• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-05-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
Another nice read as always Brian but shouldn't "bibles" be "Bibles?" Maybe I'm just being silly here or a jerk but if anything the grammar is verified as being correct. Sorry these things just bother some of us more I guess.

On another topic, hikikomori aren't all suffering from diseases. They just seem like another group of fans who don't understand when they aren't just normal people with a hobby.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Wise Stuff + However, once a hobby becomes a job it stops being a hobby, but pain is eased by knowing you love it. Wink

I agree with everything you said, but that last part can be such a double-edged sword. Making your hobby your occupation can be a dream come true, but it can also just ruin the fun for you. Depends on a lot of factors, of course, but that's always a danger. Smile

penguintruth wrote:
Pro-NGE Stuff

Hear hear, penguin. I love the characters in that show precisely because they're messed up and totally suck as heroes. Very Happy

Jih2 wrote:
Another nice read as always Brian but shouldn't "bibles" be "Bibles?"

It's only capitalized when it is The Bible, and not just a bible. Dictionary.com backs me up on that, but take that as you will. Smile

And thanks to Amy and Brian's suggestions, I added The Illustrator's Survival Kit to my Amazon cart. I have no interest in being an animator, but I am interested in learning about it. The other book they mentioned, Illusion of Life, is currently a bit out of my price range for the level of interest I have. Wink

It was nice to see the first questioner has actually put some previous effort into his idea and did some research. I agree with Brian that he should develop an actual business plan and put together something to demo to distributors and rights-holders. I wish him luck in his endeavors. Smile
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
I'm not sure if I would call those arbitrary mouth flaps "animated for the Japanese mouth". I think most people who watch subs just don't detect that the sync is more often than not pretty bad on the Japanese side as well (exceptions exist, of course). I rather think the acting is the deciding factor.

Made for TV anime dubs from the eighties may not have the most faithful scripting/translation, but the voice-acting was pretty good. Peter Cullen was in Saber Rider, for instance.

Voice-directing is another thing to consider. I'd love to have Andrea Romano handle an anime dub, but I don't think any R1 anime companies can afford her.
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
[quote="irishninja"]

Jih2 wrote:
Another nice read as always Brian but shouldn't "bibles" be "Bibles?"

It's only capitalized when it is The Bible, and not just a bible. Dictionary.com backs me up on that, but take that as you will. Smile

Alright, that sounds correct. Thanks for the information!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
On another topic, hikikomori aren't all suffering from diseases. They just seem like another group of fans who don't understand when they aren't just normal people with a hobby.

An inability to see you aren't normal is one of the hallmark signs of mental problems. Note I didn't say "disease;" I don't think they're all schizophrenic or bipolar or the like, but Japan is not like America that when you're having problems you go talk to someone.

And not all hikikkomori are otaku. They're just shut-ins who avoid human contact. Read the book version of Welcome to the NHK to see this perspective.
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
I'm too lazy to quote everyone I want to quote... So I'll just say random comments.

One of the "stupid" harem shows that I totatlly ADORE has to be Maburaho. I've watched it and rewatched it countless times in the past 3 years...

Saint Saiya IS awsome.

And to that one guy who said that girls in English dubs sound like squeaky teenagers... Err... Really? Squeaky girls in anime? Well that's completely preposterous... -_-'
DarkSaiyan00

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
After seeing this week's answerfan question, I just had to respond. My friend and I were just discussing this. The series that I forced myself to watch was Guren Laggann. I'm not kidding. My first impression from the first 4 episodes were, "this seems too childish" and "the humor is kinda off". I forced myself to sit through it and after episode 7/8 spoiler[where kamina dies] I was hooked. I marathoned the rest of the series, and I have to say, this is one of my all time favorites. Started off really slow, but ended up so epic.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
Alright, that sounds correct. Thanks for the information!

NP. Anime smile
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
Zirdante wrote:
(every woman sounds like a squeaky teenager)

Not that that statement is remotely true, but: And the Japanese dubs don't? Anyone who honestly thinks real Japanese people sound like the characters they hear in anime is a fool.

Quote:
If you don't like it, don't watch at all.

Listen to your own advice here. You seem not to have heard any dubs since 1987 but still complain. And with the same old arguments. I don't really hear any solid reason for listening to the Japanese other than "they did it first." I would urge you (and the David Mantraga fan in the article) to watch Le Chevalier D'Eon. That is one of the best English dubbed shows I have ever seen. (And frankly, Japanese language and honorifics seem horribly out of place in 18th century France.)
Devavrata

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
I can't agree more with Mitsuru Adachi as the choice. I have only read H2 and Touch through online scanlations, and I completely enjoyed the story. While readers may have the impression that the story is about baseball, it is actually not. It is a story about humans and their lifes. I am particulary commended Touch, as I enjoyed it more than H2. In Touch, I think Adachi has reached the same level of storytelling as Rumiko Takahashi has achieved in Maison Ikkoku. It will be a spoiler if I leak the plot here, but I recommend you guys to check it.

Both H2 and Touch have been adapted to anime, but I think it will be a long time before we see a proper US release (Blu-Ray anyone ?). Together with Yawara (partially released), H2 and Touch topped my list of to-buy anime.
BrianaTheBard

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
BrianaTheBard wrote:
THOUGHTLESS, UNORIGINAL EVA HATE BANDWAGON NONESENSE

Duhr huhr, yeah, Shinji is such a wuss, why can't he shut up about the mind-crippling life he lives every day that any lesser person would kill themselves doing? He should really be more like shallow, obnoxious super robot characters like Kouji Kabuto or Kamina.

What? I really didn't enjoy Evangelion. I forced myself through it because everybody told me it was a "work of art" even though I really disliked it. I'm not bashing people that do like it, I bashing the show itself. If you enjoyed it, power to you because I found nothing good about it to keep me into the story. Only good part about the ending was that "Shinji and Asuka go to school" scene which just made me laugh until my gut hurt.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not much of a sports anime fan but I do enjoy Eyeshield 21 manga for its art. So just how good is Adachi's works? I like many new fans discovered him through the Cross Game Anime. The first episode really tugged at me and being a virgin to his work, caught me off guard. Looking to see what else he did I started digging. Just 3 weeks ago I discovered the fansubs to his Touch series. Just 2 week ago I finished watching all 100 some episodes. Just last week? I finished all of the available Cross Game Scanlations 14 volumes I believe. That's just how good it is.

Like alot of other people point out his work is more focused on the character's rather then the sport itself. You can say the actual games/training parts takes up about 20-30% with the rest being about the characters and their lives or other slice of life moments with looming drama and character drive. His works really seems made to be animated, taking advantage of silent moments and character reactions with alot of subtlity and confidence in his character development.

Although the 4th wall jokes seem a little weird, they undoubtly help his thought process and creative drive when he gets back to the story. Weird but never forced. Plus he cuts back on them by the first few volumes in Cross Games. If you had to compare his work to others I personally feel his work gives off a similar feeling Peanuts and Calvin and Hobbes gave off but presenting alot of depth in character and story common in manga rather then more random slice of life in US comic strips. Its kind of weird to explain. You find yourself chuckling to the jokes and antics of the characters but you also find yourself drawn to them and relating to them. Even the side characters. Personally I enjoy Volume... 13 was it? One of my favorite volumes. spoiler[My favorite moment probably has to be when some of the team members are trying to ask out the lead female character (you'll have to forgive me for some of the inaccuracies. dont have the scans on hand): "Tsukishima if I hit 2 runs will you go on a date with me?" "If steal 2 bases!" "3 on bases and we'll date!" "What do you think Baseball is about?!" "...If I hit 2 home runs... No nevermind..." "Oh don't worry, I'll throw double digit strikeouts so please, no date." "..." "Is our pitcher getting his running execrise in?" "Yes he is." Tsukishima chases last guy with a bat.]

It is great stuff and I really have to thank the ANN staff for their reviews. If it wasn't for you guys I would have missed out on a truly genuine series and experience I haven't felt for some time in anime. It was nice to feel that longing for the next addition to a series again. Sometimes when you feel overloaded with anime you just either need a break from the genre or that one different anime to really spark that fire in you again. Its funny since it saved my sanity but is also driving me crazy in anticipation.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
ryogasasaki wrote:
Saint Saiya IS awsome.

"Saint Seiya! PEGASASU no you niiiiiii!" Count me in as another member of the "guilty pleasure" Saint Seiya club.

I'd also second (third?) the recommendations for Animator's Survival Kit and Illusion of Life--especially the former. It is absolutely amazing and practically teaches you everything there is to know about character animation. I'd also toss in Cartoon Animation by Preston Blair, which kind of completes the holy trinity of "how to create great animation" books.

Concerning Masaaki Yuasa, he's actually a person who, while not getting much recognition and credit in popular anime fandom, is proving to be a HUGE inspiration to the newest generation of up-and-coming animators. I attended the CalArts Producer's Show at the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences last night (a juried show judged and sponsored by Disney, Pixar, Laika and other big studios), and the Mind Game influence in the collective body of work was palpable. I guarantee that Yuasa will join the ranks of Richard Williams, Eyvind Earle, Yuri Norstein and other animation greats in terms of scope and influence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NanayaDestruct

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Hikkikomori” shut-ins lap up doggerel like To-Love Ru and Sekirei like mana from heaven. Sadly, loser Otaku are so dedicated to their lifestyles as empty, soulless recluses that the concept of “shame” doesn't seem to penetrate. So unfortunately any sort of criticism or advice from outside sources that could tell these people that they could, I dunno, fall in love with a real girl or maybe even have consensual sex with a real girl if they just stepped out into the bustling utopia of a social existence... it just hits an impenetrable wall, like gnat on a car's windshield.

Wow, you are a total ass. I mean, there is being funny and witty and even cracking a few jokes. But this is downright insulting a large group of people simply due to the fact that you don't understand them. Seriously, is your reason for disliking them only because they are different from you? How low can you people get? ANIMEnewsnetwork is a website about ANIME and if there is clearly a large group of ANIME fans that are like this then perhaps you should avoid brutally insulting part of your target audience. That type of writing will get you nowhere fast outside of the internet.

Honestly, after the whole lolicon thing I was like "that was fun. ah, whatever". I mostly argued that just for the fun of it. But this is completely different. This type of thing really makes me sick. I can't stand people like you at all.

Not to mention that you said you can't stand visual novels or anime based on them. That is a huge generalization. You realize there are tons of different genres of visual novels. Romance (not just harem romance, either), mystery, action, horror, thriller, ect. ect. You just lumped them all together. If you hate every genre within visual novels than that basically just means you hate anime in general. Then why the hell are you writing for this website.

I swear, this place is so biased it's annoying. ANN needs some new people working various different things to balance out people like you, which seem to currently populate 100% of this place.

If only there was a good website for anime news and features that didn't directly insult me. That would be nice.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
momogoldfish wrote:
I'd like to nominate the Hitman Reborn! anime for this week's answer man. It was insanely popular on Crunchyroll (this was back in the days when it was still an illegal org) and that got me curious since you don't usually see fangirls fawning over a crazy guy in underwear who wasn't even cute.

...so I watched the first episode which was weird and mediocre...
...then I gave it another chance and luckily the episodes were finally funny. None of the episodes were particularily stellar but some strange gravity just kept on pulling me back...

...and then I reached the Kokuyou arc and ended up marathoning the whole thing, and the Varia arc after that (it was particularily bad since this was during the period I was supposed to be swotting for exams.)

So now I am amongst the people who scream out the 'it gets better!' encouragement you see so often in the Reborn! fandom, and trust me...it does.

i'm gonna second Hitman Reborn. this show started off stupid as hell, but it got pretty cool after the Varia arc.

i'll also add Air. the show was cutesy moe garbage through and through... so the tragic ending was a plus for me Very Happy

Last edited by v1cious on Fri May 08, 2009 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5