• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films Play in LA, NY, Chicago, Houston, SF

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Just ordered my tickets for Chicago. Can't wait!

I don't care if the theater sucks, will still be epic.

And as said earlier, I want to support it so we get the third movie as well, with new content.

Edit: And I think it was pretty obvious that they were gonna be subtitled. This is screening two weeks after Japan, I don't think they make it a habit to allow someone to get the masters for the films to dubbed them before they premier in theaters.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know when the San Francisco tickets are going on sale?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Does anyone know when the San Francisco tickets are going on sale?

Just keep checking the theater's webpage. They at least added an October page to their listings today, with Madoka being the page's only occupant at the moment. It says 'coming soon' for tickets...
zeopower6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:

And as said earlier, I want to support it so we get the third movie as well, with new content.

Edit: And I think it was pretty obvious that they were gonna be subtitled. This is screening two weeks after Japan, I don't think they make it a habit to allow someone to get the masters for the films to dubbed them before they premier in theaters.

How did you get them? Are those on sale atm or something? :O
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote
Why couldn't this happen on Monday? I've been looking forward to this so much and I have to work that night.
Kouta6769

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:38 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Why couldn't this happen on Monday? I've been looking forward to this so much and I have to work that night.

Yeah I normally work Fridays too but I'm asking for the day off, I wouldn't miss this for the world.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

How did you get them? Are those on sale atm or something? :O

Yes, they are available on the box offices website.
They are on this page, just scroll down a bit...
https://www.vendini.com/ticket-software.html?t=tix&m=166094e2e834668595e0eb104d3a361c

And, in Chicago it's on Saturday the 20th.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
Thanks for that!

9:30PM...

This is going to be one late showing if it's going to be like that nationwide! @___@~~
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
It's the same little theater in Manhattan that showed the new Evangelion movies late nights.

But why don't they just show it at the New York Comic Con just the weekend prior when there'd be thousands of visitors (NYCC has a separate ticketed theater)...............
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
Thanks for that!

This is going to be one late showing if it's going to be like that nationwide! @___@~~

Np

Yea, I told my wife since it's so late, we may need to take a nap before the show. I don't know how long each film will be, but since they aren't showing them with another movie in Japan I think we can assume they are not gonna be 50 minutes like a lot of compilation movies. That said if they are full length features, then we could be at the theater anywhere from 3-5 hours depending on the length/intermission time...so even if it's only 3 that's still at the theater until 12:30...
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I am debating about going... not sure if I can bring anyone else who would want to watch something so cutesy-looking :p I'm also bad and haven't watched the actual show yet... Being recap movies, it probably won't be a bad choice in going.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
For anyone who is interested in the San Francisco showing, the ticket page is up!

The time in San Francisco is 7PM and runs for apparently 240 minutes.

http://www.ticketmakers.com/tmNumTickets.dll/buy?&theaterid=55001&filmid=27161&ShowID=2244&TBP

MrHatandClogs wrote:
zeopower6 wrote:
Thanks for that!

Np

Yea, I told my wife since it's so late, we may need to take a nap before the show. I don't know how long each film will be, but since they aren't showing them with another movie in Japan I think we can assume they are not gonna be 50 minutes like a lot of compilation movies. That said if they are full length features, then we could be at the theater anywhere from 3-5 hours depending on the length/intermission time...so even if it's only 3 that's still at the theater until 12:30...

Newpeople in San Francisco has their ticket page up and it lists a tentative 240 minute runtime.

enurtsol wrote:
It's the same little theater in Manhattan that showed the new Evangelion movies late nights.

But why don't they just show it at the New York Comic Con just the weekend prior when there'd be thousands of visitors (NYCC has a separate ticketed theater)...............

Probably because they can't get it in time? Keep in mind that the week or two (or three? LOL) before is when the movies are premiering in Japan and we're getting them extremely soon after. Perhaps that time is used to work on subtitles.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
Newpeople in San Francisco has their ticket page up and it lists a tentative 240 minute runtime.

Thanks. I figured it was gonna be pretty long.

I'll have to make sure to pump my non-anime watching wife full of Red Bull...
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
As thrilled as I am to see films show here in the US so soon after opening in Japan, I am disappointed by the extreme limited release of this. California gets two shows, while a majority of the country has to travel farther than the distance from SF to LA in order to see them.

I want to see this succeed, and would like to support it, but it would take me 8 hours to travel to the nearest showing and back, plus 4 hours for the films, and that doesn't include getting there early or any intermissions, let alone meals. At least the one-day showings are on a Saturday.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Coderjoe wrote:
As thrilled as I am to see films show here in the US so soon after opening in Japan, I am disappointed by the extreme limited release of this. California gets two shows, while a majority of the country has to travel farther than the distance from SF to LA in order to see them.

I want to see this succeed, and would like to support it, but it would take me 8 hours to travel to the nearest showing and back, plus 4 hours for the films, and that doesn't include getting there early or any intermissions, let alone meals. At least the one-day showings are on a Saturday.

It helps that California also has two pretty big venues for Japanese film/screenings. (plus California is pretty huge...) Newpeople in SF has done a TON of exclusive film screenings (in two weeks they're doing one for the Tiger and Bunny movie with an exclusive bonus only normally available in Japan by preordering a ticket) and the Downtown Independent near Little Tokyo in LA has had a huge series of REDLINE screenings both dubbed and subbed for a whole week as well as featuring the Fullmetal Alchemist movie. In the end, I think they just tried to choose the areas that would have the 'most interest' as well as use theaters that have already had anime screenings in the past. As far as I know, some of them even have anime every Sunday! I don't believe they mean to have this be so extremely limited, but it's better to have it here at all (even if it was just in San Francisco or something) since it's a good sign that perhaps... there's more to come?

-cough the new third movie in a similar timeframe as these within two weeks after the Japanese premiers cough-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5