• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Key's Angel Beats! Project Gets TV Anime Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloud668

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
I'm both surprised and intrigued that they're skipping the VN route entirely this time. Oh well, Jun Maeda's scenario equals me watching regardless.

Please, someone else besides KyoAni this time? It's nothing against KyoAni, it's just boring knowing what to expect.

He's done it before. Remember Hibiki's Magic?
Zipper

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Zipper wrote:
Yay, more generic Key stuff! And the main character looks like Haruhi! Yay!

Lol Haruhi isn't Key, it's Kadokawa and Kyoto's working. If Kyoto does the Animation for this you bet ^^

I didn't say Haruhi was Key. I said the main character of this work looks like Haruhi.
Cloud668

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Zipper wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Zipper wrote:
Yay, more generic Key stuff! And the main character looks like Haruhi! Yay!

Lol Haruhi isn't Key, it's Kadokawa and Kyoto's working. If Kyoto does the Animation for this you bet ^^

I didn't say Haruhi was Key. I said the main character of this work looks like Haruhi.

Now I somehow have the idea that this is actually the Haruhi "season two" (whatever they are putting on now doesn't count).
zalas

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
Cloud668 wrote:
zalas wrote:
Heh, yet another animated adaptation of a game greenlit before the game actually comes out (and in this case, it's barely into production...)

Uhh, they've never really said it's a game.

I kind of assumed it would be since it's hosted on Key's website, but I guess that was premature of me. In any case, here's another picture courtesy of 2ch:
http://p.pita.st/?tdb3mmfp

Quick translation (suggestions for corrections welcome):

Summary of Interview:
* Around the time when work on Little Busters! was finished, Jun Maeda was approached by Aniplex's Toba(?) who said that he wanted to work together. The official presentation was in October of 2007.
* "The story takes place in the afterlife." "The main characters are all dead persons." "Battles are a highlight [of this series]."
* The main characters have all led unreasonable lives previously, and belong to the SSS (Shinda Sekai Sensen, Dead World Battlefront), which battles angels(Angel?) in order to rebel against God, who had bestowed them such a fate. Their leader is Yurippe.
* The SSS members use guns and the angels use supernatural forces in battles that unfurl.
* The main characters have led unreasonable lives and then died, and thus are rebelling against God. The story of their rebellion against God is intended to hopefully convey a feeling of "life is wonderful, and even though it is unreasonable at times, it is still precious."
* Na-Ga was chosen by Maeda at the beginning of 2008.
* Yurippe's design is supposed to be that of a girl with "a demanding(?) personality, an air of leadership and long hair."
* Maeda: "Since my current favorite heroine is Persona 4's Yukiko Amagi, heroines obviously should have hairbands!"
* About 30 or so characters (including minor characters) have been designed.
* In the SSS, in addition to Yurippe, there's a Decoy Squad and a Tsurikichi.
* The Decoy Squad "Girls Dead Monster" (GalDeMo for short) would put on a sudden live event to grab everyone's attention and Yurippe and the main squad would carry on their battle plans. A(?) tsurikichi is a professional at baiting.
* Na-Ga: "I've completed the designs, so right now I'm just waiting to see if there's more work to be done."
* Maeda: "I've finished the general structure of the story and the plot for all the episodes."
* Opening and Ending Themes are currently in production. If possible, Maeda(?) would like to have a hand in the composition of all the vocal songs. GalDeMo song(s) are also slated.

Staff:
Planning: Jun Maeda
Director: Yutaka Yamamoto (Ordet)
Series Composition: Jun Maeda
Character Design: Na-Ga
Lead Animation Director: Satoshi Kadowaki
Prop Design: Keiko Nakaji
Color Setup: Kazuko Nakajima (?)
Art Director: Atsushi Morikawa
Art Setup: Emi Kesamaru (?)
Cinematographer: Takeshi Hirooka
Editing: Kentarou Tsubane (?)
Music: Jun Maeda, Shinji Orito
Sound Director: Hiromi Kikuta
Production Assistance: Ordet
Animation Production: A-1 Pictures
Production: Aniplex

EDIT: Added quick translation of interview summary

Last edited by zalas on Thu May 28, 2009 1:52 am; edited 4 times in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
What's that? Key's doing another show that no doubt will be about another bunch of brainless dolts?

It's not being done by KyoAni?

Well, that's any concern I had for it gone, it's another one of those "Out of sight, out of mind, things".
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
A-1 should be able to do an adequate job for the animation, considering their work on Kannagi.
Cloud668

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
zalas wrote:
Cloud668 wrote:
zalas wrote:
Heh, yet another animated adaptation of a game greenlit before the game actually comes out (and in this case, it's barely into production...)

Uhh, they've never really said it's a game.

I kind of assumed it would be since it's hosted on Key's website, but I guess that was premature of me. In any case, here's another picture courtesy of 2ch:
http://p.pita.st/?tdb3mmfp

Staff:
Planning: Jun Maeda
Director: Yutaka Yamamoto (Ordet)
Series Composition: Jun Maeda
Character Design: Na-Ga
Lead Animation Director: Satoshi Kadowaki
Prop Design: Keiko Nakaji
Color Setup: Kazuko Nakajima (?)
Art Director: Atsushi Morikawa
Art Setup: Emi Kesamaru (?)
Cinematographer: Takeshi Hirooka
Editing: Kentarou Tsubane (?)
Music: Jun Maeda, Shinji Orito
Sound Director: Hiromi Kikuta
Production Assistance: Ordet
Animation Production: A-1 Pictures
Production: Aniplex

I just kind of had the idea that they wouldn't make it a game, since if they are, they'd say it's a game. But well, Key + Yamakan = Awesomeness?
zalas

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
Cloud668 wrote:
I just kind of had the idea that they wouldn't make it a game, since if they are, they'd say it's a game. But well, Key + Yamakan = Awesomeness?

I smell a new dance <_< And considering the plot, Yamakan is going to have a lot of fun with this show...
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
A-1 has been doing some real class stuff lately, and it's wonderful to see someone besides KyoAni and Tatsuya Ishihara doing Key projects for once. Same type of story + same studio + same director = GETS OOOOOOLD
Cloud668

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
zalas wrote:
Cloud668 wrote:

I smell a new dance <_< And considering the plot, Yamakan is going to have a lot of fun with this show...

Well, I recall reading that he won't be having dances for opening/endings anymore, but I won't rule out the possiblity of him having one in the episodes themselves (wouldn't rule out the possibility of him reusing a dance with a similar-looking character, either...)
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
*head tilt*

...So, they're adapting some... project I've never heard of...

And not Little Busters!... Awesome.

Very awesome.

*silently lets nerdrage boil inside*
Cloud668

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
*head tilt*

Very awesome.

True kagikko (i.e. Key nerd, or whatever) don't care what project it is as long as there's a Key staff/formerly Key staff associated with it.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:32 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
*head tilt*

Very awesome.

Huh? Why would anyone even be angry? This is an original project between Jun Maeda/Aniplex/A-1 Pictures. This won't affect whatever Key game Kyoani plans on adapting.
prnoct90

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
*head tilt*

Very awesome.

Huh? Why would anyone even be angry? This is an original project between Jun Maeda/Aniplex/A-1 Pictures. This won't affect whatever Key game Kyoani plans on adapting.

I completely agree:

1. A-1 Pictures (Ordet) did an awesome job with Kannagi, and I'm sure they'll put the same amount of work into this one
2. By having someone else do this, which isn't even one of Key's VNs, it allows Kyoto Animation to continue to adapt those
3. We get another production by the same director as Haruhi : )

Just my 2 cents.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
*head tilt*

Very awesome.

I know! and there skipping Rewrite too! a game Key announced a longgggg time ago, n is currently in development... I mean I first heard about Angel Beats about a month ago actually... so yeah... No Little Busters!... No Planetrarian... No Tomoyo After... No Moon.... No Dousei... No One... but Angel Beats.................. Might be kinda good?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4