• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime food: Does a series entice you to try it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
I have always wondered what melon bread tastes like (Shakugan no Shana). Actually what is melon bread, melon flavoured bread?
I recently tried pocky, but I prefer normal digestive biscuits.

I've only had water melon and water melon favored water. Never have had melon favored bread, but that really doesn't sound that good either.

I've never understood why pocky is such a big deal and why some anime fan swear by the stuff. Instead of spending tons of money on expensive pretzels with chocolate, why not buy regular pretzels and dip them in chocolate? For store brand items, this might run you under 2-3 dollars.

But I much rather consume healthier foods that are whole grain and are actually nutritious. Too much salt is really bad for the human heart and may cause Diabetes type 2.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
Since my last posts, I've been able to finally try okonomiyaki and curry pan.

DIY okonomiyaki was a little tricky, but the place I went to with my friends had an instruction sheet. We made two little okonomiyaki instead of one big one (recommended for noobs). We tried the "modern yaki" which comes with noodles. Tried it with all sorts of toppings, like bonito flakes, mayonnaise, sauces... It was delicious! I can't wait to go back again.

We also tried the Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki, but that one the cooks had to do because it's too hard for patrons to do. According to Wikipedia, it's layered ingredients instead of all mixed up. It also had noodles. It was a bit heavy for us, and not as good as the mixed up kind.

Curry pan I finally found at a restaurant. It's like a yummy fried potato patty covered in panko (breadcrumbs) and stuffed with little bits of meat and veggies and a curry sauce.

Last edited by kyokun703 on Sat May 15, 2010 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
I'd like to try melonpan, too. But honestly, I love sukonbu Razz (Gintama's Kagura often eats that)

And while apples aren't an "anime food" per se, I know a series that they remind me of. Especially big, red crunchy ones. Mmm.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Octopus is actually rather tasteless. I was in turky once and had a stew that had octopus in it and I only noticed it the second time I had it when i picked up an unidentified piece of white meat that had suckers on it. Initially my reaction was very bad ofc lol I was only like 14. But once I calmed down I realised it can't have tasted that bad. I have happily eaten octopus since.

Squid is another matter I loathe whole squid but once in palma I had something where they got loads of baby squid and friend them up like white bait and that took me quite a while to work up the courage to try but after I did I was inhaling them.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Naruto, I now understand the importance of ramen.

It's a godsend for college students.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Melon bread is a sweet bread that isn't made with melon or taste like melon. I believe it's called melon bread because its a round bun shape and has a yellow color. It has a crisp sugary top and is fluffy inside. It is very tasty. Best when fresh and still crisp.

An, sweet bean paste, is made with red adzuki beans and sugar, cooked until soft and mashed. It is indespensible for many desserts and dishes. It too is very tasty.

Miso soup is a Japanese staple and can be made any number of ways with any kind of miso. One of my favorites.

I'm also fond of sukiyaki and shabu shabu, both hotpots. Actually, I guess you could say I like hotpots period.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
When a food is used for comedic reasons like natto, no.
Now when the food is showcased in an appetizing way I do get curious on how the real dish would taste.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Thanks to Naruto, I now understand the importance of ramen.

It's a godsend for college students.

You had to see Naruto to figure that out? The 15-cent price tag didn't tip you off?
AnimeAtheist

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I first wanted to try Ramen after seeing it in Naruto, and got the chance a couple months ago and it has become one of my favourite foods (specifically Pork Miso Ramen).

Anime in general made me want to try pocky, and then (here in England) Mikado was released and i love it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I discovered Pocky this way (not carried much near me and the one place carries it for $3/box) and now I'm addicted.

The Safeways near me carries it and because of Please Teacher I went and tried it. I liked it but I stopped buying it when I read the ingredients. It is made with hydrogenated oils and you should not eat it.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the biggest instance of this for me was I when marathoned over 150 Yugioh GX dubbed episodes 2 summers ago. 4kids gave a character the name of Chumley and he would constantly make comparisons or references to grilled cheese. Though I have had grilled cheese a number of times prior to seeing it, I think that really got me into wanting to consume grilled cheese more.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I remember back in 04-05 I'd get the new AzuDai, Getbackers, and Kaleidostar DVDs as they came out, and go to suncoast or Waldenbooks and buy Two boxes of pocky and eat it while watching my anime. I had a hard time justifying the 4 dollars per box of Pocky (Suncoast was ridiculous, I don't miss it at all). I just about creamed my pants when I saw walmart had it for less than a buck. Now you can find it in more places so the novelty is gone.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
It's still good stuff though. I'm always on the lookout for all the various flavors - every once in a while one of them will show up somewhere.

Some of them are pretty good.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quote
As I watched Angel Beats!, I saw Mapo Tofu in it. Once the characters' mouths were on fire, I knew I needed to eat it. I love spicy food oh so very much, and I love tofu too.

Spicy + Tofu = Awesome

... I hope.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
I suppose so. Kero in Cardcaptor Sakura way back when got me into pocky, and the Maid-sama anime now has me addicted to Omurice. I live Omurice. It's a very easy to make, vegetarian friendly dish.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6