• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Details of the Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senna

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to check out Avalon Code; most everything I've heard about it tells me that I'll like it a lot.

Also, bonus points for the Threads of Fate mention! Despite its relative simplicity and short length, it's probably my favorite PS1 game.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Nintendo had that exact same Fire Emblem booth at Anime Central this past weekend.
Same booth at Kansas City Planet Comicon back in March when the game was just released. I guess it really making it's rounds to the various comic and anime cons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I would have never expected NISA to actually license Sakura Wars. I've been keeping my eye on this series for several years now, but I didn't expect this the series to ever be licensed.

But I haven't bought a NISA title since Phantom Brave and that was nearly five years ago I think. But sometime in the near future, I am thinking about buying the Disega game for Nintendo Dual Screen.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not shown: The scene where she sees Ogami talking to another girl and stabs him 34 times.

Oh god, please don't reference that extremely disturbing show.... The only part of it I saw was the ending, after all...

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Nintendo Dual Screen.

Why would you say that?
Sirgil Grey

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to picking up Sakura Wars for the Wii alright, and Bionic Commando is on my PS3 list for the coming month already!

Although it's interesting to note that when discussing the only PS3 only game in this list, ANN makes a point of declaring it unoriginal and then when they get to the only PSP only game, they make a point of saying there's going to be a DS version anyway. I wouldn't really take note, but so little is said about either game besides this...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I read the review for Avalon Code on RPGFan a few weeks ago. It certainly is a fresh new concept. It sort of reminds me of Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicle's Georama systems but it's even more in-depth that that. A shame I don't own a DS or I'd give that one a try. Being able to choose who lives in the new world is a unique idea for an RPG. Usually all we get are games about saving the world from some maniac or entity, but this is certainly an eye-opener.

Nine kind of almost looks like a carbon copy of Asch the Bloody from Tales of the Abyss. Of course I know some freaky fangirls are going to shoot me for saying that.

And woot for Mana Khemia 2. About damn time they announced it. I was getting concerned for a while.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu May 14, 2009 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
LuScr

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The storyline, while really impressive for an age when RPGs were making tense baby-steps into narrative depth, is a patchwork of hackneyed anime standards, with a last-act twist that takes angelic video-game symbolism to ridiculous new heights.

That's putting it mildly. I couldn't quite believe it when I realized just where the story was going; ever since then, I've wondered how big a role that might have played in no one bringing the game over.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
There's now evidence that SEGA is planning a new console.

First of all I want you to take a look at these links:

First of all I want you to take a look at these links: The trademark was filed on Friday January 30,2009 http://www.siliconera.com/2009/02/04...cade-hardware/

Three trademarks popped up for use with video game software, arcade game boards, stand alone game machines and arcade game machines with built-in screens. The trademarks appear to be linked and are for "RINGWIDE," "RINGEDGE" and a logo with rings."

Now I know it may sound like it's arcade hardware only, but you'll notice that SEGA patent the hardware for sale and use in the U.S. and Europe as well. Now why would SEGA trademark arcade boards for use outside of Japan where the arcade market has been dead for years?
Here's another link to a video posted from Japan at the Arcade amusment trade show back in Feb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=423FS...e=channel_page

SEGA Sammy made a statement regaurding the development of these boards:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/articles...arcade_boards/

In it, the specs for the RingEdge and RingWide arcade are translated as using 2008 PC techonology. SEGA also states that they are planning on offering the hardware boards to other 3rd party publishers to develop titles for and hopes to expand the new arcade line much like Naomi a decade ago which explains why Dreamcast had some many arcade perfect ports. Since no RingWide games were annouced and SEGA says that Regarding the choice of names for the boards, a statement from Sega explained "that "Ring" is meant to suggest a ring that connects users, operators and makers along with, via the internet, the rest of the world. Edge refers to cutting edge. Wide refers to a wide range, in the sense that Sega hopes the board will, through wide use by third parties, help expand the amusement industry." Which means that SEGA may be desinging a development kit for other software companies which sheds even more light on a strong possiblity of them turning the RingEdge into a home console. SEGA also says that this new hardware is both incredibly simple to program and cuts production costs down 30%. Which means SEGA could be designing a development kit that may make it easier for developers to make games for and drop the rising development costs on games which could make the new machine quite competitive allowing the price of games for it to be $40 and $50 instead of $60 and $70.

Not much else was said regaurding thier plans for RingEdge. but SEGA hoping that the "wide" use will help expand the arcade and amusement industry suggests that SEGA may be using this as a "trojan horse" for getting third party developers on thier side in hopes of being able to launch a new system soon.

I also have two patents for two controller designs for a console:
http://www.patentgenius.com/image/7488254-19.html (I know it looks like the Saturn 3D pad but the patent filing number 7,488,254 is way ahead of Sega Saturn's us patent number which is "5,371,792.)
Here's another one: http://www.patentgenius.com/image/7488254-32.html (it looks like the Genesis/Mega Drive six button pad but with added motion sensors)

Also a mysterious SEGA Sammy blog which appears to be almost completely accurate!

http://fgnonline.webs.com/

"With the Nintendo Wii hitting retail and gaining worldwide superstardom of the likes never witnessed SEGA SAMMY once again immediately got to work on another system with orders from the boss himself Satomi-san. This system shall be a HD casual console and is designed to compete with the successor to the Wii. The design of the system FGN can officially confirm was finalised in late 2008, it's arcade variant goes by the name "RINGEDGE" the specifications of the system are as follows.

The chosen CPU is the Intel Pentium E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz Dual-Core Processor, the GPU of choice is the Shader Model 4.0 compliant 9600GSO with 384 MB GDDR3 RAM, System memory measuring 1GB DDR2-800. Other features include an onboard HD audio DSP, 32GB SSD, standard DVD, and WiFi connectivity. SEGA SAMMY plans on shipping the system with two controllers, a motion sensing remote and one which looks similar to the Saturn 3D controller. One for casual gaming the other for non-casual. To top this off SEGA SAMMY shall be using a stripped down version of Microsoft's Windows Embedded Standard 2009 for ease of development. This particular version differs from the standard version where only the DirectX functionality is included, the standard edition costs $90 per shipping device. As SEGA SAMMY's version doesn't include the non gaming features SEGA SAMMY has managed to get a hold of the OS for less than half of that cost.

SEGA SAMMY plans on launching the system in time for the holiday season of 2010 for no less than $200 and no more than $250. The company doesn't plan on publically acknowledging the project this year, thus an official announcement won't take place until 1H 2010.

Stay tuned for part 2 of our world exclusive where we shed light on SEGA SAMMY's consumer plans for the "RINGWIDE"
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
koopchan wrote:

How can the guy write this if in a recently Famitsu poll of most wanted game sequels of all times, Sakura Wars came in top?

Here's the link

http://www.destructoid.com/famitsu-lists-most-wanted-sequels-of-all-time-in-survey-130852.phtml

And here's an article that provides that actual number of votes each one received:
http://kotaku.com/5238574/what-sequels-does-japan-want

Sure, it was number 1, but it still had less than 300 votes. Which is more than a lot of other games on that list, but when the top game is getting numbers like that, the poll doesn't really say anything meaningful.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Great article, boosted by the nostalgia values of Threads of Fate and Spike McFang.

I'm glad to see that Avalon Code got a decent review. I'm currently playing it and do not regret picking it up. It's a unique and fun little game.

But, I'm really looking forward to the Mana Khemia 2...whenever it comes out.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Quote:
Not shown: The scene where she sees Ogami talking to another girl and stabs him 34 times.

Oh god, please don't reference that extremely disturbing show.... The only part of it I saw was the ending, after all...

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Nintendo Dual Screen.

Why would you say that?

I said that because that is the name of the console. www.nintendo.com If you think I am making it up, check out that site.
Mauru

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
koopchan wrote:

How can the guy write this if in a recently Famitsu poll of most wanted game sequels of all times, Sakura Wars came in top?

Here's the link

http://www.destructoid.com/famitsu-lists-most-wanted-sequels-of-all-time-in-survey-130852.phtml

And here's an article that provides that actual number of votes each one received:
http://kotaku.com/5238574/what-sequels-does-japan-want

Sure, it was number 1, but it still had less than 300 votes. Which is more than a lot of other games on that list, but when the top game is getting numbers like that, the poll doesn't really say anything meaningful.

I agree with you about that survey, it isn't really representative.
Even so it is the most wanted sequels among famitsu readers.

But there is no proof that Sakura Taisen franchise is falling in japan.

The bodukan show was full even so is a big stage.

Also in famitsu top 100 games of all time Sakura Taisen placed 13.

Not to mention a live show took place just recently and last year Sakura Taisen DS was released.
Subatomic Brainfreeze

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
There's now evidence that SEGA is planning a new console.

Hate to say it, but you've been hoaxed. The article about a home console is 100% fabricated. The Ringedge is in fact real arcade hardware, but so is the Ringwide. It's definitely not a console. Here's an in-person look at both boards:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blogs/anoop/2009/02/20/ringedge_and_ringwide_closeups/
strahl

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
No sir, I'm not playing sakura wars 5 if they don't put No 1 first, I simply can't fathom such idea.

You dont start the indiana jones movies with the crystal skull and so on.
Mauru

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
strahl wrote:
No sir, I'm not playing sakura wars 5 if they don't put No 1 first, I simply can't fathom such idea.

You don't start the indiana jones movies with the crystal skull and so on.

Not even to support the localization?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4