• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: KenIchi the Mightiest Disciple DVD Season 1 Part 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
These thirteen episodes were fun, as opposed to some of Funimations other recent releases (Strain, and Aquarion in the forefront).

I viewed via rental, the next 13 episodes in the queue when released, and barring a major letdown or failure to license the rest, will move to buy queue shortly there after.

Like I said, I had fun watching this as opposed to discs 23 through 25 of Urusei Yatsura, brilliant, but there are stretches where it becomes a chore.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first quarter (which is all that is out in the US right now) of this series. As the reviewer said: it is a lot of fun.

Yes, Kenichi is something of a whiner at the start, but I think it accurately shows how our own self-perception has a big role in how we react to various situations. Even at the beginning, Kenichi is shown to be a nice guy, but one with virtually no self-confidence. Once you get beat up a few times, avoiding fights (or confontations in general) often becomes ingrained. So, Kenichi is the way he is at the beginning by design: he's supposed to be annoying and something of a coward.

As with most anime, it's amazing what having someone who 1) seems to care about you, and 2) you *really* want to impress, can change even deep-seeded aspects of a guy's personality. I thought it was realistic, though, that it wasn't like flipping a switch with Kenichi, but is rather an on-going process, aided and abetted by his trainers.

In closing, I think this is a fun, and very entertaining series. It also deals with some realistic parts of martial arts training, as also noted by the reviewer. In fact, I thought the review was very accurate. I am sure to get the next box set when it comes out this summer.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I had a blast watching this set. Almost as fun as watching Hajime no Ippou. And that's about the nearest comparison I can think of...that and Grappler Baki. Fairly realistic when focusing on Kenichi but, becoming pretty insane when focusing on the masters. They remind me a little bit of some of the Fist of the North Star characters. All in all though, a very fun series. I'll be picking up the next set once it gets released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see a positive review after Bamboo tore it to shreds a few weeks back. Anime smallmouth I watched almost the entire series in one weekend when it was being fansubed (up to 47 where I caught up with the Japanese broadcast), it's a lot of fun and keeps a consistent quality throughout. My only complaint is that even after 50 episodes and spoiler[a satisfying ending] there's still room for more that will probably not be animated.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
If you ignore the fanservice and Kenichi whineness at the begining, you'll find this series to be enjoyable. Granted, this isn't the best of anime, but this series isn't horriable either.

I defineitly check this series out eventually.
Wrath_of_DoG

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Having only watched it with japanese fansub, I think that, for the production costs, the animation crew did an amazing job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1