• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mamoru Oshii Says He Wants to Make New Film in Poland

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marek1712

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I wanna know when (if) he's gonna visit our country Razz
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least he didn't forget them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, Oshii. I'd never have predicted he'd choose such a location for a film. Saying that however, my lack of being able to expect his next project is something I've fast come to expect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I feel like something has put the fear of God in Oshii he's been cranking films out really fast in the past year or so. I'm just sort of blown away by the speed.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Oshii's "Avalon" was made in Poland. I liked that quite a bit, sure it was paced like pretty much everything Oshii has put out but I liked Ash (Małgorzata Foremniak) as the main character & the effects were pretty good too. The sepia-toned world was a cool touch & I thought that the twin-rotored "Hind-ish" helo was a sweet design.

I wonder what his connection (if any) to Poland is? Labor costs? "Bleak" Eastern European scenery that works well in futuristic, dystopian settings? Hot Polish women??
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:
I wonder what his connection (if any) to Poland is? Labor costs? "Bleak" Eastern European scenery that works well in futuristic, dystopian settings? Hot Polish women??

As one of the features on the Avalon DVD, there is a rather deep interview with Oshii. He talks about how he was influenced by Polish movies he saw as a kid. He liked, in his words, "the slightly austere and somber imagery of Polish cinema", and thought that type of backdrop would be perfect for Avalon.

He also said another reason for choosing Poland was because he "really liked Polish actresses". He didn't go into any detail on why, maybe he thought they were especially talented, or as you put it, "Hot". Wink
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
B-503_MIA wrote:

As one of the features on the Avalon DVD, there is a rather deep interview with Oshii. He talks about how he was influenced by Polish movies he saw as a kid. He liked, in his words, "the slightly austere and somber imagery of Polish cinema", and thought that type of backdrop would be perfect for Avalon.

He also said another reason for choosing Poland was because he "really liked Polish actresses". He didn't go into any detail on why, maybe he thought they were especially talented, or as you put it, "Hot". Wink

I can't help but mention the animation that has come out of Poland in recent years. From what little I've seen and understand it's award winning and seen as a competitor to Japan's industry. Not saying he's going to make an animated film or anything just saying that could have drawn his eye there as well.

Totally agree with everything else said.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
B-503_MIA wrote:

Thanks for that info, I don't have the Avalon DVD so I never saw that interview, I had DVRed it from the Encore Action channel a few years back. Which version of the DVD do you have, I may want to pick a copy up but the wiki on it seemed to imply there were some issues...
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:
dizzon wrote:
B-503_MIA wrote:

Thanks for that info, I don't have the Avalon DVD so I never saw that interview, I had DVRed it from the Encore Action channel a few years back. Which version of the DVD do you have, I may want to pick a copy up but the wiki on it seemed to imply there were some issues...

I didn't know there were any issues, in fact, I didn't know there were any other versions. The copy I have always played fine. It is distributed by Miramax Home Entertainment if that helps any. Out of curiosity I will check out the wiki page for more info.

Four years ago a Movie Gallery moved into my little town and drove out the little local movie rental place. They had a big sale on everything they had, and that is where I found my copy of Avalon. It plays perfect, doesn't have a scratch on it and only cost me three bucks.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Well The Sky Crawlers was pants if I'm honest, so let's hope this live action dabble helps get him on his game for his next planned anime movie.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if he's thinking of changing the announced Kerberos prequel from an animated/CG film to a live-action film? Shooting in Poland would make sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1