• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shangri-La DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
agila61 wrote:
C PLUS!!??

Such a harsh, harsh grade. I would have given it a B- (sub).

Wow I hope you are joking. C+/B- are practically the exact same grade. ...

Yes, of course I was joking. The same joke on the other side, if someone thought a slight bit less of the series than the reviewer, rather than a slight bit more, would be "Man, C+ is so generous ~ I could not have given it more than a C".

Quote:
... You already say you wouldn't buy the series unless you won the lottery, ...

Yup, you picked up the second clue there that I was joking. Though, really, with my budget, I have no business buying anything that I do not consider an "A", unless it is on extreme discount.

Quote:
I've gone on the record numerous times saying that the letter grading scale used on ANN is relatively meaningless. Because there's no numerical quantification, ...

Man, I hope you are joking on this. A number would not make it any more meaningful than a letter. It not as if there is an objective criteria to grade against for any of the most important points covered by the review. "This is no better than average, C", "this is clearly better than average, B", "This is a real stand-out, A", and then modified by + and - is as good a reviewing grade as 5 stars or score out of ten.

And, indeed, if not having a numeric grade stresses you out, you can always back translate: A+=100, A=95, A-=91, B+=88, B=85, B-=81, C+=78, C=75, C-=71, D+=68, D=65.

Since they tend to give reviews to people who like that kind of thing, F reviews are not common, and, as you note, D overall is uncommon, but D in a specific category is sometimes given. For instance, Carl just gave Music in Knight in the Area a D-.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Yes, of course I was joking.

So we shouldn't take you seriously then, ever? Because it sure didn't sound like you were joking.

agila61 wrote:
And, indeed, if not having a numeric grade stresses you out, you can always back translate: A+=100, A=95, A-=91, B+=88, B=85, B-=81, C+=78, C=75, C-=71, D+=68, D=65. .

I know this is an American website so they naturally would use the American system. But elsewhere the numbers match the grades differently. For example, in New Zealand 85% is an A+, while 50% is a straight C. I just wanted to point that out.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:24 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Man, I hope you are joking on this. A number would not make it any more meaningful than a letter.

That's not what I meant at all. I meant that in a situation where one can numerically quantify a grade - on a test, for example - the meaning of each letter grade is very clear (the numbers you listed being the standard American format). When it's for something where there isn't a numerical rubric, it becomes a matter of what the reviewer interprets each letter to mean. Theron seems to treat "B" as "decent" and "C" as "weak," which I wouldn't, and so I tend to adjust when I read his grades. If I even bother to look at them, that is; I mostly just read the reviews themselves.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This has been explained a couple hundred times before (and that's actually not hyperbole), but since you've only been a forum member for a couple of months it's entirely possible that you've missed the previous explanations. So here goes another round: [...]

Perhaps your explanation could be stickied so that it might be easily referenced in the future?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

Simple I hated the series, simple as that. At least I watched an episode of Burst Angel, I turned off Linebarrels of Iron half way though when I saw it was ecchi. After those two series, I've refused to watch anymore girls with gun series, and I sure as well stay away form ecchi after how I watched the couple I did.

-Linebarrels
-ecchi

Shocked

We did watch the same show, right?

Anway;
should be getting my copy of Shangri-La anyday now. Hopefully.
Looking forward to it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
agila61 wrote:

So we shouldn't take you seriously then, ever? Because it sure didn't sound like you were joking.

agila61 wrote:
And, indeed, if not having a numeric grade stresses you out, you can always back translate: A+=100, A=95, A-=91, B+=88, B=85, B-=81, C+=78, C=75, C-=71, D+=68, D=65. .

I know this is an American website so they naturally would use the American system. But elsewhere the numbers match the grades differently. For example, in New Zealand 85% is an A+, while 50% is a straight C. I just wanted to point that out.

That's why the #.# works so well for grading. It doesn't look like a percentage of 100, even though it is, but when construed that way people might associate it with a letter grade, i.e 50/100 is failing. Calling something a "Five Point Oh" instead helps to alleviate the mindset, you just have to stress that Five means completely average.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
Eh personally I liked this anime. It's a good review but I disagree with the most of it. when the review points out that the flaw was its overly confusing storyline there are plenty of anime way worse than that one, i.e. Texhnolyze. Sure, this anime sometimes gets goofy when it's referencing otaku-related humours, it was charming in a way.

I may just be minority but I though Steins Gate was also guilty of everything you mentioned, yet it became fan-favourite because the series had familiar archetypes for the character.

I respect this anime because it doesn't really try to be otaku-pandering. There were plenty of moments to add panty shots of the main character and it never did. It didn't simplify the story to please the audience with short attention span. I admire this anime for trying to be different. It's not perfect but I think it's still damn worth the time. Without saying, once it reaches Australian shore, I'd grab it for sure.

Totally agree, I enjoyed this one quite a bit for what it tried to do, and what it did very well, despite it's flaws not to mention it's appreciated lack of pandering as you described. I think the only thing it really failed to do was something mentioned at the very end of the review which I agree with, the mixing of the almost 90% scifi/science-based story and the bit of mysticism that came more towards the front at the end while most of the story up to that point was focused strongly on the scifi, they didn't get them to mesh very well at the end which sadly took something away from the end which is a shame because other than that I really loved this show and Kuniko's journey and character, the great action (and art/animation design) and the interesting supporting cast and Ryoko made for a real good main villain. I'm glad to finally have this show on DVD and really enjoyed re-watching it dubbed, as the review described the cast is really nice.

ShinnFlowen wrote:
I find it amusing a fanservice/action show known as Freezing turned out better than a show with a tank chopping boomerang wielding teenage girl.

Obviously won't change your opinion but, here's a clue, it didn't (IMO). This was FAR superior to Freezing in my opinion.

Bonham wrote:
And frankly the "humor" of a transvestite chasing away enemies as he yells "OTOKOOOOOO" is pretty repugnant.

There was no incoherence and certainly not any "incompetent incoherence", even if you had to think a little since they didn't dumb down things like economics as much as most shows would it was always easy to understand what was going on and what the goal was for Kuniko even if you couldn't always connect how the three main character's personal threads would connect as the review can certainly reasonably criticize, that didn't make it incoherent or impossible to follow.

IMO, nah it was fine and an amusing moment in an otherwise mostly serious show with only light comedy that never did anything like that in an action scene again for the entire rest of the show. Even if it didn't manage to make you laugh/smile the one time, unlike shows that get away with far worse far more regularly, that happened once in the entire show.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:46 pm; edited 12 times in total
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
agila61 wrote:

agila61 wrote:

So, the Ozzie scale but the Yank letters? Now that would confuse me ~ I know when I see an HD, D, C, P and CP that I'm not in Kansas anymore, and that a C is a good grade, though not a great one.

But in any event, sure ~ translate them to whatever the numbers are required to fall into a High Distinction, Distinction, Credit, Pass, Conceded Pass system.

Then it'll be just as in numerical grading in the real world, where the weighting and severity of the grading are lined up so that excellent work gets an excellent grade, good work gets a good grade, mediocre work gets a mediocre grade, substandard work gets a substandard grade, and an abysmal failure gets a failing grade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4