• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Adds Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then, Here and There

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
I dunno. The "remastered" version of Utena seems to have the opposite issue of the DBZ "remastered" dvd from FUNi. I also don't think it's fair to blame CPM on the source materials, since they had enough trouble getting that series out here in the first place. Anyway, like DVD and BD, I don't see the difference.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
Hey! I just remembered that CPM had a manga line as well!! Does anyone know if those might be saved (or even worth saving)? I did notice that they have (had?) the rights to the Wolrd of Narue manga and I'd be interested in that.

However, I get the feeling that "saving" manga isn't as popular or likely as "saving" anime. The only ones that come to mind was Viz picking up Slam Dunk and Tokyopop grabbing Guardian Angel Getten (calling it Mamotte Shugogetten), both of which were old Raijin Comics titles.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
heavyweather wrote:
And until you mentioned it, I had never even heard of Super Techno Arts - I can't judge the quality of what they released, either.

They're the guys who brought JoJo's Bizarre Adventure to R1.

Of course, being based on a Shonen Jump manga, I could see either FUNimation or Viz grabbing that one up. (Hopefully it'd be re-issued in a nice box set with MORE EPISODES PER DISC! There's no reason why STA couldn't put more than three episodes of JoJo on a disc!)

Photon: The Idiot Adventures also needs a good rescue, as does Arcade Gamer Fubuki. (I've been looking for Photon on Amazon and eBay, but nobody's got it cheap enough, even for a used DVD!)
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Hope they reauthor NTHT. That one needs some love. I worked on those DVDs, and even I will freely admit that they look like ass.

If they treat it right, I just might be tempted to double dip.
Dante80

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Hope they reauthor NTHT. That one needs some love. I worked on those DVDs, and even I will freely admit that they look like ass.

If they treat it right, I just might be tempted to double dip.

QFT, although I think I'll double dip anyway...just give us a good box please (to stand next to the CPM orange boxset)...Anime hyper
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'd pay a lot of money for even a barebones release of that remastered edition.

I don't think anyone's going to release it here - at least, I remain cautiously skeptical that that would ever happen - but if it did, that'd be goddamn christmas.

I'll be extremely surprised if Funimation doesn't jump on it. It's a show with demand, it hasn't been widely pirated by fansubbers, they can probably get the license cheap, and there's a remaster available.

I wouldn't be surprised if they already have it and that they're just waiting for a good time to announce it. Betcha beer that they'll announce at least having the license on or before AX, remaster or not.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:

I'll be extremely surprised if Funimation doesn't jump on it. It's a show with demand, it hasn't been widely pirated by fansubbers, they can probably get the license cheap, and there's a remaster available.

I wouldn't be surprised if they already have it and that they're just waiting for a good time to announce it. Betcha beer that they'll announce at least having the license on or before AX, remaster or not.

I'll take that bet and if they don't announce it at AX, you owe me a scotch.

I'm not a beer guy.
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'll take that bet and if they don't announce it at AX, you owe me a scotch.

I'm not a beer guy.

Does scotch from the ultra lounge count? [chuckle]

Consider it done whether I'm right or not. Find me backstage after Idol. Ask for Troy. Been wanting to put a face to the name for a while. Smile

And I'll take one of Toshi's Darth Mauls over that beer. Razz

Last edited by xstylus on Wed May 06, 2009 2:55 am; edited 2 times in total
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
The question is, does any of this affect Manga Entertainment's digital licensing of some of these titles? It doesn't seem like that's the case to me, as Now & Then, Here & There is still available in iTunes from Manga Entertainment. The others never were, but if ADV does acquire Decendants of Darkness, it also won't affect the iTunes release, it seems.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
Hey! I just remembered that CPM had a manga line as well!! Does anyone know if those might be saved (or even worth saving)? I did notice that they have (had?) the rights to the Wolrd of Narue manga and I'd be interested in that.

It would make me extraordinarily happy if someone would rescue the World of Narue manga license.

bj_waters wrote:
However, I get the feeling that "saving" manga isn't as popular or likely as "saving" anime. The only ones that come to mind was Viz picking up Slam Dunk and Tokyopop grabbing Guardian Angel Getten (calling it Mamotte Shugogetten), both of which were old Raijin Comics titles.

It is rarer, but it does happen. Yotsuba and Azumanga Daioh got rescued from ADV, as another example. And I'm glad that Tokyopop did rescue Mamotte Shugogetten, and used its original title. Never did like what Raijin called it.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote
Never would have guessed ADV would pick up Grave of the Fireflies. I hope they respect it like they should. Nice to see the others rescued as well. I still haven't even watched my NTHT discs. I wound up buying them from a Blockbuster and found I could've gotten them new, with extras for about the same price. Thankfully, I'm not big on extras. Hopefully they save Patlabor too, as well as Utena and Lodoss. CPM really did have a lot of old gems. ADV's always been an odd one for me, but it's nice to see life in them the same.

Speaking of Utena, there's a remastered HD version out there? I think I vaguely remember hearing about that. I must track that down. Thanks to my sister, I still haven't seen past half of the Black Rose arc, yet I still love everything about the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen Now and Then, Here and There since AXN-Asia still showed anime. Saw one or two of the old USMC/CPM DVDs in a local toy shop's bargain bin (old stock from what was my regular comic shop).

Would be nice to see some of ADV's old OAV catalog re-released as well.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah ADV! This is great and I actually would love to own NTHT I also want Utena, I never even got to see the whole thing either.. I agree that they should get a few Geneon titles like Tenjho Tenge which really seems like something they would treat right oh and Lain which seemed like a given rescue to me.

Did anyone ever have a license for Video Girl Ai though? That'sanolder series I always really wanted to own.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:18 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Did anyone ever have a license for Video Girl Ai though? That'sanolder series I always really wanted to own.

Viz had it on VHS and DVD.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
Oh, I thought I remembered seeing it at one point but I haven't seen it in a long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9