• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Shojo Beat Manga Magazine's End in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Much as I don't care about this magazine, I feel slightly bad about this. Maybe it's because I accidentally discouraged my Mom from having the library (that she's in charge of) carry it. I didn't do it on purpose, but I probably could've undone it pretty easily too.

At the very least, it's never a good sign for the industry when these things happen.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm going to end up with a complete run of all 49 issues...what the hell am I going to do with that?

I actually can't say I'm very sad about this. Recently the only series I've been reading were Sand Chronicles and Honey Hunt, and I don't even like Honey Hunt very much.
sashaisme

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Hm. Just as I was considering a subscription after my Shonen Jump subscription ended...

Curses. I tried One Manga, it doesn't feel right. Being a material manga girl, I like the feeling of a fresh book or DVD in my hands, even if it cost me some moolah (I have been known to be the family cheapskate, with only 15$ in my wallet, I intend to wait until I REALLY want it, before I buy it...)...

Bleh.
shoujogirl

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Why?! I thought it was doing well! No prior notice whatsoever!! I don't want Shonen Jump, I'd have no idea what's going on! Don't close, shojobeat!!.....will their manga still be only $9? Confused Hey, wait, why isn't the shonen one closing as well? Is it just me or do the boys always get the best deals?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Surprising, I thought if any magazines could weather the storm it would be the manga serialization catalogs. This is a big blow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
No its because it much more popular and im guessing the ad revenue is still doing good for it. Anime is much more male dominated and with magazines not doing well and the crappy economy it just makes sense that viz would shut it down. No point in keeping something that isnt making money. Anime is already a niche product and magazines dieing off and there main source of making money isnt working well for them anymore it really was only a matter of time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I think the problem with Shojo Beat was that it was something that Viz came up with to balance out Shonen Jump. They thought it was a good idea, but I guess it did lower than their expectations. Seriously, I'm a girl and an anime fan judging by that you would think that I like Shojo Beat... but those that know me know that I'm more into Shonen than Shojo (IE: everyone on ff.net). The thing with Shonen Jump is that not only is it a popular magazine in Japan (did you know there's a store dedicated to Shonen Jump at the Tokyo Dome City?) it's popular here too... it wasn't something strung together by Viz... that's why I think Shojo Beat failed.
Firousi

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

Very disappointed that Shojo Beat will be ending, I've read almost every issue of it and really enjoyed it quite a bit. At least I am glad that they are giving options to subscribers, instead of just giving us Shonen Jump automatically since as I've said elsewhere, I really am not interested in that magazine at all.

Same here. I just renewed my subscription and this is not good new at all. Sad I rather just have my money back and use it to get more manga books.
Firousi

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

Very disappointed that Shojo Beat will be ending, I've read almost every issue of it and really enjoyed it quite a bit. At least I am glad that they are giving options to subscribers, instead of just giving us Shonen Jump automatically since as I've said elsewhere, I really am not interested in that magazine at all.

Same here. I just renewed my subscription and this is not good new at all. Sad I rather just have my money back and use it to get more manga books.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
hypersoda wrote:
Hopefully, Yen+ doesn't end anytime soon. I've been wanting to read it for a while....and watch, just as start to buy it, it'll end. Sad

I second that. Particularly since my local bookstores don't seem to carry many Yen Press titles...

My bookstores seem to carry a lot of Yen Press titles...but Borders is supposed to go under, and that's the one I go to (because it's at the mall and I'm there all the time with my friends. No, I'm not a manga cow. ._.)

Also, I'm kind of lucky; my local supermarket just so happens to carry Yen+.
Firousi

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
pluvia33 wrote:
Hopefully Viz isn't doing to badly right now with the rest of their business.

This decision is probably going to save them quite a few shiny pennies. Running any magazine in this day and age is expensive.

Other than Shonen Jump and PA, are there any remaining mags left?

Otaku USA, Future Anime, and Play. The first has an anti-moe/harem bias, the second has uncertain release dates, and the third only devotes a small section of the magazine to anime. In other words, nothing of worth is left, from my perspective.
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Omg......*goes into the mushroom corner to make a hamster home*

I feel....somewhat empty....
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I may be the lone voice of dissent but I'd just as soon have the shelf space taken up by the mangas as they come out. Always thought serializing the stories AND releasing the novels was a waste of money on both sides.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Emma: It lasted a while, but did poorly in the end, because of the girly covers and that effing vampire movie cutting into their profits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4