• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece's Newest Episode Leaked Before Japan's Debut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
I think this is just proof that Funi is new to the video streaming market. I the other day I watched one of the One Piece episodes and it took two hours to get to a decent length for me to watch. I think if Toei and Funi can work out of the kinks then everything will be fine. If not... I pray for One Piece in the US.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Hopefully, they'll prosecute the person who found the backdoor in.

That is really embarrasing. What would have happened if something more damaging was found and released?

You can't prosecute someone for finding a backdoor if it didn't involve any system intrusion.

Very very dumbed down similar example of what happened: Back in 2007 when FUNi did their announcement spree, they simply numbered the announcement pages 601 through 610. By changing the show number in the url, you could see the future announcements.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
Some people here are saying that the leak isn't that big of a deal. We'll see come the actual air date for this show in Japan.

Besides, considering how sensitive Toei is about their properties, serious ramifications between them and FUNimation isn't entirely out of the question. I'm only hoping in this situation that cooler heads will prevail.
miji

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Well this sucks! I just started watching this the other day Neutral ! I hope these asshats are proud of themselves, but knowing these doucebags they're probably celebrating!

Hope Funi is still able to stream the One Piece episodes. They're like the only company surviving right now and it sucks that this happened to limit the amount of anime that we get to see.

Last edited by miji on Sat May 30, 2009 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
As serious as the repercussions are, it wouldn't be in Toei's best interest to pull the license for this show over one flub on FUNi's part. If Toei does sink to that level, I will lose all respect for the company.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
As serious as the repercussions are, it wouldn't be in Toei's best interest to pull the license for this show over one flub on FUNi's part. If Toei does sink to that level, I will lose all respect for the company.
Not that's done bugger and all to stop them from punting puppies in the street before...
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, that is a pretty dick move by who ever did that. In fact, it's a really dick move. The ****er couldn't wait a day and watch it with English subtitles the same day Japan got it? No wonder many Japanese companies are still afraid of the internet (Toei included, One Piece is AFAIK the only show they're streaming the day it airs in Japan).
Seconded. Impatient twerps.

Thirded. The sense of entitlement some people get from using the internet is truly remarkable.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way.

You have to assume that people will try and "hack" you (for lack of better words) when you set these services up, and prepare your security accordingly. Funi failed rather hard at that.

I'd be surprised if their admin wasn't fired/demoted over this. Fansub groups have better security than this.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
They should have gone with Crunchyroll for distribution instead.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
You have to assume that people will try and "hack" you (for lack of better words) when you set these services up, and prepare your security accordingly. Funi failed rather hard at that.

I'd be surprised if their admin wasn't fired/demoted over this. Fansub groups have better security than this.

Your (former) fansubber superiority complex is showing. :p

Most media companies are just not used to having to keep everything under lock and key like a bank. It's a pretty new thing for people to even be going after anime companies this maliciously. (And that IS what this is. Even if it was innocent snooping on an unlocked server, pulling it down and throwing it up on torrent sites is pretty clearly theft.

I'll agree Funi really needs to step it up on the server level, but let's not forget who the victim is here.

The attitudes on display on the part of the pro-fansub community is pretty sickening IMHO. They're giving you SUBTITLED, DAY-AND-DATE anime for FREE. What more do you want from these people!?
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:

Your (former) fansubber superiority complex is showing. :p

Most media companies are just not used to having to keep everything under lock and key like a bank. It's a pretty new thing for people to even be going after anime companies this maliciously. (And that IS what this is. Even if it was innocent snooping on an unlocked server, pulling it down and throwing it up on torrent sites is pretty clearly theft.

I'll agree Funi really needs to step it up on the server level, but let's not forget who the victim is here.

lol guilty as charged.

It just drives me nuts to see such completely avoidable mistakes slip through. Not so much from an anime standpoint, but just from the mindset of an IT administrator (I do run some servers of my own).

Seriously, these are concepts that you'd learn your first week on the job at a real admin position.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
I think you're looking at this the wrong way.

So basically it's their fault for actually expecting fans to be happy about them doing basically what the fans have been asking for since day 1? Simulcasting anime eps in Japan and on the net for free with English subs like fans said they wanted isn't enough huh?

You don't think there's something wrong with this situation? It's kind of like pre-ordering something from a store and when you find out the shipment arrived, breaking into the back before it opens that morning to steal it and all after basically begging the store to bend over backwards to special order your item. Is it really too much to ask that people just follow the rules and refrain from things like this?

Notice the sudden lack of One Piece episodes on Funi's video portal. Consider the legal ramifications, especially if preventing a leak was a major part of getting the rights to stream the show in the first place! (Regardless of the lack of security this is a negative toward fans. Plus we really don't know exactly what was done to find this episode as the article merely says it was "discovered" on a publicly accessible server. How much digging was required to make that discovery?)

The whole thing just screams of astounding levels of ingratitude. Don't do what the fans ask, they illegally distribute the anime. Do what the fans ask, THEY STILL ILLEGALLY DISTRIBUTE THE ANIME! If the situation boils down to damned if you do and damned if you don't, at what point does everyone just throw up their hands and drop the whole thing?

I mean, imagine trying to apply this kind of logic to other crimes (and don't kid yourself, this is criminal just not a felony) and you'll see this "victim is to blame cause they weren't secure enough" mentality is crap.
xScar

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
How much digging was required to make that discovery?)

As someone said before about them just having to change the numbers on the announcements to find the next ones, the videos were as simple as that. Their .flvs are their servers are just named basically "SHOWNAME_EP#_LANGUAGE_RESOLUTION.flv"... so for One Piece 403 you would have "ONE_PIECE_403_JPN_640x360.flv." So no digging was probably done at all... it's even simpler than trying to download a video off of Youtube.

Richard J. wrote:

I mean, imagine trying to apply this kind of logic to other crimes (and don't kid yourself, this is criminal just not a felony) and you'll see this "victim is to blame cause they weren't secure enough" mentality is crap.

So let's saying... a store leaves valuable merchandise in their window of their show... and then they just leave the door open, free for all to waltz in... and there are no employees in the store, no security, nothing... just the stuff. There is not one company in the world that would not think that the stuff in that store will be stolen. It's the same principle here, if you want to try and "imagine" this in a logical sense.

With FUNi's One Piece videos now down... I wonder if they will make the previously set schedule or not... Of course they probably took them all down to up their security, but wouldn't the simplest thing to do right now (until they can figure out a better security set-up) is to just not upload shows early? Or if they do, not to have the filenames in a standard format? They don't have to go super-protective like Hulu or Joost where no one can download their videos, but if they were to do something like Crunchyroll and make the filenames jibberish like "23432jksdfsdm.mp4" then no one would be able to find things early without some extreme hacking...

edit:
Guess it's on a complete hold... with that new releases.

Last edited by xScar on Sat May 30, 2009 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
So basically it's their fault for actually expecting fans to be happy about them doing basically what the fans have been asking for since day 1? Simulcasting anime eps in Japan and on the net for free with English subs like fans said they wanted isn't enough huh?

It's their fault for utterly failing at securing the files before release, yes.

I think a breakdown of how this "hack" (I don't even want to glorify it with that word) is prudent to this conversation.

Funi loads all the files on a public webserver before release.

These files are all downloadable via http, bypassing any password protection, RTMPE (are they even using that?), and even geographic lock-outs. All by using the direct url.

Funi uses a consistent file naming convention for every episode.

So let's say you are given that Anime Episode 005 is at http://blah.funi.com/files/Anime_Episode_005.flv, it's pretty easy to figure out that episode 6 might be at http://blah.funi.com/files/Anime_Episode_006.flv.

It's an attempt at security by obscurity, and a bad one at that.

I said earlier, this can be fixed with a one line cronjob which either copies the file over at the given time, or changes the permissions at the proper time. Not to mention, at least obfuscate the filename so guesses like these are not easy to do. Someone earlier suggested writing a script to append the SHA hash to the end of the filename. That would be seamless and do the job, though it would still have the file on a public-facing server prior to airdate.

In any other industry, this would be seen as an IT failure. I'm not sure why Funi gets a pass for being the good guy. I like Funi very much and own many of their DVDs. I think they do tremendous work. Their IT department needs an overhaul. That's all I am saying.
Waryas

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Just saying, rtmpe wouldn't solve things with things like rtmpdump in the wild.
They should have used some sort of .htaccess or simply not upload the episode on their server before the real release time.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm shocked.
FUNi have already done this before by putting eps for that Phantom anime up, leading to them being leaked and the subtitles being applied to HD raws.
If I was Toei, I'd be pretty pissed right now considering the majority of the western fansub community have seen the ep way before it airs in Japan.
Like I've hinted, if this was the first time, then you could forgive FUNi, but they are clearly slowing a lack of experience in the streaming market and it may end up costing someone their job, or even worse, a greater delay in regards to when they're given subbed eps, or hell, even the entire deal being ripped up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 35