• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Would you step out of your comfort zone?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
magmalord wrote:
Well, its not the persons fault to say all modern anime is shit because 98% of it is

Oh come on, 98% of this quote is shit, magmalord. Rolling Eyes 98% is way too high a percentage. I've seen plenty of very good modern anime....WITHOUT fanservice too. And some of them do have a bit....but so what? That isn't the only thing they have to offer so meh...

Quote:
Black Butler is just trying very hard to convince its audience that Sebastian is the very epitome of greatness.

Screw Seb. Gimme Ciel.:'D

Quote:
Sturgeon's Law is aptly named, because it reeks of rotting fish.

Here here! *clap*

Quote:
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\--
Those are very interesting symbols. Welcome to the fora.

I'm willing to bet my month's paycheck that is QB. :'3
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, take a look in the mirror, because you're so quick to shoehorn Chihayafuru and Usagi Drop in with other late-night Anime just because of the timeslot in which they aired. You say that timeslot doesn't matter and yet you claimed that the two shows weren't mainstream just because of their timeslots.

When did I say timeslot didn't matter? Time-slot is pretty much what defines late night anime, which Usagi Drop and Chihayafuru are. Just because you're terrified of having to lump in those two shows with the 'riffraff' anime doesn't change the fact they're late-night anime and two of the shows you people love to bash and despise. I'd also appreciate it if you didn't lie and put words in my mouth just because you have no retort to my comment how plenty of 'mainstream' anime have tons more fanservice and 'objectionable content' than a lot of 'otaku anime' which pretty much makes your claim on what defines 'mainstream' completely false.

(I also love how people praising Usagi Drop ignore the later events and pretend they don't exist... what does that say when they cut out half of a show so it'll fit with their preconceived labeling?)

/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ wrote:
It is the burden of the companies to sell their titles to the anime fans. If they cannot entice a person to try their titles based on the promotional artwork and the description, then it is the failing of the companies to fail to attract viewers. I see no reason to accuse the viewer of anything if he elects to not try uninteresting seeming titles.

It's funny because most anime fans are satisfied with anime every season. It's just a very small, vocal minority who complain. Last I checked, all these shows sold very well, and are huge in the fansub community and large anime sites.

It's even funnier when those people keep insisting that 'anime is shooting itself in the foot', as if they're the target audience or of any concern to the market. It's not really any concern of the companies if a few forum goers read a summary and take to bashing a show when all the otaku like the show and buy it. I think they have more important things to concern themselves with than what some overseas fan think. Fact of the matter is, most of the anime fanbase is happy and that's all that matters. If boobs or being set in school suddenly makes a show un-watchable for someone, I might suggest they... step out of their comfort zone, perhaps?

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sturgeon's Law is aptly named, because it reeks of rotting fish.

It's sad there's people who actually take Sturgeon's Law seriously and think it's some actual scientific method. I wonder if they take the Onion seriously too.
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Just because you're terrified of having to lump in those two shows with the 'riffraff' anime doesn't change the fact they're late-night anime and two of the shows you people love to bash and despise.

Who is "you people"? If you're including me, you're clearly not reading my posts and only seeing what you want to see.

Quote:
(I also love how people praising Usagi Drop ignore the later events and pretend they don't exist... what does that say when they cut out half of a show so it'll fit with their preconceived labeling?)

I haven't seen it, but unless something is explicitly related across different media, it's perfectly sensible to consider two different mediums to be different canons of the same story.

Quote:
It's even funnier when those people keep insisting that 'anime is shooting itself in the foot', as if they're the target audience or of any concern to the market. It's not really any concern of the companies if a few forum goers read a summary and take to bashing a show when all the otaku like the show and buy it. I think they have more important things to concern themselves with than what some overseas fan think. Fact of the matter is, most of the anime fanbase is happy and that's all that matters. If boobs or being set in school suddenly makes a show un-watchable for someone, I might suggest they... step out of their comfort zone, perhaps?

Translation: you prudes and people with high standards should shut up about your personal preferences because anime is still making a lot of money and is popular enough.

Not only do you make up strawmans, you also reject the very idea of criticism. Technically this entire site's review team is more or less useless to anime, as they're also just overseas fans stating their opinion like us. So no one should ever say anything bad ever.

You're the embodiment of anti-intellectualism.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
When did I say timeslot didn't matter? Time-slot is pretty much what defines late night anime, which Usagi Drop and Chihayafuru are. Just because you're terrified of having to lump in those two shows with the 'riffraff' anime doesn't change the fact they're late-night anime and two of the shows you people love to bash and despise. I'd also appreciate it if you didn't lie and put words in my mouth just because you have no retort to my comment how plenty of 'mainstream' anime have tons more fanservice and 'objectionable content' than a lot of 'otaku anime' which pretty much makes your claim on what defines 'mainstream' completely false.

The stupidity of this paragraph is such that I can't even be bothered to answer. I mean, how does one reply to something this brainless?

But let me just summarise why their paragraph sucks for those who are interested: TitanXL accuses me of putting words in their mouth but actually lies instead, they have an overly-narrow idea of what "mainstream" means (it can also mean for the whole family, or something that people who don't usually watch Anime could enjoy), and they think that timeslot means everything when it does not. As if most noitaminA Anime are the same as your typical Ecchi-Harem show, despite the noitaminA airing in the early hours of the morning and some borderline-Hentai series airing during daylight hours.

TitanXL wrote:

You poor thing, not having watched the Usagi Drop Anime. I recommend you watch it.

(Translation for those incapable of understanding: the Anime doesn't adapt the second half the Manga so if I'm praising the Anime and only the Anime then I'm not ignoring anything. That TitanXL apparently did not know how much of the Manga the Anime covered implies that they have not watched the Anime. They should watch it, because it is a fantastic show. The end.)
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:40 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
You're the embodiment of anti-intellectualism

Or as most people would like to call it, 'being open minded'. If these 'high standards' you have is the difference between enjoying the medium and not, then I can't say I myself am too beaten up over not being able to wear that badge of honor. Anime's greatest strength is it's diversity, after all. So yes, criticism, especially one founded on ignorance, is fairly pointless overall: people are going to like what they like regardless of what anyone says, let alone criticism from people with zero influence on the medium's consumer base. This is, of course, assuming something like quality is an objective, measurable concept. Which it is not. Your critiques of Steins;Gate hold no more water than someone's who liked it more does. Those 'otaku elements' you disliked are not factually bad, so even using words like 'standards' in the first place is a fallacy.

dtm42 wrote:
TitanXL accuses me of putting words in their mouth but actually lies instead, they have an overly-narrow idea of what "mainstream" means (it can also mean for the whole family, or something that people who don't usually watch Anime could enjoy), and they think that timeslot means everything when it does not. As if most noitaminA Anime are the same as your typical Ecchi-Harem show

You speak of having a narrow idea of something but then go on to say ecchi-harem shows is the only kind of late night/otaku anime out there, which is silly. Fairy Tail is more ecchi-harem than K-ON is by an incredible margin, but it doesn't change the fact Fairy Tail is a mainstream Saturday morning children's show while K-ON is for adult male otaku. Content is not reflective of target demographic at all, it's still aimed at the mainstream while K-ON is not. Apparently the mainstream can enjoy that 'harem-ecchi' show just fine, so how can you assertively say that content not enjoyable by 'the whole family/people who dont normally watch anime' again, exactly? What exactly are you basing these claims on? Keep in mind, Japanese culture is very different, and that kind of stuff is not 'taboo' like it is in western cultures, so assuming they'd be bothered by some jiggling boobs would be false.

For the record I've seen the show and I am not a hive-mind.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Or as most people would like to call it, 'being open minded'. If these 'high standards' you have is the difference between enjoying the medium and not, then I can't say I myself am too beaten up over not being able to wear that badge of honor.

You sound like the guy who asked Zac if he wishes he was more "open-minded" like his review staff. (Around 48:00 in this ANNCast.) Which seems rather ridiculous and desperate. Also, a few other things:

1) Anime is not a "medium." Animation is a medium. Japan is a country. Anime is a subset of a medium, an industry in itself, but not a medium in itself. Just like how Hollywood is an industry, but does not define a medium. If I'm disappointed in the animation output of a country for a period of a few years, as I might be for any industry in the world, it is not a condemnation of it.

2) There are so many things I enjoy from many different industries (or mediums if you want to elevate anime for whatever mythical and self-serving reason) that anime is far from the primary source of entertainment, so I tend to view it as I view other things. Maybe it is your primary source (or a predominant one), so you're more prone to adopt a defensive stance by denouncing any and all criticism. But that's just speculation. I honestly don't know, because I've never seen you try to talk about your personal likes and dislikes in critical terms.

3) Sharing one's thoughts that a given period of time within an industry is, well, what it is. Consensus seems to dictate that filmmaking within Hollywood in the 1980s is disappointing compared to nearly every decade prior. But that does not mean criticism precludes enjoyment of it as you want to suggest.

Quote:
Your critiques of Steins;Gate hold no more water than someone's who liked it more does. Those 'otaku elements' you disliked are not factually bad, so even using words like 'standards' in the first place is a fallacy.

I'm referencing my own personal standards, so there is no fallacy -- stop inventing them. And no, I would not treat consensus standards as some sort of objective metric, as if art were an exact science. But what I am asserting, however, is that not all arguments are as good as others. You don't want to acknowledge this, and in fact go so far as to believe that criticism in general in useless -- why you're posting on here, then, is something I cannot understand. Particularly when, iirc, others have asked you to explicate your opinion of shows -- be they positive or negative -- but have not done so.

Discussion involves more than merely stating likes or dislikes. It involves real, critical thought. Sometimes people will think anime hasn't produced as many excellent titles within the past few years. Others will think that anime has gotten better. And you'll have a group that think things are more or less okay. And all of that is perfectly fine, just as when people disagree on the merits of any given show or movie. But you have to actually talk about why you feel the way you do. A sound, thought-out argument is better than one that hinges on weak, tangential points. Even if I disagree with others, and even if they (or even myself, at times) present their opinions in an overly-aggressive manner, I respect people who present good, credible arguments to defend their positions.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
I honestly don't know, because I've never seen you try to talk about your personal likes and dislikes in critical terms.

In general I find it fairly pointless to be honest. I don't really need to justify why I like or dislike something to people. If they ask, sure, I'll shoot the breeze. I do that all the time with my friends when we discuss the latest episode of a series we like; but not to the point of actually getting into an argument about it with people who dislike the show. At the end of the day it's arguing opinions which is like two brick walls: neither side is going to budge and suddenly say "Oh, wait, you're right, this show actually does suck, I was stupid to like it" At the end of the day, who are we to tell people what they like is bad?

Instead, I just discuss and argue objective things; like this post. Rather than argue "No, that comedy is good, you're just a dummy" I'll point out it's an ignorant opinion/statement and there's more than that kind of comedy, so maybe he would like something else instead and check that out. Maybe a comment of also "And just because you dislike that type of comedy, dont write off a show about it, who knows, one show may do it in a way you enjoy" if I'm feeling like it. Like here, I just felt like pointing out not all otaku/late-night stuff is 'harem/ecchi/boobs', and vice-versa. People can dislike it if they want, not like I can stop them or anything (at best, I can point out the cultural difference between Japan and America and how it's not a big deal over there) but I will point out if an inaccurate statement is made revolving it.

(Keep in mind I'm watching around 30+ shows at any given time. To take the time to go into depth and do a critical essay/term paper on each of them would be insane. One season alone would produce more writing than I did throughout my entire high school and college career. But who knows, maybe I'll do one for 'fun' next week when a few of my shows end)

But like I said on page 1, there's about 70 currently airing anime in Japan. I find it very, very odd when someone says they can't find at least one to enjoy, or generalize 'it all sucks and is the same thing'. 70 shows. That's some amazing odds to not find at least one to like, let alone say it's 'all the same'. That's why I said "open mind" because 70 seems like a perfectly acceptable number for a pool of currently airing shows to dive into, and to miss 70 times is just amazing to me. With those odds, you can see why I also said "maybe it's the viewer, not the industry" especially when most people can find lots of stuff to watch.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have a comfort zone for anime, or a preferred genre of viewing. I'm willing to give pretty much anything a try (except hentai).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8