• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's Ponyo Film at L.A. Film Fest on June 28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giascle

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Do you mean highest grossing film of 2008?

Quote:
The story follows an ordinary boy named Sosuke (Frankie Jonas) and his friendship with Ponyo (Noah Cyrus)

loldisney
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I wonder when we'll get a UK release date more specific than 'last month'. It's looking like it'll be faster to import the subbed R2Js than wait for a cinema release.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. They would mention it at the last minute and screen it the same week as AX...I just hope it don't sell out fast.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese dvd is released on July 3, 2009 and will have English subtitles. Do yourself a favor and watch it in Japanese first. I will be forever grateful that I watched Spirited Away subtitled before I saw the dub, and that little line the geniuses at Disney added at the end which kinda NEGATED THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE MOVIE!!!!
mohendra

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
the english cast is pretty good.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
The other issue I have is what if the El Capitan gets some nifty guests.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
DaisakuKusama wrote:
The Japanese dvd is released on July 3, 2009 and will have English subtitles. Do yourself a favor and watch it in Japanese first. I will be forever grateful that I watched Spirited Away subtitled before I saw the dub, and that little line the geniuses at Disney added at the end which kinda NEGATED THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE MOVIE!!!!

The reason why that line was added in at the end of Spirited Away is because initially audiences were dissastisfied with the silent ending. It was an artistic decision on the scriptwriters' parts of Spirited Away's dub, because they wanted to make Chihiro's spiritual journey more "complete".

I also think the idea that Miyazaki's works should only be in Japanese and that the dubs should be hated is a ridiculous argument. After all, all the dubs were done under the approval of Ghibli and Miyazaki himself, yes, even the more "chattier" ones like Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky. He doesn't think any of these dubs are bad, so who are people to say otherwise? I practically PREFER watching all these movies dubbed because I like many of the voices in their dubs and I feel that the real joy in experiencing Miyazaki's work is to appreciate both dub and sub versions. Just because there are people who think that dubs like Kiki and Laputa are the worst ever made and that everyone involved should be shot doesn't make it true in the least. Not in any way. What's done is done. Miyazaki and Ghibli like the Disney dubs. There's no real damage done.

Anyway, I'll be turning in to support Ponyo's U.S. theatrical release on the day it opens.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
So will Kunikazu Katsumata be there with his Ponyo act?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG9XUFpsMBg
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1