• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shangri-La DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
So I don't have much to say about the review... save that the word "tranny" is rather pejorative, and you might not want to use it. I'm aware that the series itself isn't all that sensitive about transgender issues; do they use "tranny" in the translations, either subtitled or dub?

Both the subtitles and the dub use it very extensively in all kinds of variations, and it's almost exclusively used by Momoko in reference to herself and others of her type; other characters usually skirt around using the term. Given the sexual references that Momoko almost continuously throws out and the way she loves to impress her transgendered status on others, it doesn't feel out of line for her at all.

Thanks for the clarification, I expected that might be the case, what with the use of the Japanese word "new-half"...and of course Momoko as a character has the right to use the term, I suppose.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
I liked the series. Yeah it is not perfect, but it is enjoyable nonetheless. Friends that I showed it to, liked it enough to marathon it to see the very end.

If you haven't watched it before, or want start watching it again, go ahead. Your eyes are not going to burn in their sockets.

As to the murders and other high crimes featured, spoiler[there is no one with the power that could or would want to do anything about it. The heroine's loving Grandma, has just as much blood on her hands as the other psychotic killers and criminals, perhaps even more so. Perhaps that is why she left her granddaughter behind and fled with the other company execs to the United States. How do you ask for forgiveness, when you have fed hundreds of children to the demon. ]
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's GONZO, it's more rare for their anime not to be a bust. I'm not even trying to be cynical for funny, they just have an abysmal track record, and the new Last Exile series, while better than some of their other recent series, still fails far short of the original. GONZO still needs better writing staff, as their animation have always been top notch and even their CG has improved dramatically.

Talking about more recent work? Because I really do like Peace Maker, even though that was a manga before hand, but the anime is still nice. Chrono Crusade is also nice, thought got rig of my singles and artbook to a friend because I outgrew it, but it's still a nicely done series, but again, manga first. but Kaze no Stigma and Blassreiter weren't all that great. Burst Angel was pretty bad, too. I guess it depends on the project. Why does Funimation keeps picking up Gonzo titles when most of them are bad?
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
I still loved Shangri-la for having such strong, important transsexual characters as serious characters. You don't see that often even in anime.

Plus, the idea of a corporation-built city-state and world basically mutated and twisted by global warming is a pretty neat idea when taken to such extremes.

Yeah, the plot is disjointed at times and characterizations aren't fleshed out here and there.

But I LOVE the ambition and unique feel of Shangri-La. I just love what they were at least aiming for in regard to premise and plot, even if they don't necessarily hit it out of the park all the time.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:56 am Reply with quote
I'd say GONZO's last critically acclaimed anime, one that's good beyond just fleeting entertainment, was Welcome to the NHK, six years ago. Although, that's an adaptation. Gankutsuou may be an adaptation as well, but it gets by with unique visuals before Shinbo made it commonplace, and a generally well told story. I haven't seen Romeo X Juliet, Glass Fleet, or Pumpkin Scissors yet, but everything else was either just for funzies like SetoHana (joint AIC) or Strike Witches and Saki. Everything else was sort of middling, like Solty Rei and even Drauga for the most part.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote
Pumpkin Scissors was mediocre, but Romeo X Juliet was pretty good.

Gonzo sure have been inconsistent over the years, though I'm sure that can be said about many companies.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
features a brassy transsexual who overcomes and frightens off soldiers with wet, sloppy kisses...has the whip-using transsexual character (yeah, that's subtle!) make constant double-entendres and sex jokes

This being Range Murata, I was looking forward to checking this series out, but this alone lost me in the first two episodes. Do NOT take this to mean I'm against transgendered characters, I truly liked Wandering Son and thought Paradise Kiss gave a positive portrayal. It's just that this character depiction was so screamingly, stereotypically over the top, it makes the perceptive gay best friend stereotype found in American movies seem tame. In Episode 2 when they walk into the jungle wearing suits, even his/her helmet was freaking heart-shaped for crying out loud. And after reading Theron's review, I find more reasons of how this show was not worth my time, so I'm glad I saved my money on this.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
The thing I really like about Shangri-La is that it shows the other side of the environmental debate with intelligence. This is no knock against the environmental movement at all, but all to often pro-environmental shows boil down a simplistic neo-Luddite 'technology bad, nature good' idea. That bucolic ideal of harmony with nature is in truth the Hobbesian 'nasty, brutish and short' that man has spent all of his existence trying to escape from. It details the problems with balancing environmentalism with human development and a lot of the hypocrisy and corruption present in the First World on these issues. And believe me, the carbon credit market is as corrupt as hell.

But -- this show is crippled by all of it's unnecessary religion and mysticism. Or to quote Lum in episode 11 of Urusei Yatsura: "Like, we're science-fiction, you guys are a fairy tale!" The mix of Japanese magic and religion into an otherwise straight-up sci-fi dystopia does not work, and leads to the show's failure. Martin is far to kind when he says
Quote:
Mikuni's arc, contrarily, embodies the mysticism which underlies certain aspects of the series and has an uneasy relationship with the more scientific aspects.
It is not as much uneasy as it is completely clashing, like a plaid shirt with, well, everything. And the ending is just as preposterous as stated. Basically, this show is like the Republican party: mixing in religion with everything that it should not be mixed into.

This is a show with great concepts and potential, which proceeds to waste it all away with horrible execution. This review is good and while there might be a few point I'd quibble with, it is quite the honest assessment of the show's flaws.

Note: And as for all the offensive tranny stereotypes, there is nothing in this show that is not in every single anime from before 2010. Japan has gotten a little better of late, but this is par for the course with anime. Disappointing, perhaps, but not something new.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

Talking about more recent work? Because I really do like Peace Maker, even though that was a manga before hand, but the anime is still nice. Chrono Crusade is also nice, thought got rig of my singles and artbook to a friend because I outgrew it, but it's still a nicely done series, but again, manga first. but Kaze no Stigma and Blassreiter weren't all that great. Burst Angel was pretty bad, too. I guess it depends on the project. Why does Funimation keeps picking up Gonzo titles when most of them are bad?

Swap Burst Angel with Linebarrels of Iron and I might be inclined to agree with you. It completely utterly and miraculously changed the source material to the point where the only similarities were character names, the bare bones minimum of the plot and the titular mecha.

Burst Angel, on the other hand, was pretty enjoyable. Characters were likable, plot was decent (not the greatest though) and some of the fights were enjoyable. Now, if only I could get that Season 2 that they teased during the OVA, if only to see Meg have a role reversal.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Despite agreeing almost entirely with this review, I enjoyed Shangri-la a great deal. What saves it for me is, I guess, the fact that it strives to be different, and doesn't feel quite so cookie-cutter as a lot of anime. That it doesn't completely succeed, I find myself able to forgive. It's better in its failure than a lot of other series are in their success.

I agree that the show had tremendous potential, and took a promising step or two in each direction, but never focussed on one goal. I enjoyed the potential, I enjoyed the first steps, and I guess I'm able to stifle my disappointment at the lack of follow-through.

And for me, Range Murata designs will cover a multitude of sins.

As Melanchthon says, the show actually has a fairly nuanced view of the environmental debate --- it's not clear to me that "the good guys", Metal Age, aren't the last hold-outs of climate-change denial (they celebrate Kuniko's release from prison by firing up their blast-furnaces). And the show's treatment of the carbon market was very clever --- as science fiction, where the science involved is economics, Shangri-la was very good (better, in terms of economics, than Spice and Wolf).

I wasn't as put off by the thematic inconsistency (from mass-murder atrocities to otaku shenanigans and back in a handful of episodes), as was the reviewer. I think I was bothered a bit more by the critical role mysticism ends up playing in the situation.

I watched the show on Crunchyroll, and haven't yet cracked open my DVDs. I'm glad to hear that the charming and creative teasing about panty shots on the part of the production crew is still on the DVDs. The crew was obviously having a lot of fun with the audience expectations set up by a cartwheeling, miniskirted heroine.

My one regret is that no one ever came out with the Akihabara Princess figure that the three otaku amigos had.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Certain people sailing off into the sunset scott free at the end was the thing that bothered me most about this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But -- this show is crippled by all of it's unnecessary religion and mysticism. Or to quote Lum in episode 11 of Urusei Yatsura: "Like, we're science-fiction, you guys are a fairy tale!" The mix of Japanese magic and religion into an otherwise straight-up sci-fi dystopia does not work, and leads to the show's failure. Martin is far to kind when he says
Quote:
Mikuni's arc, contrarily, embodies the mysticism which underlies certain aspects of the series and has an uneasy relationship with the more scientific aspects.
It is not as much uneasy as it is completely clashing, like a plaid shirt with, well, everything. And the ending is just as preposterous as stated. Basically, this show is like the Republican party: mixing in religion with everything that it should not be mixed into.

I take it you never have heard of Science Fantasy? It's a well-established genre.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

Swap Burst Angel with Linebarrels of Iron and I might be inclined to agree with you. It completely utterly and miraculously changed the source material to the point where the only similarities were character names, the bare bones minimum of the plot and the titular mecha.

Burst Angel, on the other hand, was pretty enjoyable. Characters were likable, plot was decent (not the greatest though) and some of the fights were enjoyable. Now, if only I could get that Season 2 that they teased during the OVA, if only to see Meg have a role reversal.

Linebarrels of Iron was awful, too. I couldn't watch an episode of either series. And Burst Angel is just some fan service, girls with guns series...it's not all that great. Just because it's in Funimation's Classic line, doesn't mean it's any good.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
The mix of Japanese magic and religion into an otherwise straight-up sci-fi dystopia does not work, and leads to the show's failure.

Ugh, reminds me of No. 6, which also screwed the pooch with a bizarre dive into mysticism.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
And the show's treatment of the carbon market was very clever --- as science fiction, where the science involved is economics, Shangri-la was very good (better, in terms of economics, than Spice and Wolf).

No spice and wolf use it a lot better because rather then make it a du ex machina plot device, spice and wolf actually tries to do realistic portals of medevil economics. in fact they work in such different ways you can't really compare them.

also I am surprised no one mentioned the airplane scene yet, since I know that broke a lot of peoples suspension of disbelief entirely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4