• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Studio Shuffles Top Executives

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:50 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
manga1 wrote:
I would love to see sailor moon again, but the creator, Naoko Techiuchi, said that she will never allow her creation sailor moon back into the North America reagion again because of they way they butchered the product the first time, and the miss marketing of her product.
signed Jeremy manga1

But she is the manga-ka, not the animator.
I've seen comments from Clamp about leaving the anime up to the animators. I've seen comments from manga-ka reluctant to allow other works to be animated because the artist didn't approve of what the animators did.
As I recall TP's manga version was from the old days when they flipped the art which some artists did take issue with.
I have the 2 uncut sub-only sets from ADV. Did she hate that?
I have the uncut dvds from Geneon that were released(no Stars). I can't see that she would have a problem with those. Dic wasn't the only version

Couldn't this also be seen as an attempt to bring in fresh blood/a more up-to-date outlook but keeping the old pro close enough to prevent disaster? O maybe the older dude is looking to cut back--health issues, etc.

It's all rumor and suspicion, but it is true that in anime the creator of the original work the anime is based off of often has a very large say in how and where the work is sold. As a more recent example, many people thought that one of the reasons the second season of haruhi took so long to make was that the original author of the novels was holding out for more money or something.

In fact, that's one explanation for the strange way the second season is airing: Perhaps he is refusing to allow a "second season", but they can get away with making MORE episodes of the original show, hence mandating the inane way it is airing on TV.

No one knows exactly what the hold up is with Sailor Moon, but it definitely is POSSIBLE that it is the original manga-ka.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

No one knows exactly what the hold up is with Sailor Moon, but it definitely is POSSIBLE that it is the original manga-ka.
It is possible, but if I were that mangaka and I knew there were more brass to squeeze out of Sailor Moon, uncut, and redubbed, I wouldn't want it just collecting dust is a dark and dank storage room; I'd want it out there earning its keep, like it ought to. But as we know the Japanese are a strange lot.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

It is possible, but if I were that mangaka and I knew there were more brass to squeeze out of Sailor Moon, uncut, and redubbed, I wouldn't want it just collecting dust is a dark and dank storage room; I'd want it out there earning its keep, like it ought to. But as we know the Japanese are a strange lot.

In fact, a rep from funimation said point blank at Anime-Next a week ago that the license was "unavailable because of the creator".

15:08:22 <bay> right now , the rights are not available
15:10:47 <bay> the creator is not making the rights available (for various reasons)

http://bayoab.info/live/live2.php?panel=7

So funi is either perpetuation the rumor or it's the truth. Who knows what those "reasons" are.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

In fact, a rep from funimation said point blank at Anime-Next a week ago that the license was "unavailable because of the creator".

15:10:47 <bay> the creator is not making the rights available (for various reasons)

So funi is either perpetuation the rumor or it's the truth. Who knows what those "reasons" are.

If true, I wonder why they included a redub of Sailor Moon in their recent survey.

Or perhaps that is the only way to get it back into NA, if they promise to do a better job translating and dubbing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

If true, I wonder why they included a redub of Sailor Moon in their recent survey.

Or perhaps that is the only way to get it back into NA, if they promise to do a better job translating and dubbing it.

Read the context of their answer at the con in the link above. Basically the inclusion was a "whim"
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Read the context of their answer at the con in the link above. Basically the inclusion was a "whim"

Ah, I see now.

Well that was kind of a mean whim.

Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Ah, I see now.

Well that was kind of a mean whim.

Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Laughing

I feel sorry for the 2000 moonies that Funi tricked into having some hope.

Honestly, in my opinion the best way to get Sailor Moon legally sold abroad again would be to pirate it like mad.

And I'm not talking about downloads, I'm talking about blatantly, brazenly selling professional quality DVD boxsets in violation of copyright.
It has to be so blatant that Japan sues you. Once that happens, honor will demand that they then provide a legal alternative.

That's actually exactly what happened in France with "Golderack" and Toei... some local french company made a killing selling DVDs of the show (which was aired a long time ago dubbed in france), and Toei sued them, but then released their own box set afterwards.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
You can go ebay or amazon and get the bootlegs but they are crud. I was tricked into buying one thinking it was the Geneon version. The audio of these doesn't sync up with the animation. It's not worth getting back a TOEI. That's how bad they are.

It's irratating that she would let something so good just hide in a hole! It's like a painter painting his one big sha'bamm (which this was for her, nothing else she ever made was very popular) and letting people see it for a year then burning it. If Funi did just put that up there as a trick I am going to be so mad, stop buying Funi items mad. I was really looking forward to the possibility of a retry for Sailor Moon. There is the fan base for it, no denying that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
@Samuelp
Well this is interesting and may shed some light on what you are implying.
Quote:
15:08:05 <bay> and someone decided to put up if you guys want a redub of sailor moon
15:08:08 <bay> normally we get 80 comments...
15:08:11 <bay> we got 2000

So basically they were testing the waters, so to speak, and got more than they expected. One could see them use this to stick under the creator's nose to try and change her mind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2