• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Done] Purge: Hironori Toba (#57616) for Yosuke Toba (#40459)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
Yosuke Toba and Hironori Toba are separate readings of the same person, 鳥羽洋典. Evidence points towards Yōsuke being the correct reading for his given name.

Yosuke:
* His own Facebook page (it is private, but several of his friends are anime industry people and the kanji on Google search matches his name exactly)
* Unanimity in official English credits for North American releases: Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle, Paradise Kiss, Gurren Lagann, Angel Beats, and Gintama Movie all credit him as either "Yosuke" or "Yousuke".
* http://news.aniarc.com/angel-beats另一型態的結尾電視未放映的特別篇/news/7724

Hironori:
* http://www.drillspin.com/person/view/ARDSAX236573
* http://www.aninfo.info/staff/list_ruby_ta.html

I can't seem to find any Japanese sites that point towards the seemingly correct reading other than the Facebook page (but there appears to be little reason to doubt it, and I don't think the person would misread their own name). The only one providing the "correct" furigana is a Chinese website. Drillspin and Aninfo may be going off of a guess, though, and R1 distributors have official oversight with their credits (seems highly unlikely they would all point to the same reading if was just a translator guessing in every case). I'm finding it strange that this guy's reading isn't set in stone by even more official sources, since he's Aniplex's producer on some major recent properties like Angel Beats and Idolmaster. Anyone know any more sources that might prove his name? Still doesn't look to be much doubt in my opinion on this one, and Hironori should be purged for Yosuke if there's not any more evidence.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

If there was audio in the interview there should be a chance to hear people referring him with his full name (and "Toba-san" afterwards).

I'm a bit surprised to see you quoting aniarc. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

If there was audio in the interview there should be a chance to hear people referring him with his full name (and "Toba-san" afterwards).

There does seem to be some Idolmaster-related stuff on Niconico with his name tagged on it. I've listened through some of it, but I haven't had much luck in picking out his full name being said. Seems like he introduces himself by a nickname. If he does this all the time, that may be why some fan resources don't have his correct given name reading.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
He is listed as a guest for Anime Expo as "Yousuke Toba". Not only that, I also now find Japanese news articles related to Kill la Kill which all include the reading とば・ようすけ in the caption for his photo. Doesn't seem to be much doubt now.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
Done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1