• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: College Lecturer Pretending to Be Eva: 2.0's Honda Resigns

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
That's way if your famous you also have to put your face where your name is... Mr. Green
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that they look exactly alike otherwise the claim that the real person is the fake doesn't work. Evil twins are only allowed to use it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Man talk about identity theft. See when they found that out they should have confronted him during a class session. No violence. Just call him out some way or another. Could have been interesting.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
The movie Seven Pounds staring Will Smith came to mind.

Of course, whoever the impostor was in this case, he's not impersonating someone famous for a greater purpose other than his own selfish gain. What fools these mortals be.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Man my only question is what this fake Honda's body of work representative of his own skills? I mean if the dude could hold it down, I don't think it matters if he was usin a fake name or not..but if he's just shit kicking then oh well.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That's...interesting. Jeez.
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
i could understand how a fake student MIGHT be able to get into a class when s/he's not enrolled in the school...

pretending to be a professor/lecturer takes quite a set of balls to pull it off...

doesn't the school faculty checks into these things before allowing someone to speak/teach in front of a class???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
I suspect that lawsuit could be in the works if Khara finds it necessary. How much of Honda's image could have been shattered by this lecture? Tough to say since it's been going on for eight years now.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
"The fake Honda told people at Joshibi that "Takeshi Honda" is his working name, and that he left the field after having "trouble" with director Satoshi Kon during the production of Millennium Actress. The fake Honda further claimed that the real Honda is a disciple of his who took over his name and production résumé. Khara says all of these claims are false."

So how exactly did this work? Did he just show up freely admitting that his real name was whatever else but then somehow convinced people that he was in actuality Takeshi Honda (which was just his working name). And then he further explained that the reason that 'Takeshi Honda' was still working was because that was a different guy who had now assumed that persona and taken his place? And people bought this?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:43 am Reply with quote
And now that you mention it, there is nothing to say that anybody checked for credentials either. You would think somebody would check for at least that, or I.D. This continues to amaze me that he was still able to get away with what he was doing for the past eight years.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
Well he must not have been incompetant or else something would have been done sooner. Maybe he was a die-hard fan who knew he couldn't make it ACTUALLY animating, but could teach it really well, and so assumed the identity of his inspiration? I have no idea really, but the long time span makes me think he was doing a good job regardless of being an imposter, not to absolve him, but to give light to why it may have taken so long.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
This reminds me of a case here in Germany where the chief of a hospital was a woman who had never actually studied medicine.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:55 am Reply with quote
I sense there's a lot more to this story than Khara or the so-called "true current Honda" would like us to find out.

This could easily be more of a case of the so-called "true former Honda" breaching a confidentiality contract he was forced to make with Khara when he abandoned the production of Millennium Actress, which I'm sure has happened more than once in the anime industry.

/Conspiracy Theorist Moment Smile
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
I'm going back to bed. Nothing I hear today could possibly top this.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
it took 8 YEARS? Yeah, the guy musta bean pretty good. The sad part is that he may well have had the talent to actually pull off a real career. And he flushed that. Puss in Boots? It's pretty astounding that you could pull this off, but people want to believe in those whose work they respect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2