-Point for not finishing with I'm Gonna Be an Angel. That seems like a good show for someone to pick up.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
While we're talking about license resuces, why stop with CPM? There's plenty of Geneon, Synch-Point, Tokyopop, and Super Techno Arts titles that are also wallowing in limbo. (Does anyone know if Viz still has Flame of Recca, Boys Over Flowers, and Ceres: Celestial Legend, or have their rights to those shows expired as well?)

Speaking of Synch-Point, I know that there are some fans that are still pissed at Synch-Point for not finishing with I'm Gonna Be an Angel. That seems like a good show for someone to pick up.

Oh yea I was totally pissed at them, I mean I had to finish the rest of the series on terrible VHS quality fansubs that were originally recorded from the original T.V. TOKYO Broadcast FROM 1999...
Cait

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Now, if any of their other properties get rescued, things'll be jake. (Someone please, PLEASE rescue DNA², the Rumic World OVAs, Descendants of Darkness, Cyber City Oedo 808, Negadon, Domain of Murder, Utena, Garzey's Wing, and Arslan!)

You're joking about Garzey's Wing, right? That thing was the single worst anime I have ever had the displeasure of spending money on in my life. The dub was completely unwatchable, and the sub was only barely watchable because I couldn't understand what anyone was saying (and even then I didn't get through the whole thing).

Anyway, I'm glad to see that the major title rescues are already being announced. I do have to wonder about Utena, though. I never got to see this series because it was already long out of print before I was ever interested in trying it out, so I have to wonder if and/or when someone will snatch it up. Although, as an older title, it would seem to me that Utena would need some serious remastering and/or a new dub (or be released sub-only). It could be, and this is merely me hoping aloud, that someone is already going for the license for this title and is waiting for the summer anime convention season to make a big announcement about it.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Thank God, I've been waiting for this to happen. Sure beats paying the $70+ odd ridiculous amount for Grave of the Fireflies right now. I can wait until July. Hallelujah
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
And I just ordered the CPM version of Grave of the Fireflies from rightstuf last night. Thought something was fishy.

I'll probably get Now and Then, even though I already bought the first 2 volumes used for about 5 bucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Good to see older license rescued and that ADV is the one doing them. I'd like to see that company weather the storm they've had and come out successful in future months. Have to agree with Justin in that I hope their version of the Grave DVD has as much content as the CPM one did. That and the Project A-ko Collector's series were pretty cool releases, the likes of which we don't get much except on a few films now and then.

Also I'm hoping to get a DVD of the original version of M.D. Geist which I generally preferred to the Director's Cut. Liked the music and pacing better.

Never noticed much about the NT/HT releases, just that it was a really good series, like Future Boy Conan with all the happy parts ripped out. Hoping for good product here too from ADV.

As to other CPM rescues, I wouldn't mind seeing A-ko, Gall Force and Cyber City brought back to R1. Utena would definitely be a big plus since many had problems with CPM's subs on that series if I recall correctly. Would also like to see Votoms licensed fully as well. The ammo can box set was pretty well stocked but I wouldn't mind seeing the Votoms OAV shows released here including the recent Pailsen Files series.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
I can only assume Funimation must already have Utena or something. I don't know why else ADV would avoid picking up the one CPM series that has the best chance of selling. But then ADV isn't exactly known for making the smartest business decisions...

I highly, highly doubt Funimation has Utena. They aren't exactly known for acquiring shows, especially license rescues, and not getting the TV rights. And ADV just licensed the show for the Anime Network from Enoki Films.

I'm beginning to wonder if the asking price for Utena may be too high for an older series. I can't think of anything else that would be holding it up right now, unless there are other issues at play, similar to Sailor Moon.

And if the price is right, I think ADV or Sentai has just as much a shot at it, as Funimation does right now. Funimation already has a lot of new series on it's plate, and Best Buy has been dropping a lot of it's titles entirely. (For example, the closing volumes of Claymore and Darker then Black will be online only due to poor sales in store.) And ADV just made a large deal with Enoki for TV rights, so who knows. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Right Stuf rescue it.
heavyweather

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote

Agreed! Geneon (Trigun, Haibane Renmei, Lain, Niea_7, Texholnyze, Paranoia Agent) and Synch-Point (FLCL) have stuff that shouldn't disappear/ go for too much on Ebay. Funi/Bandai/ADV/Media Blasters should get on those above-mentioned titles.

I'm not quite sure about Tokyopop's anime choices - didn't Funi get GTO and Initial D already?

And until you mentioned it, I had never even heard of Super Techno Arts - I can't judge the quality of what they released, either.

As for CPM's licenses, I hope animego gets the second Urusei Yatsura movie, and that somebody will pick up A-Ko.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9