• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz prices on the rise!?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Ack. XP Well, thank goodness for discounts and Viz coupon codes at TRSI. Yes, I'll admit a $2 increase isn't so bad, but when collecting books in a long series (Naruto, Bleach, InuYasha, etc.), it can add up. Especially to one barely starting out on a series (such as myself with Bleach) and is taking awhile to get up to the current point in the series.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Eh, it doesn't bother me all that much. As long as the quality of the product doesn't decrease, I'm more than willing to pay an extra $2 to enjoy it.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Rightstuf confirms the price rise, on both Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat series.

Example:
Nana
Yu Yu Hakusho
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
Bah! Young whipper snappers! Why in my day and age we paid 12.99 for a volume of manga, in some cases as much as 20 whole dollars! And they were smaller in size and with craptacular paper, and if you read them too much the pages would fall out! But we were grateful for what we got!

Rolling Eyes

I'm only mad about Tokyopop going up and price while at the same time going down in product quality with paper. I don't like crappy paper.
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
Shocked I hope this isn´t true, but it looks like it is...
At simonsays the SJ titles that are scheduled to be released on october 2009 the price says $9.99...
Though in o ther sites the price is still at $7.95...
So what´s your thoughts on this?

For me, a $2 increase is too much, I don´t know if I will keep following REBORN! which I just bought every now and then, but with the story as it is right now in Japan, I wont even bother now...

I am collececting Reborn. 9.99 is a reasonable price. But 12.99 is unreasonable, curse you Del Ray
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Well considering the only "lower price" series I was collecting was Hikaru no Go this news does not effect me much. Looking at the economy I guess it's not surprising that prices went up slightly.
h2326q

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
I don't know what Americans have to complain about. I live in Australia and pay $14 - $20 for a single volume.
TheSparLynx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
It has already been confirmed multiple websites that the prices are going up to $9.99 on future books.

To me it's not a big deal. Viz has released pretty much all my favorite series and have continued to have top quality books where as Tokyopop has increased their price and dropped their quality significantly. SB and SJ books have been 1-2 dollars cheaper for a long time now which gave us opportunities to read popular long series for a bit cheaper.

CMX had problems with their earlier series of books being hard to bend and stiff paper.

I don't know if anyone's had the same problem as me with buying Del Rey books that are really faded and have horrible ink jobs? I've had several books from different series that have faded black pages.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm not too concerned unless their larger size 12.99 books start selling for 15 or more. Since VIZ Signature is pretty much all I read.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf, when I bought the flopped Nausicaa manga six years ago, they were something like $17.95 a pop. I agree that manga is a lot cheaper compared to then, however, I still think a $2 increase is pushing it too far.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I'm not too concerned unless their larger size 12.99 books start selling for 15 or more. Since VIZ Signature is pretty much all I read.

Yeah that's mostly what I read and collect as well. But being from Canada, I do pay the $15 and oftentimes more. The comic store I go to (pretty much the only one around besides Chapters, but with a much better selection), charges 16.25 for any Viz Sig release. Even titles like Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist are priced above the Canadian list price, which is bull. (Though the biggest crime that store commits is charging like $18 for one volume of Hellsing Shocked ).
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I've sorta gotten used to the idea that the "normal" price for manga is now $10.99 (where I used to accept it as $9.99), in part due to Yen Press and Del Rey. I'm just glad that Viz were able to keep their prices down for so long. Most of Viz's Big editions can still be called "dirt cheap" by comparison, they range between $17.99 and $19.99 and they all have at least three volumes shoved in there, not to mention that they're printed on much bigger paper. For the price, I just wish they're re-release a few more older series that I want or that I want other people to get (Please Save my Earth, Firefighter Daigo, etc) in the Big editions.

For me though, Viz's most notable price jump has been on their Sig series, a jump from $9.99 to $12.99 per volume. However, it has already been noted that the book itself is simply larger and the quality is still just as good as ever. Considering that the Sig line publishes most of my favorite series from Viz, a jump in price with a jump in quality isn't such a terrible thing to me. The only other series I paid $12.99 a volume for in normal manga size was Del Rey's Parasyte, who's page count was always between 288-304, so $12.99 seemed fine to me. In fact, that could be my only real complaint with the recent Sig volumes is that since they have the same page count as a normal manga, I'd rather have them print it smaller and charge me a bit less.

And then of course, consider that at least half the population here shops at TRSI a lot, and they routinely shave off about 25% of the price + sales + weekly specials + bargain bin + deal of the day + club membership, when I shop over there, it's like the prices haven't even gone up. I also tend to always buy at least $49 worth of stuff for free shipping and half the time it involves me adding a manga to my order that would cost me the same as what shipping would have. If you buy enough to not pay the shipping, then it's a great deal. And Borders gives you coupons ranging from 20-40% off a single item every weekend. Amazon isn't bad sometimes either, they frequently discount items too and offer free shipping with no tax. Perhaps it's because I used to shop in just plain Borders for years without proper knowledge of the greatness of TRSI and shopping on the internet in general, but perhaps it's so easy to avoid the price hikes or at least greatly lessen them that I don't find Viz's price jumps to be a big deal. And at least Viz hasn't been annoying their fanbase for years by publishing horrible series with poor translations, the occasional good series with translation issues, canceling half their series at random, and printing on tissue paper and then upping the price.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
So $2 price up?

I don't buy SJ any more, as the only title they have I want is Hayate the Combat Butler, and thats not translated well. (I mean the whole manga uses word jokes and anime rips, yet Viz tends to not put translator notes in or translate some jokes right)

Does this effect the magazine? I mean I do want to buy it when they add Bakuman to the lineup later this year.

Still Viz is getting close up there with the price of Del Ray and Yen Press. Which is good and bad, some of there titles suffer from slow release and bad translation or changing of the text or edits.
Faceman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
You know, speaking of Viz prices and quality and all, I just finished reading YuYu Hakusho volume 18. I noticed some inconsistent translations - one demon country spelled either Gandala or Gandara, and a character either Kirin or Kylin. I can understand spellings that change periodically volume to volume (Kururu to Kululu in Sgt Frog), but changing back-and-forth in the same volume is just sloppy. Has anyone else encountered this with recent Viz manga?
TheSparLynx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I've sorta gotten used to the idea that the "normal" price for manga is now $10.99 (where I used to accept it as $9.99), in part due to Yen Press and Del Rey. I'm just glad that Viz were able to keep their prices down for so long. Most of Viz's Big editions can still be called "dirt cheap" by comparison, they range between $17.99 and $19.99 and they all have at least three volumes shoved in there, not to mention that they're printed on much bigger paper. For the price, I just wish they're re-release a few more older series that I want or that I want other people to get (Please Save my Earth, Firefighter Daigo, etc) in the Big editions.

For me though, Viz's most notable price jump has been on their Sig series, a jump from $9.99 to $12.99 per volume. However, it has already been noted that the book itself is simply larger and the quality is still just as good as ever. Considering that the Sig line publishes most of my favorite series from Viz, a jump in price with a jump in quality isn't such a terrible thing to me. The only other series I paid $12.99 a volume for in normal manga size was Del Rey's Parasyte, who's page count was always between 288-304, so $12.99 seemed fine to me. In fact, that could be my only real complaint with the recent Sig volumes is that since they have the same page count as a normal manga, I'd rather have them print it smaller and charge me a bit less.

And then of course, consider that at least half the population here shops at TRSI a lot, and they routinely shave off about 25% of the price + sales + weekly specials + bargain bin + deal of the day + club membership, when I shop over there, it's like the prices haven't even gone up. I also tend to always buy at least $49 worth of stuff for free shipping and half the time it involves me adding a manga to my order that would cost me the same as what shipping would have. If you buy enough to not pay the shipping, then it's a great deal. And Borders gives you coupons ranging from 20-40% off a single item every weekend. Amazon isn't bad sometimes either, they frequently discount items too and offer free shipping with no tax. Perhaps it's because I used to shop in just plain Borders for years without proper knowledge of the greatness of TRSI and shopping on the internet in general, but perhaps it's so easy to avoid the price hikes or at least greatly lessen them that I don't find Viz's price jumps to be a big deal. And at least Viz hasn't been annoying their fanbase for years by publishing horrible series with poor translations, the occasional good series with translation issues, canceling half their series at random, and printing on tissue paper and then upping the price.

Not to mention..

Did anyone else notice the cover quality cuts from Tokyopop? Covers that had shiny fonts/glossy nice covers with glitter etc have all been printed all plain and cheap looking in the 2nd generation covers (Examples - VB Rose, Tokyo Mew Mew etc)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3