• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Michael Jackson (1958-2009) & the Zillion Anime Connections

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna get reemed for it, but I'll say it anyway...When the Twin Towers were destroyed (a tragedy), you read about it or saw it in EVERY media outlet. While I'm sad that 3 children lost their father, a family lost their son/brother, and generations lost a musical idol, I can't believe how much press there is about Michael Jackson. I'll give ANN credit for managing to post info about his death and tie it into anime. Truly, I was curious if there would be any mention of his passing on this site.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I'm gonna get reemed for it, but I'll say it anyway...When the Twin Towers were destroyed (a tragedy), you read about it or saw it in EVERY media outlet. While I'm sad that 3 children lost their father, a family lost their son/brother, and generations lost a musical idol, I can't believe how much press there is about Michael Jackson. I'll give ANN credit for managing to post info about his death and tie it into anime. Truly, I was curious if there would be any mention of his passing on this site.

In the subscriber forum there is a thread called "Obituaries thread" where there was some discussion about his death. I didn't realize that he had a music video that had an anime tie in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polly E.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
While I'm sad that 3 children lost their father, a family lost their son/brother, and generations lost a musical idol, I can't believe how much press there is about Michael Jackson.

I think a lot of it has to do with "global impact." There's an inescapable notoriety there with Michael Jackson.

"The death of one is a tragedy, the death of millions is just a statistic." Heard it in a song once and sadly, this is true most of the time with how the world views and reports things. With recent plane crashes and the like (or even Farrah Fawcett's death to stick to the celebrity thing) being shoved aside for one man it really is an odd thing, but that's just how world culture seems to operate.

On another note Scream was a fantastic video and song. I just always loved the swagger and attitude in both the song and video. Cool for using anime in it as well. I remember the premieres on multiple stations for both this and Black and White and it was interesting seeing someone who could draw the attention of so many by just debuting a new song.

Last edited by Polly E. on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll be damned, I didn't know about anime in his videos. Well, all I can say is rest in peace, Michael Jackson.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Some people are comparing this to when Elvis or John Lennon died. It's managed to bump a few political scandals off the front page as well.

I remember looking at "Scream" because I heard it had some footage of AKIRA in it and saying "That's not AKIRA. That's Zillion!" Understandable when "all them anime characters look alike" Razz

Anyone dragging out "Space Channel No. 5"?
crilix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Weak SEO attempt is weak.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Matthew Sweet is far better than Jackson.

(Lum > all)
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I can't believe how much press there is about Michael Jackson.

Pfft...Are you serious?

Everyone is still reminded about 9/11. In fact, it's still pretty historical considering that we're still currently fighting for it in the middle east.

...And it's been over 5 years.

However, Michael Jackson is still a big deal, and it just happened. He's still accomplished a lot in his time, though I don't really look at it as a celebrity news. I see it as a man who has done what he loves in his life and still managed to affect the world, in his own way. And he's done it for years. While his life has not been so tragic in terms of 9/11; He still lead a good life, though his final moments were not so great... >_>;

n_n this is like the Modern Version of Elvis passing away.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:
Some people are comparing this to when Elvis or John Lennon died. It's managed to bump a few political scandals off the front page as well.

I remember looking at "Scream" because I heard it had some footage of AKIRA in it and saying "That's not AKIRA. That's Zillion!" Understandable when "all them anime characters look alike" Razz

Anyone dragging out "Space Channel No. 5"?

I know just what you mean. Serious folks call it "distractions".

But anyway, I'll miss MJ. Not his crazy antics but for what he was in the music world. The video 'Scream' is one of my favorites and for a good while I could never place that anime clip. I knew it looked familiar but 'Zillion' never came to mind. So of course the first thing you think of is 'Akira'. Cause like you said, "all them anime shows look alike."

And yes, I was thinking of 'Space Channel 5' as well. Be interesting if someone did a fan vid tribute and pulled everything piece of media on MJ they could find. Including video games. Sega's 'Moonwalker' and 'SC5'.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Polly E. wrote:
"The death of one is a tragedy, the death of millions is just a statistic."

From The Black Obelisk by Erich Maria Remarque, best known for All Quiet on the Western Front. Often misattributed to Joseph Stalin.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
ya know, I actually seen this on MTV this morning. (they've been playing MJ vids all night/day)
still kinda in shock over it but still, RIP.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that Jackson use to be a star but lately became a clown. He was big from about the age of 5 on, although in the past decade he became known better for his antics than any music he produced. He was falling into the has-been category of KISS and many other big pop stars. It's hard to say if the "come-back" tour would have revived his career or not.
Silvercat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
peachsncreamsoda wrote:
ya know, I actually seen this on MTV this morning. (they've been playing MJ vids all night/day)
still kinda in shock over it but still, RIP.

Yeah, it is kind of shocking, MTV PLAYING music videos! I came across "Bad" this morning and was like, "Wait, what? This is MTV? I thought this might be a new channel playing his videos, that's more believable. Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MysteryGreenTea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
He had anime in his works? Shocked
I had no idea.
His passing just came out of no where too. It was definitely unexpected. Confused I hope he rests in peace.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. I was watching the video this morning, and I was really curious as to who that character was.
I loved that song when it came out, and it's just as awesome now. Thanks for posting it there, so I could hear it yet again!
MJ's passing is very sad, and it's no surprise it's gotten as much coverage as it has. He is beyond famous in every part of the world, and his contribution to music has been a great one. He's not just a musician, he's a worldwide icon. He may be just one person, but it is a big deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3