• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Would you step out of your comfort zone?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
That said, there are some major mitigating factors here: Firstly, Chiharafuru and Bunny Drop sound quite excellent by all rights. I'm just not really interested in either of them. It seems like they could certainly be added to my list though if I felt inclined to watch them.

Chihayafuru is very Disney and mainstream, which means it is very accessible and family-friendly. The quality is very high, and there isn't a single weak episode (even the recap is somewhat amusing). It also looks and sounds quite nice thanks to a solid job from Madhouse.

Usagi/Bunny Drop is a fantastic uplifting story with strong themes about family and responsibility. It's the sort of story that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside after watching it. Yeah, the art style is unusual but who cares? Rin is cuter than most kittens.

The above two shows are good enough that they deserve to only be watched when you are in the right mood. So even if it takes you a couple of years to get round to watching them, that's fine. They're not going anywhere. But at least put them on a wishlist or something similar so you don't forget about them.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The above two shows are good enough that they deserve to only be watched when you are in the right mood. So even if it takes you a couple of years to get round to watching them, that's fine. They're not going anywhere.

Yes, this is usually my philosophy. I never watch a show unless I really actually feel like doing so. If I watch something just because I feel like I should then it will affect my enjoyment.

Honestly, I'll probably never get around to Chihayafuru, especially given it's length now that it's getting another season. I may well check out Bunny Drop at some point though. In fact, I think it might be somewhere on one of my numerous lists already.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
Once the second season of Chihayafuru is finished the show will have about fifty episodes. That isn't a lot to get through. I mean, day before yesterday I added one-hundred-eighteen episodes to my to-watch list. Today I added a further two hundred or so episodes and almost a dozen movies; I haven't had the courage to actually count them yet.

How many episodes do you watch? If you're only getting through five a week I can see why fifty episodes would be a bit daunting.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
How many episodes do you watch? If you're only getting through five a week I can see why fifty episodes would be a bit daunting.

Eh, it's tough to say. I tend to watch in binges so it's tough to put my finger on a definite average. Generally though I'm a pretty slow watcher. Between college work and all my other competing interests (I'm heavily involved with gaming, western TV and movies and comics as well) I don't find myself watching all that much.

Anyway though, I'm not ruling anything out. Like you said, it's not like this stuff is going anywhere.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
I thought the last quality anime aired four years ago. I know some might get pissed off at that thought, but I honestly only care about stuff that I like and saying anything else is just being pretentious or being an apologist. On the other hand, this does not mean that I expect the world to revolve around my tastes. Just that I don't view the current situation in a positive light nor do I have any reason why I should. And the topic creator should also stop expecting miracles to happen and just dig up things that interest him personally. No one is holding a gun on people and telling them to watch whatever is the current trend. Just leave all that behind and just watch anime for yourself.

As for the future of anime, I don't see it going on like this for even a decade. It is way too saturated, which would mean that it needs a new generation of no-life nerds to leech on. And I'm not really seeing any kind of change happening to the current market situation any time soon. Also, expect to see more CGI and outsourcing in the near future.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
I thought the last quality anime aired four years ago.

Four years ago? That was 2008. Hmm, what aired in 2008? Oh, I know, that Anime must have been Nabari no Ou. Truly a shining beacon of quality, the masterpiece of our generation. Even our grandchildren will speak about it in hushed and reverent tones. Any fan who doesn't have it in their top ten should hang up their cat-ears. Blah blah blah, so on and so forth.

But seriously, why do you even watch Anime? If there's really so little that you like, then surely you've already seen all seven shows that you actually consider to be good?

Your attitude reminds me of this post, specifically the part about people criticising Anime without stating what they themselves think is good. You slag all recent Anime but don't want to open your own tastes up to criticism. What, are you afraid that your opinion will be dismissed if you tell us what you think is good? And what Anime have you actually watched in the last four years? On page one I posted a long list of good Anime that aired (or began airing) in 2011 alone. You really want to tell me that not one of them was good? Really?

I know I'm coming across as a little bit pushy, and I'm certainly not trying to be rude. But when you strolled into a thread and in your first sentence stated that there hasn't been a single good Anime in four years, well you pretty much begged for someone to challenge your view.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
I thought the last quality anime aired four years ago.

Then maybe you should actually read the rest of the thread since, at dtm42 points out, there have been a lot of titles mentioned/recommended here, all of which are pretty damn recent.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Then maybe you should actually read the rest of the thread since, at dtm42 points out, there have been a lot of titles mentioned/recommended here, all of which are pretty damn recent.

Yeah. I saw most of them, but is it really that strange that someone would consider those to not be their top favorite material? Yeah, some were decent, but what I referred to was not just something to pass your time with. It is something to get passionate about, to get involved, and I believe that is what the topic creator meant. People want shows they can be fans of.

Now I could say what I thought was stopping me from really enjoying those titles to the maximum effect, or even disliking them, but that would serve no purpose. In the past, I've engaged in various flamewars where people argued which of their favorites were supposedly better, but that was just pathetic in retrospect and I doubt ANN needs anymore of that.

edit:

And some recent anime (if you really want to know) that I consider to be "good", but not necessarily stellar: Natsume Yuujinchou sequels, Usagi Drop, Ojii-san no Lamp, Out of Sight, The Tatami Galaxy, Heartcatch Precure, Yume-iro Patissiere, Redline, Spice and Wolf II, Evangelion movie 2 and Beast Player Erin.
underlock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
We've been having a consistent number of quality series over the past years, even if not many. From the top of my memory I can name Fate Zero and Steins;Gate.

I don't usually question this, but how long have you been watching anime? Actually, let me rephrase this question: How long have you been cherry picking?

There are gaps in seasons when nothing new interests me (this season being one, and SAO is already the disappointment of the year), but the years have been ending with really good series being made. And let's not forget the amount of remakes and franchise closures we've been having lately (although most of it was rubbish).
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
There are always a few quality series every year. Some years are not as good as others, but many anime fans, I notice, always reach a point where they just get cynical about everything. Even if something really original flew by their nose today, they'd say "Oh, it's not as good as when I was a kid and saw Cowboy Bebop! BACK IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS YADDA YADDA NOW IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY."

News flash: it always was about money. Just because the anime you grew up with isn't considered marketable anymore doesn't mean the modern stuff suck.

I consider myself a guy who's been around and seen a lot. I was never as hardcore a fan as most, but I've always consistently found good anime no matter what era I was living in. An anime fan officially since 1992, unofficially since about 1983. And I still get excited by new shows every now and again. It also helps to be a fan of genres. For example, I like "hard" action series, and I always will. Original or stupid or weird or derivative--whatever! Just give me a show with a girl and a gun and I will usually at least derive a modicum of enjoyment out of it.

Incidentally, I was just checking an anime forum for old guys, people who wax nostalgic about the days of Project A-Ko and Megazone 23. Generally these guys are my generation. Yet at the same time, a lot of them come off as simply crusty blowhards who are out of touch and would rather live in a time capsule. I still love my old anime as much as any old-school fan, but sometimes you have to shift gears with the times too. A lot of people get stuck in one era, usually the ones in their early years of fandom, and can never enjoy any other. I know, it sucks to see your favourite anime get ignored as time passes it by. I know it sucks to see the trends you grew up with no longer become trendy anymore. I'm sure there are some 80s fans who still wish we were in the mecha era instead of the moe era (although it does seem the moe era is starting to lose steam now) There are so many shows I loved in my 20+ years of anime watching that are now hated...or worse, simply ignored by younger fans today. That's how it goes. But it doesn't mean that what they like is necessarily any worse or more cliche than a lot of what I grew up with.

If you're not enjoying anime anymore, it's best to just step away for a while and come back later to see if you still are tired of it. If you are, then simply quit. If you find yourself interested again, chances are you simply need to pace yourself in your viewing habits.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
I notice, always reach a point where they just get cynical about everything. Even if something really original flew by their nose today, they'd say "Oh, it's not as good as when I was a kid and saw Cowboy Bebop! BACK IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS YADDA YADDA NOW IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY."

Everything Was Better When You Were Twelve. You'd think people would get suspicious why all the 'best' anime just so happened to be the ones they watched as kids (usually on Toonami and Adult Swim) , but I guess they just assumed those blocks had the most highest tastes and standards.

For the record, Chihayafuru and Usagi Drop are both late-night anime. Seeing people trying to say they're 'mainstream anime' is pretty funny. I suppose 'mainstream' just means 'I actually like it' in some people's case. That's the main problem with a lot of these complaints I find.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru and Usagi Drop may not have aired in a mainstream timeslot, but it should be obvious that they are mainstream in design and execution. They are unlike your typical Otaku-orientated late-night Anime and appeal across a wide range of demographics. Both series could have - and in my opinion, should have - aired in family-friendly timeslots on a broadcaster like NHK.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Both series could have - and in my opinion, should have - aired in family-friendly timeslots on a broadcaster like NHK.

I think there was a Japanese anime critic that complained about Chihayafurus time slot ,since the series is pretty much accessible to everyone.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Four years ago? That was 2008. Hmm, what aired in 2008? Oh, I know, that Anime must have been Nabari no Ou. Truly a shining beacon of quality, the masterpiece of our generation. Even our grandchildren will speak about it in hushed and reverent tones. Any fan who doesn't have it in their top ten should hang up their cat-ears. Blah blah blah, so on and so forth.

Well...in the interest of giving him the benefit of the doubt, Kaiba perhaps? Or maybe Michiko & Hatchin?

Quote:
I know I'm coming across as a little bit pushy, and I'm certainly not trying to be rude. But when you strolled into a thread and in your first sentence stated that there hasn't been a single good Anime in four years, well you pretty much begged for someone to challenge your view.

Agreed. I'm inclined to agree with anyone who says that anime has declined since roughly 2007 and in fact, I find the suggestion that anime has remained perfectly constant in terms of quality (for better or worse) to be extremely...shall we say forced. That said, anyone who claims there have been no good shows for such an extended period is almost impossible for me to take seriously.

underlock wrote:
We've been having a consistent number of quality series over the past years, even if not many. From the top of my memory I can name Fate Zero and Steins;Gate.

Just putting this out there: People should really stop holding up Steins;Gate as an example of a "quality series". Yeah, it does some things well. I could even see calling it a decent show on average. But it is sooooo deeply flawed in some pretty vital ways.

bravetailor wrote:
Original or stupid or weird or derivative--whatever! Just give me a show with a girl and a gun and I will usually at least derive a modicum of enjoyment out of it.

You're not exactly helping your case when you acknowledge that you have such low standards for enjoyment.

TitanXL wrote:
Everything Was Better When You Were Twelve. You'd think people would get suspicious why all the 'best' anime just so happened to be the ones they watched as kids (usually on Toonami and Adult Swim) , but I guess they just assumed those blocks had the most highest tastes and standards.

There is no correlation whatsoever between when I was young, when I started watching anime, and what I think was the strongest period for anime. You know precisely nothing about me or anyone else who has offered up criticisms of modern anime. So please, do us all a favor: Take your brainless assumptions and generalizations and leave this thread. Unless you have something specific to offer, you have nothing to contribute to this conversation.

Quote:
For the record, Chihayafuru and Usagi Drop are both late-night anime. Seeing people trying to say they're 'mainstream anime' is pretty funny. I suppose 'mainstream' just means 'I actually like it' in some people's case. That's the main problem with a lot of these complaints I find.

I think "mainstream" in this context means "not designed to pander to the very specific tastes of otaku and thus be utterly exclusionary to anyone not in that group". Granted you're correct that this is still a bit of a misnomer since no anime beside family friendly/kids shows are truly "mainstream". However, putting aside the semantics there is clearly a meaningful distinction being drawn here that goes beyond what one likes. You can't pretend otherwise.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
[

You're not exactly helping your case when you acknowledge that you have such low standards for enjoyment.

Perhaps. But I'll give anyone here a pat on the back if they are able to point out what I'm referencing there. If you can't, then you can't talk to me about what is lowbrow and what is highbrow. Laughing

That said, you know what I mean. Everybody has genre tastes they fall back on when they just want to enjoy something that tickles their personal bone without expecting it to be the next Citizen Kane (and I bet you a lot of people here don't even like Citizen Kane, so "quality", as it were, is in the eye of the beholder). If someone has as vague tastes as "I like quality anime", then I question how much of a personality you really have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8