• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Pictures to Open San Francisco Complex in August

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
I'm a San Francisco resident and this is awesome news! Japantown definitely needs something new to liven things up.
robo-ky

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote
i am not a san francisco resident, so i feel like i'm missing out on something cool, guess this means the anime industry isn't dead in america Smile
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:37 am Reply with quote
Sounds fun, a movie theater/retail outlet. Could be a good way to make money off the anime fans. Show the Death Note movies, then offer the viewers some DN merch after they're done watching. I like that way of anime companies making money outside of direct anime sales.

I've never been to San Francisco though, what is this Japantown?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
revilenigma

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote
ugh, why do I get the felling that this is going to give birth to a new type of Douchebag... the Anime Douchebag Sad
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
revilenigma wrote:
ugh, why do I get the felling that this is going to give birth to a new type of Douchebag... the Anime Douchebag Sad

How is this "new?" Wink

Can't let other people ruin or run your life. Just do the right thing.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is what Viz is spending its money on instead of releasing catalog items and keeping stuff in stock.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
revilenigma wrote:

I've seen them already. They wear one those flamboyant weird costume-like outfits. They think that they're the bad-ass by eating and drinking Pocky and UCC canned coffee. They crowd in SF Kinokuniya bookstore during weekends and festivals. They try to impress girls by pretending to know popular Anime or manga that girls like.

How do I know? I live two blocks from Japantown and I visit Japantown frequently to buy my manga.

Quote:
I've never been to San Francisco though, what is this Japantown?

You're not from the states, are you? Actually Japantown is one of the places where original Japanese immigrants settled in the US. They formed Japantown because racism was so heavy handed back decades ago. Now it's comprised of local Japanese restaurants and businesses.
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I honestly hope it doesn't end up like what was called The Sony Metreon in downtown San Francisco. They spent like $80 million to develop a hi-tech mall/entertainment center with The Playstation Store, Sony Store, several movie theaters, a museum thingy almost 10 years ago.

They sold the Metreon a couple of years ago to Westfield, now it's a ghetto-ass mall (complete with a murder shooting two years back). All the sony elements are gone and sadly the Playstore will be closing in June.
Sad Sad
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:38 am Reply with quote
stagedive_25 wrote:
I honestly hope it doesn't end up like what was called The Sony Metreon in downtown San Francisco. They spent like $80 million to develop a hi-tech mall/entertainment center with The Playstation Store, Sony Store, several movie theaters, a museum thingy almost 10 years ago.

They sold the Metreon a couple of years ago to Westfield, now it's a ghetto-ass mall (complete with a murder shooting two years back). All the sony elements are gone and sadly the Playstore will be closing in June.
Sad Sad

Hey, I JUST saw Watchmen there and I would hardly consider it run-down... although terribly under-utilized space-wise. You should feel free to visit the south side of Chicago or Houston sometime to see some REAL hair-raising malls.

I wouldn't worry though, seeing as how that whole tourist trap area is not really like Japantown at all. Here's hoping it's a big success. I know I'm interested.
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
You're right, there's place more ghetto than Sharpstown Mall in Houston. Oh man, that place is horrible beyond belief Mad Mad Mad I even witness a car jacking next to me.
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
You're right, there's place more ghetto than Sharpstown Mall in Houston. Oh man, that place is horrible beyond belief Mad Mad Mad I even witnessed a car jacking next to me.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
Alameda mall is pretty rough. Yeah, I've been out the Sharpstown game for a LONG time...
animaven

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
I was in Japantown last Saturday, and it was crowded. The new complex looks very unfinished, and I have my doubts that it will open in August. Nowhere did I see anyone walking around eating Pocky, but I DID buy some, brought it home and ate it. Yummy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1