• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most Visually Striking Anime Productions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayakuguri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... Bodyguard? I'd have chosen Sebastian Michaelis had he been on the list.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd prefer Duuz Delax Rex from Angel Links as my bodyguard. He's just too cool.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It's almost a decade-old and was never licensed for American release, but I gotta admit I'm a little sad to see no mention of Windy Tales (Fuujin Monogatari), where the weirdly-angular characters look sort of hand-drawn and sort of like paper-cutouts, but paper-cutouts in a completely different way from South Park as they're animated in a fluid and dynamic way and don't just have a few static poses, Maybe it's kind of like someone sketched these girls on paper and then cut them out with scissors and outlined it. (Yes, I know it's all done digitally.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
wait, the list of potential bodyguards isn't complete without The Major, no? That'd be Motoko Kusanagi, who would always be a great bodyguard, assuming you were actually worth guarding...

As for the list of visual stuffs... I think you should have just gone by the Director, and not bothered calling out specific productions... each one has a style that jumps out at you if you look back at the works they have done.

Ultimately it's hard because of ALL the amazing stuff that's out there, and how much we, each of us has never seen. One scene or other, one emotion or other...
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Do I have to be the one to point out that, although I love the show, Bakemonogatari visually style is a copy of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei. Its not a bad thing, I like it, but visually the shows seem really similar and Sensei came out first and probably looks better as well, although only by a bit.

And yes Gankatsuou should be near the top of this list.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I was always surprised that Kurozuka from MADHOUSE was never licensed. It was bloody and Violent and had very visually creative and beautiful action sequences and environments. Thought it would have been a no brainer.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
It's almost a decade-old and was never licensed for American release, but I gotta admit I'm a little sad to see no mention of Windy Tales (Fuujin Monogatari),

I enjoyed that one enough to import the R2 DVDs after it seemed that no US company was going to pick it up. It was a nice product from Production IG. Kenji Kawai did the music, Oshii looked over the crew's shoulders, and it looked beautifully different. Heck, it had flying cats! ANN's encyclopedia entry for Windy Tales
rojse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
When I think of visually-striking anime, I think of "Kaiba" - the grossly-distorted character designs reminiscient of some of the earliest anime, and the strange and elaborate designs of multiple fantasy worlds and objects, and all of this visual inventiveness fit in so well with the plot of the anime itself.
dxthegreat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Just to beat the dead horse a bit more, Gankutsuou was the first anime to pop in my mind when i first saw the title of this list.

I'll also vouch for rojse's nomination of kaiba.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Time will tell whether Shinbo developed an interesting gimmick that will lose its luster over time or if he'll continue on from Madoka, Bakemonogatari, and Zetsubo-sensei with continued visual ingenuity.

Well, he's been experimenting with exploiting the artifice of animation since Yamamoto Yohko TV, from 1999 [particularly see ep 9]. Or, SoulTaker's only a few years younger, and there's really only two reasons to watch that, halko momoi's performance and shinbo's direction. Or Negima!?, where we see some of the techniques later deployed in Bakemonogatari [and then Ala Alba; same material, same director, played dead straight. Not a one-trick pony], or the extremely limited animation of Hidamari Sketch, or what-have-you.
Konopan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Why not just mention shaft stuff all in one blurb? A space for Takeshi Koike or Umakoshi or, say, just maybe, Evangelion/EOE.

Heck, what about Kanashimi no Belladonna and the like?

Where's Angel's Egg?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
It's fun reading the comments to remind me about titles that I need to check out.

I agree with a lot of the "honorable mentions" that are listed.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
So where's Tatsuya Ishihara on this list? His is the the only work that I could call "visually striking" while firmly remaining "normal". If I had to list one, it'd be the six episodes that form The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and, in particular, Kyon's main conversations with the abnormal trio.

I was floored by Nagato's scene the first time I saw it. Positioning, coloring, animation {this is where Bakemonotgatari loses out on} and intriguing use of text. But rather than just the basic "Hey look at this" Shaft usage, Ishihara loves uses these techniques to service the story. In this, yes, Yuki's an Alien and her apartment's her home planet. Oh, she spent her time watching Kyon and Haruhi from there, not spoken but rather shown...

My bodyguard would definately be Hayate as he has the ultimate power of narrative convenience.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Do I have to be the one to point out that, although I love the show, Bakemonogatari visually style is a copy of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei. Its not a bad thing, I like it, but visually the shows seem really similar and Sensei came out first and probably looks better as well, although only by a bit.

And yes Gankatsuou should be near the top of this list.

It's a misnomer to call it a "copy" when they're made by the same person.

Quote:
So where's Tatsuya Ishihara on this list?

While I personally enjoyed several of the Key works he adapted, I wouldn't classify high-budget moe style as visually striking. They all are pleasant to look at, similar to the how a previous poster mentioned Moribito, but they don't do anything unique artistically. It's actually a separate comment on the industry when the term "visually striking" is equated to "doesn't look cheap".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee wrote:
I however, will be preparing for the nine months of rain Washington pours in every year like clockwork.

Assuming you're talking about Washington State, I have to say that you need to be more specific. The eastern parts of the state have very little rainfall. Meanwhile, Seattle - renowned for its rain - gets less rain and more sunshine hours than most parts of New Zealand (including my hometown), and I don't exactly live in a tropical rainforest. Seattle also gets less rain than New York City or Atlanta. The average amount of rain the state as a whole receives is actually pretty average compared to most places in the world that aren't deserts.

There, you've all just had your daily dose of a shattered preconception.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7