• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-05-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Female Gundam fans aren't rare for the newer stuff because it's made to attract them with the groups of pretty men. Where it's rare is for the stuff from the 80's, mostly UC stuff, or possibly Turn A or X.

Wouldn't fans - in general, regardless of gender - of those older series be more rare anyway, due to their inaccessibility? I mean, Turn A and After War X haven't even been released over here yet...

Neither have ZZ or Victory. Torrents exist, so that's what we use. And the likelihood of these getting licensed now is next to none. The fans are more rare in any case, they're just very vocal. They're also the type who watch MS IGLOO, the type those OVAs were made for. I'm not sure about how Unicorn will go down, but I hope it's also along the lines of being for more hardcore old fans instead of trying to reign in new ones. If they're OVAs, then it's pretty likely.
stopher87

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
Ok kevin, take a breather and then say theses words, "I'm so glad I found you."
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ninjaclown wrote:
A FEMALE Gundam fan?
*sniff sniff* I'm so happy for you, Kevin. Very Happy

They exist, but they like what you'd expect them to: Wing, SEED, and 00. You're not gonna see many (if any) women-folk going crazy for Zeta or 0083. If they do like Gundam they like it for the bishounen only.

Dude. Zeta is my FAVORITE GUNDAM OF ALL TIME.
The Zeta turns into a jet plane. Zeon's secret base is inside MCDonalds. The series takes a more serious, darker tone than the original. What's not to love?

This was the first fansub I ever attempted to download, and it is still my favorite Gundam. And not because of 'bishies' like Char Aznable in Ray-Bans. Rolling Eyes

I LOVE Gunbuster, King Gainer, GaioGaiGar, Captain Harlock, Lupin the Third etc.

Yes I'm female, not old (I'm 20), not a yaoi fangirl, not a boy in a girl's body.

Sorry, I just had to put it out there, it was bothering me. Very Happy
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
She's either:
1) psycho
2) screwing with him
3) both
4) trying to worm a free dinner out of him
5) misunderstood his intentions and just wants to be friends

I'll be considerably impressed if the author can think of a catch that's none of those things.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
She's either:
1) psycho
2) screwing with him
3) both
4) trying to worm a free dinner out of him
5) misunderstood his intentions and just wants to be friends

I'll be considerably impressed if the author can think of a catch that's none of those things.

Or she's so used to being around crazy self conscious otaku that she is totally used to it.

Next episode, Kevin gets introduced to her otaku boyfriend in crazy cosplay and says something to the effect of "hey honey, this is my new friend Kevin. He likes a lot of the same things we do, he's nice, we should hang out."

*Kevin deflates*

Edit:
well I guess that goes along with 5
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cloud1989

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
perhaps she will meet nina at kevins home and take it the wrong way and ditch him?
se37

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I can see a few things that could go wrong. One is that she lives 4000 miles away or two she's jailbait. Has happened to me more then enough times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ribbons

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I read the comic and felt that Megan was like a murky reflection of myself, seriously.

My figurines of Noriko Takaya and Big O agree with me, too.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
She's not normal I tell you. Not normal at all. Amazing girls like that don't drop into your lap like that, not in real life. There has to be some sort of catch . . . . . .

Oh there are some out there, i've met a few. Cool

However in Kevin's case, something just makes me think he's going to find out she has a lot in common with the girls from "When They Cry" for some reason, or something like that. Hope Kevin's good at running Idea
Dorian

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Steel Angel"]
dtm42 wrote:
She's not normal I tell you. Not normal at all. Amazing girls like that don't drop into your lap like that, not in real life. There has to be some sort of catch . . . . . .

She could be someone comfortable with herself who enjoys a convention romance just like some people enjoy a summer fling. You go girl!
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
Kevin, you fool! You're supposed to react that way internally! Internally, I say! Internalize it!

But...the way he reacted externally made this particular strip pretty damn hilarious! Laughing

Oh, and as for the remarks about Gundam and women...what the heck is that all about? I think that women who like science fiction would like any Gundam, especially science fiction that has something to say about war. I mean, that's the main reason I enjoy watching the various Gundam series--they have very interesting ways of talking about war and humanity's future through the lense of sci-fi. Plus, I like the cool mecha. But liking Gundam because of bishonen...? Way to judge female fans. True, 00 is one of my favorites, but that's got nothing to do with character designs. I liked SEED, too, but I wasn't always too into those character designs. I like the original Gundam and G Gundam. Gundam 0080 was really good and I'll always remember it, but I don't think I can watch it again because the ending made me deeply sad. As for Macross, I've only been able to see Macross Plus, but based on how much I enjoyed that, I'd watch more Macross given the opportunity. So, there! Razz
Wooga wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ninjaclown wrote:
A FEMALE Gundam fan?
*sniff sniff* I'm so happy for you, Kevin. Very Happy

They exist, but they like what you'd expect them to: Wing, SEED, and 00. You're not gonna see many (if any) women-folk going crazy for Zeta or 0083. If they do like Gundam they like it for the bishounen only.

Dude. Zeta is my FAVORITE GUNDAM OF ALL TIME.
The Zeta turns into a jet plane. Zeon's secret base is inside MCDonalds. The series takes a more serious, darker tone than the original. What's not to love?

This was the first fansub I ever attempted to download, and it is still my favorite Gundam. And not because of 'bishies' like Char Aznable in Ray-Bans. Rolling Eyes

I LOVE Gunbuster, King Gainer, GaioGaiGar, Captain Harlock, Lupin the Third etc.

Yes I'm female, not old (I'm 20), not a yaoi fangirl, not a boy in a girl's body.

Sorry, I just had to put it out there, it was bothering me. Very Happy
You there! Yes, you. Be my girlfriend's new best friends. For she's also a fan of the super robot and real robots, not into yaoi(amen to that!), and wants more female friends that she can identify with!

Besides, women are simply better conversationalists, and I can use some practice. Anime smile

As for Kevin, newbie really shouldn't fly solo. Now pull up man! You need to recover or else, redefine the term "crash n' burn"! Shocked
eely225

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
stopher87 wrote:

That might work for J.D. but I think it's still a bit early in Kevin's case
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
eely225 wrote:
stopher87 wrote:

That might work for J.D. but I think it's still a bit early in Kevin's case

Your right... Kevin needs to say she smells like his mom first.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
*sigh...* too close to home... again.

Now the weird part is that Kevin's glasses change shape in the last two panels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dorian

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Maybe she's going to have him buy things for her. 107.2 and .3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8