• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
CLAMP - Clover Omnibus Edition Giveaway

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Woo hoo! I already pre-ordered this, but heck, if I win a copy, I'll give it to the local library or something. I love that Dark Horse released this title. I was really interested in the series because of Tsubasa, but Tokyopop stopped publishing it.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, I didn't realize that Tokyopop's editions were left-to-right. I was thinking about maybe picking those up instead, perhaps, because it would look silly to have an incomplete omnibus with vol 5+ as singles (whenever CLAMP gets around to doing it, aka finding a publisher for it).

Still, omnibus > left-to-right. I did enjoy seeing how the covers looked on the Tokyopop edition, but with the sounds of it being "re done" as the omnibus, I have high hopes^^
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
The print quality in the Tokypop editions was also ATROCIOUS. The covers were beautiful, but the inside was like bad 90's photocopy quality.

(I know this mainly because the comic store near my college had in the old ones the other day, and I was almost tempted to buy them... but then said to myself, nah, maybe someday another company will pick them up and translate them better...)
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or the preview looks EXACTLY like the Tokyopop edition. At least the dialogue *goes searching for her old volumes*

Okay the pages now seem to have been flipped back in their original order and small details seem more easy to notice now, but it's exactly the same translation... just with different font... comic sans... are you kidding me? That is probably the most overused font ever, appart for just being an awnful choice for Clover.

Sorry for being so abrassive but I just don't see the case for paying again for something that looks just barely better than the original translation.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
woo! I hope I win one. I was going to get it with any birthday money I get tomorrow

but winning a free copy would be the best birthday present ever Anime hyper
mandisaw

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I held off buying the TP versions because of the flopped pages, although the cover reproduction was excellent. Didn't even know DH picked up the series, but now I can have a shiny English version to complement my Japanese set. Cool beans.

As for complaints about the translation, I recall that Clover was a damnably difficult adaptation job since TP wanted to preserve the lyrical/poetic nature of the original. It's been several years, but I seem to recall they did a decent job of it. I think the only sore spot was the issue of Suu's name (I think they ended up calling her "Sue"?). Kind of like the Princess Tutu debates, it's a call of accuracy vs. fanservice.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Hellfish"]Is it just me or the preview looks EXACTLY like the Tokyopop edition. At least the dialogue *goes searching for her old volumes*
/quote]
I think most people who are buying this don't have the old copies or don't want to read flipped manga. Plus it has color pages, that is always a bonus.
zhir

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have the numbers on how many valid entries ANN gets for contests on average?
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
What's the reasoning behind PO boxes not being allowed?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Brazzlefrazz wrote:

That's a pretty good question. It's pretty odd that don't allow PO boxes though. I bet that the reasoning is in those extremely tiny fine print that by law companines must include.
skwid

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:55 am Reply with quote
It's finally out! This has been postponed since December. I'd given up after Amazon.co.uk removed the listing, cancelling my preorder. I'm slightly disappointed that it's not a new translation but at least I'll get to read it now.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:

I think most people who are buying this don't have the old copies or don't want to read flipped manga. Plus it has color pages, that is always a bonus.

I think is great the people that weren't able to buy Clover before now have the chance, I love Clover and love to see people reading it. But just don't think is worth to spend money in it again considering the preview. I do not now if the paper and presentation will be better (which I hope) but just the use of the comic sans font is a major no-no for me.
And I just find it odd that they used exactly the same translation, I do not know how licenses work but does it come just with the rights or do you have the right to use the translation another company did before.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see someone pick it back up. I've been eyeying the tokyopop editions for years on ebay, and they are always so pricey. Hopefully CLAMP will finish this series as well some day.
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Brazzlefrazz wrote:

My guess is they send the prizes using a shipping service like UPS or FedEx that doesn't deliver to PO boxes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:59 am Reply with quote
HJSoulma wrote:
The print quality in the Tokypop editions was also ATROCIOUS. The covers were beautiful, but the inside was like bad 90's photocopy quality.

ISTR that TP used to just scan the tankoubon, instead of using high-rez scans of the original art or photostats, both of which cost extra.

Studio Proteus had much higher reproduction quality in the flipped era.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2