• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Teaches about Jury Duty with School Romance Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quote
Danny claimed it was because the Japanese didn't want to be involved in the process of sending people to jail, or possibly to death. I can understand, I'd never want to be on a jury of such important cases that deal directly with people's livelihoods. But I guess with Japan's ideal of not getting involved in other people's business, it's much more serious. I doubt this'll have an impact, but maybe we'll learn about Japan's court system.

Haven't have any jury duty yet myself, I'd probably find some bias to get me out anyway. $15 a day and just a sandwich? If you're a blue collar worker, jury duty hurts you a lot.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:12 am Reply with quote
I had no idea that they didn't use a jury system, pretty interesting. I guess ya learn something new everyday. But why are they now using it after all this time?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
"The anime uses a high school boy's one-sided infatuation for a classmate as an unusual segue to discuss the jury system."

You see, when a boy and a girl love one another and they want to have a baby, the boy must adjust his penal system to avoid mistrial. The girl is admitted to counter-suit upon proper allegations...

I need to watch more Harvey Birdman to get all this.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Danny claimed it was because the Japanese didn't want to be involved in the process of sending people to jail, or possibly to death. I can understand, I'd never want to be on a jury of such important cases that deal directly with people's livelihoods. But I guess with Japan's ideal of not getting involved in other people's business, it's much more serious. I doubt this'll have an impact, but maybe we'll learn about Japan's court system.

Haven't have any jury duty yet myself, I'd probably find some bias to get me out anyway. $15 a day and just a sandwich? If you're a blue collar worker, jury duty hurts you a lot.

Your employer is required by law to pay you the difference between the 15 dollar (10 here in MD) and your wages, so people can not use finical hardship as a reason to dodge jury duty.

I've had jury duty three times, two of the weeks I didn't even have to go in becasue there were no cases. On the last day of the last time I was called, there was a case, a capital offense, and I was there right up to the end of the night, when we were all dismissed because the perp coughed a plea at the last minute.

Considering the number of cases per week, the number of potential jurors and groups called, and actually being approved between the procescusion and defense, the actual chances of serving on any jury is pretty slim, and the chance that it is anything of importance or even a murder case is really rare.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
Neojaponisme had an interesting article on manga and the jury system a couple of months ago.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
two-mix lady and sunohara? i wanna learn about japanese jury duty >.<
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
What? No special guest appearances by Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth?

Fail.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
ajlordnikon wrote:
Your employer is required by law to pay you the difference between the 15 dollar (10 here in MD) and your wages, so people can not use finical hardship as a reason to dodge jury duty.

It might be the law in the state of Maryland but that certainly isn't the case in many states, including where I currently reside. And such a law provides no relief whatsoever for those such as myself who are independent contractors, small business owners, or any others who would be classified as self-employed. I do not try to avoid jury duty (I served a week earlier this year as a matter of fact) because I consider it to be my civic responsibility, but there is no denying that my family takes a financial hit. Fortunately my work is such that taking a week off is unlikely to have any severe negative consequences other than the loss of income. But for many people that same week away from their job might cost them future opportunities and the good will of their customers.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
BTW, what's the minimum age to serve on jury duty in Japan?
nagato316

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
What? No special guest appearances by Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth?

Fail.

Or rather...OBJECTION!!! (to the absence of Ace Attorney cameos, not your observation, with which I agree)
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you're a blue collar worker, jury duty hurts you a lot.

Says the person who's never actually served?

peachsncreamsoda wrote:
I had no idea that they didn't use a jury system, pretty interesting. I guess ya learn something new everyday.

It's probably pretty hard to ensure a consistent 98% conviction rate with jury deliberations being part of the mix.

ajlordnikon wrote:

Maybe that's the case in MD but it's certainly not the case in TX. I've worked with companies that have fired workers for having the audacity to serve on a jury. Employers face the risk of a small fine if they're found guilty of firing workers who are legitimately absent due to jury duty, but in the end the employees are still terminated and have to explain why to the next hiring manager who's unlikely to have a more positive view than their last employer.

ajlordnikon wrote:
Considering the number of cases per week, the number of potential jurors and groups called, and actually being approved between the procescusion [sic] and defense, the actual chances of serving on any jury is pretty slim, and the chance that it is anything of importance or even a murder case is really rare.

Absolutely correct. All the endless bitching I hear about jury duty makes me wonder if any of the folks complaining actually have any clue what they're talking about. I've been called to appear several times but have only had to serve once. Thankfully the case was about as open-and-shut as they come and we were in unanimous agreement from the start of deliberations. The only area we disagreed on was the size of the fine to levy and that only took a few minutes to reach a consensus. The whole process took less than a single day and when it was over everyone who had served was pushed to the bottom of the call list. In general terms that means we're unlikely to get called upon again for the next few years. Honestly, if someone can't take a day or three out of their schedule once every few years in the interest of ensuring our justice system functions properly then maybe they need to see a financial adviser.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see them give it a try.

I've been called a number of times, but picked only once for a case. Of course it had to be a Incess Pedophile case were a father was slamming his 12yr old daughter. POS human being. I would've given anything to not be on the jury for that, a murder case would've been more tolerable.

I'll have to be on the lookout to see if it gets sub'd, might be fun to watch.

Will be interesting how their culture adjust to the new system.

~td99

PS Cute handle daxomni, of course your current admin was so kind to send them all back and let them get be-headed on the tarmack. Bet the bastards wish they were "getting tortured" at Club Gitmo instead of the riding the Obama 21-Virgin Express

Last edited by tripperdan99 on Fri May 22, 2009 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
If this had Phoenix Wright, this would be much more interesting. But since this about about sterotypical high school boy X confessing to Typical high scool girl Y (who is secertly a tsundere under all that make up and polish), whlist the teacher(whom was rejected twice in highscool) explains the legal system.
keepergirl

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Honestly, if someone can't take a day or three out of their schedule once every few years in the interest of ensuring our justice system functions properly then maybe they need to see a financial adviser.

Please keep in mind that for many people, it's not just a day or three. I was called to serve on a grand jury, which meant I served for an entire month. (In the grand jury system, you are not "picked" and questioned by the lawyers. If you're summoned, you serve.) In addition, I was not paid by my employer; I was paid only the pittance offered for jury duty by the government. That month was most definitely a hit to me financially. On top of all that, it's now been less than two years since I served, and I've already received the jury questionnaire again that NY courts send out before they summon you. I don't mind helping the justice system out every once in a while, but it seems certain people just happen to get called much more often than others, even when they have recently served.

Just in case anyone else gets summoned for grand jury duty, it's not all bad. The group I was with was actually a lot of fun, and we still keep in touch and get together once in a while.

I'm interested in seeing how the jury system will go over in Japan. If the reason they initially got rid of the system was because the people didn't want to be involved in "punishing" others, I wonder if the people's mindset has changed, or if they still feel this way and will resist the jury system.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Daxomi -

I couldn't help but notice this from you:

"Maybe that's the case in MD but it's certainly not the case in TX. I've worked with companies that have fired workers for having the audacity to serve on a jury. Employers face the risk of a small fine if they're found guilty of firing workers who are legitimately absent due to jury duty, but in the end the employees are still terminated and have to explain why to the next hiring manager who's unlikely to have a more positive view than their last employer. "

They'd have to pay more than a stupid fine if they're found guilty of firing workers for serving on a jury. Even in TX. Contact an attorney if that's the result - jury duty is a civic duty and the private sector cannot withold you from it UNLESS you are essential to something (say, a priest performing a wedding that day, etc.).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2