• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime food: Does a series entice you to try it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikari1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote
Can anyone descibe what miso soup actually tastes like? Does it have anythign more familiar in terms of taste that it can be compared to. I've not managed to try it yet but Im planning on ordering it in some form at the japanese restauarant just down the road. I dont want to order something that im really not going to like is all.
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Miso soup in general is just a salty, bland soup. You standard miso is dashi + miso paste + tofu + seaweed. You may not think it's the best thing ever, but I think it would be pretty hard to hate it. Many Japanese and even Chinese restaurants include a small bowl of miso soup with meals, so there is really no reason to worry about ordering it by itself.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Miso soup in general is just a salty, bland soup. You standard miso is dashi + miso paste + tofu + seaweed. You may not think it's the best thing ever, but I think it would be pretty hard to hate it. Many Japanese and even Chinese restaurants include a small bowl of miso soup with meals, so there is really no reason to worry about ordering it by itself

Thanks. Ill give it a go anyway as I'm always trying new things....as long as it doesnt involve too much fish. Im looking forward to trying Ramen for the first time aswell.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
Quote:
Miso soup in general is just a salty, bland soup. You standard miso is dashi + miso paste + tofu + seaweed. You may not think it's the best thing ever, but I think it would be pretty hard to hate it. Many Japanese and even Chinese restaurants include a small bowl of miso soup with meals, so there is really no reason to worry about ordering it by itself

Thanks. Ill give it a go anyway as I'm always trying new things....as long as it doesnt involve too much fish. Im looking forward to trying Ramen for the first time aswell.

Ya know you can also add stuff to it. No one is forcing you to do it the traditional way. I myself when making Miso soup add some sliced mushrooms and some ginger to it. Maybe some seasonings too.

Anime has influenced me to try new foods. However I'm a chef and I love trying new foods anyways so it's not like anime is somehow the only medium that has gotten me interested in new foods. I love trying new foods. Especially cuisine from around the world. Anime is just one specific example of a medium that has given me ideas of new foods to try. Stuff like miso soup, tempura, takoyaki, sushi, gyoza, and even unagi. I love trying different cultural cuisines and anime is several cases has piqued my interest for certain Japanese dishes. I've even bought my own bento box for making my own lunches. Though I don't necessarily just make Japanese dishes to put in it. I mean it's great for holding any kind of pre-made lunch heh. Plus it's environmentally friendly as by using a bento box, or good ole classic metal lunch tin, you save on the usage of paper bags and plastic bags. So it's fun and environmentally sound heh.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
I was a big fan of Japanese cuisine before becoming an anime addict, so my mouth tends to water when ever I see anime food. I've been watching a lot of school romances lately, and apparently preparing a lunch box (bento) for the object of your crush (whom you can never, ever, ever, ever directly confess your feelings to) is a popular activity.

Munching on rice balls seems to be big and curry often appears to be a meal of choice as well. I'm glad I'm having lunch right now, myself (a delicious helping of bulgogi as it happens...)
Otaku-Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
I don't know about you guys, but as soon as I see someone in an anime eating ramen or curry, I drive up to my local asian food store and get me some. You have to get the REAL asian ramen, not the ones that you see in every room in college dorms (I think the brand is called Maruchan.) Get the ones made by either Sapporo Ichiban or Korean brand Nong Shim.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I've definatly been enticed to try "Anime food", especially melon bread, as it was featured in Shakugan no Shana. I actually purchased this lousy mexican bread that looked simular, but alas, it was not melon bread. Anyone know where to find it?

I also became addicted to Pocky and Ramen, been wanting to go to an actual ramen stand recently.
curiousMonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Anime only really made want to go to Japan then anything else so I can understand some of the shinto/culture references in the anime. But I was always curious about beef-flavored ice cream and some of the whacky drinks , like the soda with the glass-ball in it. I forgot what they call it.
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
curiousMonkey wrote:
like the soda with the glass-ball in it. I forgot what they call it.

Ramune. Smile
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Shakugan No Shana. One word. Melon bread. Looked it up and supposedly it's just cheap dough that's sweet and it's popular in Japan. Only reason I wanna try it is because if I recall, every episode in the first season had a shot of her eating it, complaining about it... Every episode dedicated at least 3 mins for Melon bread. Well if you hear it a lot, it makes u wanna try it. Plus I like sweet things.
bungeeapple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
i discovered pocky because of onegai teacher and i've been eating it ever since! i also started my foray into japanese foods because of the effect of some anime. we had a japanese restaurant on campus and they serve the best japanese food! i really love ramen and a die-hard sushi fan. Laughing i just can't eat wasabi though, i just can'T Confused there are a lot of good japanese sweets, especially the chocolates made by meiji. i love their apollo candy (chocolate and strawberry) and the meiji black chocolate.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:32 am Reply with quote
Definitely roast chicken. In real life it's just not that tasty, yet in anime and films it seems too damn tasty. Perhaps rice, too, since Japanese's rice looks bland and tasteless. Hmm, except for Japanese McDonald's not really much.
Never thought about melon bread as it must taste like melon bread.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:09 am Reply with quote
Dunno about Japanese food. I Like the Idea of Onigiri and Ramen but alot of other stuff just seems bland. Though depending on the freshness of the ingredient's I am sure the seafood could be wonderful. What I DO have an unhealthy obsession with are chinese meat buns. You know those ones that look like those hard chalky candy on a biscuit things? They appeared as health ups in a game called Dynasty Warriors and for some fickle little reason I always found myself salivating at the hearty gulp sounds your characters made when they ate them. Lucky B*st*rds.

Personally I grew up on Lebanese cuisine. Which I can tell you for nothing is abosolutely fantastic. I think alot of the attraction for japanese cuisine comes from the blandness of their local cuisine. Even at it's finest western cooking basically consists of soaking/heating meat then boiling vegetables to go with it. Admittedly this is GOOD, they are very good at it I am not cirticising western cooking for it's quality. Only it's lack of imagination. And that's the charm of japanese food I think. It is often turned with considerable skill into something that looks not alot like the original product. In short their presentation is perhaps the finest in the world. I don't really understand the attraction to stuff like ramune soda. I mean it's basically just lemonade right? I think this is a case of seeing someone drink something that looks like the most super refreshyeshyest thing in the world and not knowing how it tastes so you makeup the best taste you can and think your in for that. Same with alot of japenese cooking seen in Anime. It will often look far better than it actually is.
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
There is a some food i've tried, thanks to anime, and plenty more that I would like to try. However, there are a few things which make it tough for me, not the least of which is being a vegetarian.

No, i'm not a vegeatarian (note, thats vegetarian, NOT vegan) because "awww, I feel sorry for the animals", but because when I made the decision about 10 or so years ago, I needed to lose weight, and it was the easiest way to go about it. Since then, I rarely go to any fast food restaurant, and that really helps.

Another thing about liking/not liking Japanese food is, I love spicy food. I like hot flavors. Not hot for the sake of hot, which has become a craze the last few years, but lets say there's not much in my diet that I can't or won't put hot sauce on.

Japanese menu items that have been listed recently, on the current page(s), some I have tried, some I haven't. Miso soup and tempura are easy to find, and though I haven't found any ramen(real stuff, not the 10-for-a-dollar variety), I have found where I can get fried soba, which I have fallen in love with. One thing about onigiri - I pretty much have to make those myself. There are a few places around here that I can get sushi & gyoza, but they don't make nor carry onigiri. When i've asked, I get the reply or look of disdain, apparently it's considered "poor people's food", and these places want to seem upscale.

Of items (besides real-deal ramen) that i haven't found, the one i'd really like to get are taiyaki (those fish-shaped pastries with filling), and the two things that i'd stay away from are takoyaki (just can't see eating octopi), and squid. Every time I see an anime character eating squid jerky on a stick, the gag reflex kicks in automatically.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
I've wanted to try Takoyaki ever since I about it in Azumanga Daioh. I really wanna try Melon Bread. There's a huge Japanese grocery store in chicago (don't remember the name, but I'm sure someone here knows of it) that will no doubt have it, so I'll have to make a trip down there some time.

Oh, and that sweet bean paste too. It's supposed to be really sweet (hence the name), but I can't imagine beans tasting like anything other than beans. Unless they're Jelly beans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6