• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Light Novels Have 5.85 Million Copies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
egoist wrote:
This could be the new Naruto. I'm looking forward to it, Naruto II.

Not likely. It's limited in episode length, so while it may have a popularity spike for several months, the fervor will eventually calm down and fade. It's not going to cause cosplayers and meme-spouters to float around conventions for a decade.

It did however spark meme that will be around for a few years thanks to extra chapter... but yeah I'm in agreement with ya.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
egoist wrote:

Not likely. It's limited in episode length, so while it may have a popularity spike for several months, the fervor will eventually calm down and fade. It's not going to cause cosplayers and meme-spouters to float around conventions for a decade.

More than likely it'll be closer to Index or Shana, where they have a new 25 episode season every couple years.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
egoist wrote:

It's limited in episode length,

That's why I said "it could be".
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
>Kindle

fudge that stupid e-book shit, physical copy or bust.
Physical Space is a premium. Also, carrying multiple physical books is for chumps and lesser morons.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
In your opinion. I used to bring to like 3 books in my backpack evey day to school. Well worth it.

E-books can f*ck off and die. They won't, I know, but I'll never read one as long as I'm alive.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
In your opinion. I used to bring to like 3 books in my backpack evey day to school. Well worth it.

E-books can f*ck off and die. They won't, I know, but I'll never read one as long as I'm alive.

Only e-books I'd read are school textbooks, as they're often not worth their weight.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

E-books can fudge off and die. They won't, I know, but I'll never read one as long as I'm alive.
I used to walk FIFTEEN MILES to school* and I LIKED IT!

But that's no excuse dood.

Ebooks are the future, like it or lump it, physical books will always be there, lord knows the superior format for music hasn't done anything to consign CD's to the pit of obsolescence, but Ebooks and ereaders are the future of the medium and the sooner Japan realises that it might be a viable way to get LN's out there the better for everyone involved.

And you sitting there and going "NO, BABY WANT UNPROGRESS!" isn't going to do much to help, skip.

*Disclaimer: probably not true, my HS was about 5 minutes down the road by foot.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
I'm not interested in a digital future for anything physical related. You don't actually own it and you can't build a collection if its just a file.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
And you can't pass it down to your kids, but maybe Bruce Willis will win that for us. Digital things are convenient, sure, they're killing newspapers for their expedience, but do subscribe to digital newsletters, for money? I don't like the idea of paying so much into digital collections because of the uncertainty of the internet and electronics. Piracy and DRM free helps alleviate the woes of your EULA suddenly disappearing along with your collection, but books are still nice to have.

Maybe it's just me, but I think a gift of an e-book would be an awful present. Call me a old-fashioned, backwards, unprogressive luddite all you want – digital things are bad gifts.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
Until ereaders have flippable pages, physical books will have a large share of the market. A number of them will probably retreat into the world of POD, though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
We have fansub collection.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Who is "we" and what does that have to do with the topic? I'm watching the anime on Crunchyroll, personally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
We have fansub collection.

An enurstol post without an emoticon?

I . . . I don't know what to believe in anymore.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'm not interested in a digital future for anything physical related. You don't actually own it and you can't build a collection if its just a file.

Yeah I realize this however we people have something called space and where are given a limited amount to live in. I love manga, books and magazines but it's much easier on me to have e-copies stored on pc then cause clutter when and pack/unpack when I have to move.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Physical Space is just as limited as digital space, so I've never understood that argument. It just comes down to people preferring the ease of not having to get up and go to their shelf, and just being able to click an icon or whatever. While thats nice, its not really owning it, so its pointless to a collector.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4