Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Studio Shuffles Top Executives


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lemoncookies23



Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 355

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
So, they play magical chairs at the corporate level. Neutral
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not well versed in Toei's inner workings or past executive decisions. Can someone with a better knowledge of their internal politics explore the implications of this move? What has Takahashi done lately to earn the stronger leadership role and what has Tomari done that might be seen as less-than-great?

Anyone know if this could impact any current anime licenses and relationships?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
KabaKabaFruit



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 1287
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
The only thing that matters to me is if this move will help improve relations between the company and western licensors. There is too much animation treasure locked away in Toei's chambers that isn't being shown to the fans and I would love to see a lot of them brought out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Rolando_jose



Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 226
Location: Ahhhh it's vacation time again!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
Sounds more like a move from a senior exec (meaning old) to a Junior exec (younger). YOu put the old one in a chair positions since he can still help the company with his insight and put a younger person to handle the workload.
It's a form of 'soft retirement'

BTW old an young here are relative terms, so the young one can be in his 50's or 60's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7249
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
So, they play magical chairs at the corporate level. Neutral
Don't you mean musical chairs? One can only hope that this little shuffle will loosen the blockage of releasing some, or rather all of their archive titles with proper marketing and distribution. Yes, one can only hope.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-Syxx



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Posts: 1405

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope this means they will be less draconian in their licensing to other markets than the almost xenophobic stance they've taken in the past. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The King of Harts



Joined: 05 May 2009
Posts: 6710
Location: Mount Crawford, Virginia

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I think what everyone here wants to say is: "I hope this means FUNimation has a better chance of getting the rights to all of Sailor Moon."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemoncookies23



Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 355

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
JairStout wrote:
So, they play magical chairs at the corporate level. Neutral
Don't you mean musical chairs? One can only hope that this little shuffle will loosen the blockage of releasing some, or rather all of their archive titles with proper marketing and distribution. Yes, one can only hope.


Good point, but I've honestly heard both (even when I was a kid). Now I'm really unsure. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teh*darkness



Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 901

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
JairStout wrote:
So, they play magical chairs at the corporate level. Neutral
Don't you mean musical chairs? One can only hope that this little shuffle will loosen the blockage of releasing some, or rather all of their archive titles with proper marketing and distribution. Yes, one can only hope.


Good point, but I've honestly heard both (even when I was a kid). Now I'm really unsure. Confused


Lol, to throw in another pov, I've always heard 'musical chairs', since they play music, and when it stops, you grab the closest chair.

On-topic...
Hm... what could this mean... business as usual... maybe... *shrugs*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Lemoncookies23



Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 355

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
JairStout wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
JairStout wrote:
So, they play magical chairs at the corporate level. Neutral
Don't you mean musical chairs? One can only hope that this little shuffle will loosen the blockage of releasing some, or rather all of their archive titles with proper marketing and distribution. Yes, one can only hope.


Good point, but I've honestly heard both (even when I was a kid). Now I'm really unsure. Confused


Lol, to throw in another pov, I've always heard 'musical chairs', since they play music, and when it stops, you grab the closest chair.

On-topic...
Hm... what could this mean... business as usual... maybe... *shrugs*


Hey now, nobody likes to feel stupid! Perhaps I played a variation that was made up on the spot that didn't involve music. Or, I'm just losing my mind. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I think what everyone here wants to say is: "I hope this means FUNimation has a better chance of getting the rights to all of Sailor Moon."
Indeed.

I for one would do much joy making if that survey option became a reality. Sailor Moon re-dubbed and uncut and all of it out in R1? Daddy want.

Does Tamaki-senpai's puppy eyes at Funimation.

Won't you give your loyal customer some DVDs?

Hopefully this is a good sign and not the other shoe dropping after all the cool things Toei has done lately. (I can't thank them enough for letting my Texas Overlords stream Pretty Cure. It's magical girl friendship fun that's just flat-out enjoyable. I can't enough of the closing and opening themes alone!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dargonxtc



Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 4463
Location: Nc5xd7+ スターダストの海洋

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'm not well versed in Toei's inner workings or past executive decisions. Can someone with a better knowledge of their internal politics explore the implications of this move?

To truly understand some of the implications one must first recognize that almost all decisions in business is done by consensus. Whereas in a typical American company a top executive would almost surely quit before taking a lower position (or get fired), a Japanese businessman would simply consider it a reassignment of roles among the group. Since the top executive will almost never make any decision or action without consent of the group first, the ultimate responsibility lies less with him as it does with the entire group or decision making entity, unlike typical western executives. The top position is important, but ultimately he is a front man more than anything, and his vote will count no more, or no less than anyone else who is on the board (this is one of the particular reasons it is so difficult to institute change within Japanese businesses).

So what does this mean? Either he was tired of being the front man and still feels a great obligation to the company, or the board decided it would be in the best interest to have someone else be the front man. Either way the decision was almost surely made by consensus, and the fact he was allowed to resume his role as a board member means that they were not unhappy with the way he ran things. This also makes it easier for him to retire later because if he did that while he was on top it might cause controversy and the company will lose face.

Quote:
Anyone know if this could impact any current anime licenses and relationships?

I don't think anyone knows that. There might be change, there might be none. But if history tells us anything, the change will come at a very slow pace. One of the more famous stories where change did get instituted without consent of the board was the case of the Walkman. Had it been up to the board the product would likely have never made it to development. One of the champions behind the Walkman happened to be the founder of Sony and ignored the board's discontent, it ended up making Sony a fortune. But that's the exception not the norm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
JairStout wrote:
So, they play magical chairs at the corporate level. :|
Don't you mean musical chairs? One can only hope that this little shuffle will loosen the blockage of releasing some, or rather all of their archive titles with proper marketing and distribution. Yes, one can only hope.


I think its musical chairs, but I had no idea morden chairs were able to produce music.

But seriously, I hope this means Toei will release some older anime shows (i.e. Draogn Quest: Dai No Daibokuen) into the US. I heard that show was licensed two years ago, but I still not sure if that is a rumor or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
manga1



Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
I would love to see sailor moon again, but the creator, Naoko Techiuchi, said that she will never allow her creation sailor moon back into the North America reagion again because of they way they butchered the product the first time, and the miss marketing of her product.

PNP or Princess Naoko Planning now controls the rights to sailor moon and they have first say over the dealings of it, that is why they would not let the american companys renew it in 2004 when the licence for it expired. I bet even if you went to japan and begged her personaly she still would not grant the request, its too bad.

I would love to see stars, its the holy grail of Sailor moon never released licenced in North America, and never butchered in dubbing. I would love to see it subbed, and all of it released as one box set like they did with Robotech in the protoculture collection, that would be soo nice and even to see the movie shorts as well that went with the sailor moon movie. Too badthey also don't have a spote for it on the channels uncut the onely place for it might be adult swim or anim monday, they however don't usually show shojo anime.

signed Jeremy manga1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CCSYueh



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Posts: 2707
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
manga1 wrote:
I would love to see sailor moon again, but the creator, Naoko Techiuchi, said that she will never allow her creation sailor moon back into the North America reagion again because of they way they butchered the product the first time, and the miss marketing of her product.
signed Jeremy manga1


But she is the manga-ka, not the animator.
I've seen comments from Clamp about leaving the anime up to the animators. I've seen comments from manga-ka reluctant to allow other works to be animated because the artist didn't approve of what the animators did.
As I recall TP's manga version was from the old days when they flipped the art which some artists did take issue with.
I have the 2 uncut sub-only sets from ADV. Did she hate that?
I have the uncut dvds from Geneon that were released(no Stars). I can't see that she would have a problem with those. Dic wasn't the only version

Couldn't this also be seen as an attempt to bring in fresh blood/a more up-to-date outlook but keeping the old pro close enough to prevent disaster? O maybe the older dude is looking to cut back--health issues, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group