• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Don't bother with the KC re-release of GITS

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
Brian Ruh got an early copy and mentioned on his Twitter account that it's been re-edited.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
No hot lesbian threesome for you?

Meh, I'm more interested to see how their Akira turns out. Right-to-left and untranslated sfx would be enough to make me choose it over the Dark Horse version, but only if it's unedited.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
I'm happy enough they're re-releasing Akira. The first couple volumes are completely out of print and hard for me to get a hold of.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
If only they had released Akira in the proper right to left format from the get go. Out of print it could be, however, I was able to read all 6 volumes from one of my local libraries.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'd only buy it right-to-left if it was the full-color version and had the bonus material from the Marvel run.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
So I went to the store, and found out the new versions of Akira are basically the Dark Horse versions, meaning they're still flipped. Mad
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So I went to the store, and found out the new versions of Akira are basically the Dark Horse versions, meaning they're still flipped. Mad

Are they otherwise unedited though?
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, color me disappointed then, I thought we'd be getting the definitive versions of these titles. Is there some reason for these decisions?

Hopefully Kodansha'll do better with their future releases, they certainly hold a lot of interesting titles.
balisongnet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

So what do they look like? The cover and spine I mean, I preordered mine, but ill have to wait a few days since i live in Europe
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that sucks. I hope they don't change anything in Akira, I really want that series. I managed to get Dark Horse's Volume 2, but that's it (their too hard to find or too expensive when I found them). I have a question, will Kodansha's release be massive like Dark Horse's was?
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
@GitS: That's kinda disappointing, but I'm still getting it. It's only two pages, right? It hardly ruins the volume.

@Akira: I'm completely fine with these being the same as the Dark Horse versions. I've seen the color version and I can honestly say that I prefer black and white.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Hopefully Kodansha'll do better with their future releases, they certainly hold a lot of interesting titles.
If the exploits of Japanese companies in the past are any indication, they'll fail to get it, raise prices and then promptly pull out right before actually doing something right.

So Kodansha's beginning with flipped and edited content? Yeah, that'll encourage sales. Rolling Eyes
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
If the exploits of Japanese companies in the past are any indication, they'll fail to get it, raise prices and then promptly pull out right before actually doing something right.

Manga is an entirely different beast than anime. Following your scenario, we should expect lower prices and higher quality release from Kodansha Comics.

But some people are more interested in putting up strawmen...

Quote:
So Kodansha's beginning with flipped and edited content? Yeah, that'll encourage sales. Rolling Eyes

The only title we should ever expect to be edited is Ghost in the Shell, since Kodansha appears to be using previous materials for release. If it's been published left-to-right in North America, it'll be like that with Kodansha.

Manga fans also don't really care for a title like Akira compared to comic fans; this kind of release has the same appeal as Tekkon Kinkreet or Lone Wolf and Cub.

Generic #757858 wrote:
Meh, I'm more interested to see how their Akira turns out. Right-to-left and untranslated sfx would be enough to make me choose it over the Dark Horse version, but only if it's unedited.

Not sure why you'd want untranslated sfx, especially considering this was done during an era when actual care and attention went into handling them. (I've never really liked the approach of subtitling them, as it never replicates the experience and impact in Japanese. Better than putting them in some ridiculous index or not translating them at all, though...)

balisongnet wrote:
So what do they look like? The cover and spine I mean, I preordered mine, but ill have to wait a few days since i live in Europe

The cover and spine are pretty much the same as the Dark Horse release. Color pages are retained. A few new additions include: preface by Katsuhiro Otomo; afterword by Mike Richardson; more extensive histories on Otomo and Akira; and a double-page dedicated to previewing volume two (this is taken from the insides of the Japanese release).

jmfsilenthill wrote:
I have a question, will Kodansha's release be massive like Dark Horse's was?

Same size. All releases for Akira, regardless of country, are massive.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Generic #757858 wrote:

Not sure why you'd want untranslated sfx, especially considering this was done during an era when actual care and attention went into handling them. (I've never really liked the approach of subtitling them, as it never replicates the experience and impact in Japanese. Better than putting them in some ridiculous index or not translating them at all, though...)

Well, I haven't read the Dark Horse or previous print runs of Akira, but in general I'd prefer translations of manga to only cover those texts that are absolutely necessary and leave the rest untouched. That is, sound effects should only be translated when their meaning could not be inferred from the context.

Mind you, I'm also of the opinion that a good enough artist should be able to convey the necessary 'sounds' without such cruthes.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Manga is an entirely different beast than anime. Following your scenario, we should expect lower prices and higher quality release from Kodansha Comics.

But some people are more interested in putting up strawmen...
What straw men? Previous attempts by Japanese companies to directly release anime have shown a distinct lack of understanding of how things work in this region. How is bringing up a demonstrable lack of understanding and general unwillingness to adapt a straw man?

A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position, to quote the vast repository of useless guff known as Wiki, not an extrapolation based on known past practices. If I argued that the Japanese were doing this due to a notion that Western audiences want manga to be more like comics (which oddly enough was also a prevailing viewpoint with them at one point) then I would be misrepresenting their current position.

In this case, I criticized actual past practices. Being critical of and cynical about past mistakes and future prospects does not a straw man make.

And while anime and manga are "entirely different beasts" as you phrased it, the reality is this move appears to support the idea that the problematic mindset of some Japanese companies in regards to this region is not limited to anime companies. Simply making the choice to use the pre-existing and flawed materials to produce a product shows both a lack of willingness to devote resources as well as a clear misunderstanding of what the consumers want.

HellKorn wrote:
Quote:

The only title we should ever expect to be edited is Ghost in the Shell, since Kodansha appears to be using previous materials for release. If it's been published left-to-right in North America, it'll be like that with Kodansha.
Whether they will or will not publish things left-to-right in the future has nothing to do with the reality that this is a choice that makes a poor first impression. This isn't a good way to start. That was all I was saying, it doesn't instill confidence in consumers.

I stand by my previous statements as being fair-minded.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2