• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Sephiroth & Riku Static Arts

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wouldn't mind writing for games, in fact, but I'm suck when it comes to game mechanics (I really do play games for the story), so I'm not sure I could write something that would integrate easily into a playable medium.

Hehe, the only reason why I play Kingdom Hearts to begin with is the story. I honestly dislike a lot the way the gameplay is made... It's so repetitive.

rawr
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:

Yes, yes, YES!!!

I mean, *ahem*, awesome topic. You always hear the complaint that kids these days "would prefer a video game to a book." And I always argue that games are just as legit as books. I'm a librarian and English - Creative Writing major (so it always surprises people when I take this stance), and I can tell you that what the majority of Americans read is as "literary" as any video game with a piss poor plot.

Ug, ain't that the truth. People read so much trash "literature."

I play games for their stories, too. And some of them have amazing stories, and great writing as well.

I think getting to write a thesis on something you really love is a great opportunity. I mean, I guess that's the point though; to write it on something you're really interested in researching.

As for the figures...they both look like they have such vapid expressions. Good sculpting though, except that, as has been mentioned, their action figure line is sculpted just as well, and they're WAY cheaper.
hime rules

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
they are fairly well made toys if you look at them closely lol only draw back is that you can't rlly pose them
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
Bricken wrote:
The thesis was my college Honors thesis; it didn't really have to be 150 pages, I'm just insane. It was about trying to prove videogames were a legitimate art form through a critical analysis of Final Fantasy VII, examining both the literary and cinematic techniques it used, as well as how it manipulated its interactivity to create meaning and feeling. In a long and nerdy life, it remains the nerdiest thing I have ever done.

And yes, I may own a Darth Tater. Maybe.

Yes, yes, YES!!!

I mean, *ahem*, awesome topic. You always hear the complaint that kids these days "would prefer a video game to a book." And I always argue that games are just as legit as books. I'm a librarian and English - Creative Writing major (so it always surprises people when I take this stance), and I can tell you that what the majority of Americans read is as "literary" as any video game with a piss poor plot.

I wouldn't mind writing for games, in fact, but I'm suck when it comes to game mechanics (I really do play games for the story), so I'm not sure I could write something that would integrate easily into a playable medium.

It's okay. Xenosaga set a precedent for interactive movies. I for one would play another game like it. And I'll give another "amen" to the majority of what Americans read as not being literary. Purely based on stories, I'd say the average big-budget RPG beats out The DaVinci Code on any given day of the week. That's not to mention some of the books that *don't* sell that well either. That being said, there are some true masterpieces in written form that have been released in the last ten years (George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" and Tad Williams' "Otherland" to name a couple), whereas RPGs have yet to release a true masterpiece in terms of story.

Anyway, what I ACTUALLY logged on to say was that I just bought this month's (Japanese) copy of Monthly Shonen Gangan, and in the front pages, the Cloud Static Arts figure was announced as the next part of this collection. I also found a pic of the Advent Children Static Arts picture I was talking about. Go here: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/ff-figures-8.jpg
Orodreth

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
His arm raised… well, I'm not sure why. He's probably summoning magic or something, but since there's no representation of that by his arm, he looks kind of like he's raising his hand in class to ask a question.

I think it's supposed to look like the move Sephiroth makes in FFVII: Advent Children, when he's fighting Cloud on top of those buildings. When he makes that move the air gets all dark and clouded, so you something like magic/materia I'd say =S
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Orodreth wrote:
I think it's supposed to look like the move Sephiroth makes in FFVII: Advent Children, when he's fighting Cloud on top of those buildings. When he makes that move the air gets all dark and clouded, so you something like magic/materia I'd say =S

I'd agree with you, were it not for that this statue of Sephiroth appears to be wearing his game outfit and not the movie one.
ll Miya ll

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
The "black goo" is that uhh.. goo in the intro of Kingdom Hearts 1 that sucks Riku up as for the angel wing I have no idea when I finished the whole series
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2