• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - And a Happy New Year...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:51 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

These Geneon Signature series DVD's are just a re-release of the original bailyboxsets that came out around 2001. These new discs have the same episode count as the original DVD bailybox releases, something like 7/6/7/6 per season.

Yes, I know. That's why I'm so eager to have people rent the DVDs, get hooked, and purchase the series. While the overall series may be good, you don't really get a sense of how good the show is just by watching a disc. That's why I'd like people to at least give it a chance and rent the DVD, in hopes that the'yll get snagged and buy it.
Metroid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Laughing

Popotan got slammed! But I heard this series gets a little bit better later on, right?

Yes, Popotan DOES get a little better. But by NO means does it become good, or even mediocre.

I almost threw up when I heard it got liscensed.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
so this is the "touching" Popotan show people have been going on about? LOL
Chang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Geez, I didn't think Popotan was that bad. And I can think of 5 anime off the top of my head that I would rank lower than Popotan: Pokemon, Digimon, Duel Masters, Yu-Gi-Oh, SD Gundam, etc. So while Popotan isn't a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, at least it doesn't make me want to claw my eyes out like the afore mentioned shows.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
Chang wrote:
Geez, I didn't think Popotan was that bad. And I can think of 5 anime off the top of my head that I would rank lower than Popotan: Pokemon, Digimon, Duel Masters, Yu-Gi-Oh, SD Gundam, etc. So while Popotan isn't a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, at least it doesn't make me want to claw my eyes out like the afore mentioned shows.

Yeah, cause faux-pedophelia fluff is sooooo much better than merchandise-oriented kids shows. No, really, Popotan IS that bad. Worse, even.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote
I think the best way to watch Kiddy Grade is to go into it expecting one thing, be disappointed, then slowly realize what you're getting is better, if different, than what you originally had in mind. I almost didn't continue with the series after the first few episodes, but am very glad I stuck it out.
Chang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Chang wrote:

Yeah, cause faux-pedophelia fluff is sooooo much better than merchandise-oriented kids shows. No, really, Popotan IS that bad. Worse, even.

Hey man, I'm not saying it's good, or even anything approaching mediocre. I'm just saying I can think of many that I think are worse, in my humble opinion.
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ai is a big-chested woman who (I paused the disc and took out a ruler to make sure) has tits the size of her head.

For reference: mammaries the size of her head=W cup.
biliano*

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
I'm a big Harry Potter wonk. Especially with the Quidditch. (okay, stop making fun now.) I also like space opera / sci-fi kinds of shows. Therefore, I adore Stellvia for being the anime equivalent of HARRY POTTER IN SPACE

I never thought of comparing Stellvia to Harry Potter. When I read about Stellvia in Anime Insider, they were comparing it to the FOX hit series The O.C., stating that "the Stellvia crew ages, fighting hormones and inexperience as well as discriminating adults and the encroaching threat of adolescent insanity" (AI #16 - p.22). Excellent play, Patachu!
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:06 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Chang wrote:

Amen. I'm sorry, but the intended audience for this one is plainly obvious, and I can't see anyone in their right mind advocating this thing. (Pedophiles are, by definition, not in their right mind.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2