• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Judge Upholds U.S. Government's E-Book Pricing Settlement

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
So basic jurisprudence is an "unnecessary delay" because of the indictment. Sadly, this seems like the logic typical of our age, just like the fact that a third-world court deciding the same thing would be called "uncivilized".
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I love it when I see government privilege smacking up against government privilege. Jolly good show! On one side, we have so-called "copyrights," and on the other, the abysmal fiction of anti-trust. Fight!
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
Now that the E-Book has taken over publishing the price gouging has begone we should stay whe old e prifashion paper publishing and kept the prices down at least we would have a real choice in these matters. Crying or Very sad
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
I meant to say we should have stayed with the old paper manga at more affordable prices as a backup to E-Books so you do not have to buy a reader to read them this puts comics and books out of the price range of many people who can not afford these readers and what happens when your reader breaks down that will happen. This only a stop gap mesure price gouging will pick up the first chance the E-Book haveto do it. Mad
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
marcos torres toledo wrote:
I meant to say we should have stayed with the old paper manga at more affordable prices as a backup to E-Books so you do not have to buy a reader to read them this puts comics and books out of the price range of many people who can not afford these readers
Last I checked, most manga isn't available in any ereader format. I highly suspect that by the time ebooks become the predominant format there'll be plenty of used readers to go around, much like the used car market keeps the poor moving(though less so since Cash for Clunkers - hopefully nothing like the UAW will infect the ereader industry).
Quote:
[A]nd what happens when your reader breaks down that will happen.
And what happens when your car breaks down? You fix it or get a new one. Unlike physical books, you can make backups of ebooks, so you can actually keep them safer if you're so inclined.
Quote:
This only a stop gap mesure price gouging will pick up the first chance the E-Book haveto do it. Mad
The ebook market is still far from mature, so it's hardly unexpected or immoral for the publishers to experiment to find the level of the market; if they push prices too high, people will find other books to read or spend their money elsewhere since, while each book is a unique good, all goods compete with each other in the marketplace. Failure of the market(ie, consumers) to agree with you is not market failure. That and the FTC's allegations remain as yet unproven; a lot of antitrust "confessions" don't admit culpability and really trace back to the fact that you've got to appeal twice to even get the case into a real court(even if you win at the first level, the FTC just appeals to itself; strangely, the commission always finds that those it launches cases against are guilty).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1