• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Connect Five

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinamara

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Virtual seamen? WTF?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, SAO is designed to be incredibly realistic....
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Some things are best left alone, vinamara, and I'd say this is one of those things. :/
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Man I find these baffled reactions absolutely hilarious and I probably shouldn't Laughing

Well the anime leaves out a scene from the novel where Kirito asks if it's even possible for them to do it and Asuna says it is. Though I think by the mere fact that Asuna started stripping with that intent in mind speaks for itself.

Also, while the author's age isn't known it's thought that he was in his teens when he wrote SAO back in 2002 so that'd explain a lot.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously, if you're not watching Kuroko's Basketball, you're missing out on one hell of a comedy.

What comedy? Oh, you mean the old & stupid idea of "It's over-the-top so it has to be a comedy!"?

I'm sorry, but really, Bamboo? Are you really going along with this way of thinking? Granted, I haven't kept up with Kuroko for a while (I'm waiting for it to finish, & then I'll continue from where I left off at), but I really hate how people have to justify/counteract/downplay/etc. over-the-top stylings in some titles by saying that it's a "comedy". You want an over-the-top sports anime that's actually a "comedy"? Watch the Blazing Transfer Student OVA, because that's actually a "comedy" (technically, it's a parody, but that is an actual form of comedy). Just having over-the-top elements does not mean that it's a comedy.

Hell, this is animation, so why should over-the-top elements be downplayed/not done at all? Isn't part of the appeal of animation is seeing things that can't normally be done via live-action or real life? Yeah, I can understand wanting to see more realistic stuff in anime, & I can appreciate that too, but I just don't see why over-the-top stylings have to be comdemned. Do you want to make fun of it? Go ahead, as some of it is funny to watch... But just finding a certain something in a show funny doesn't make the entire production a comedy.

If you enjoy Kuroko's Basketball, Bamboo, then you enjoy it. Do you find some of the over-the-top elements funny? It's fine if you do and I'm fine with you talking about how you find it entertaining in a comical way, but that doesn't make the show itself a comedy, nor should it recommended as one, because it isn't one. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm nagging, but the whole idea of "over-the-top = comedy" in titles like this really is a pet peeve of mine, and I hate to see it not only brought up in conversation but also encouraged.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
Virtual seamen? WTF?

What is this, da Navy? AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Sorry.
stardf29

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Kokoro Connect, I felt that what the Kizu Random arc was leading up to wasn't the love confession, but rather, the confrontation between Iori and Inaba. The confession was pretty secondary to that.

Natsuyuki Rendevous's solid ending raises my overall impression of the series up, but yeah, I did feel that a lot of the potential the show had was squandered by spending way too long with the storybook plot.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
While Bamboo enjoys watching Mutta mow lawns, I'm not so sure the audience in Japan is quite so enthusiastic.

What do Japanese know about mowing lawns! Nobody mows lawns in Japan! Laughing

Vaisaga wrote:

Still, you can tell the first novel was written with a single book in mind. It told its story and that was it. But then it became popular so the 2nd novel is used to expand upon the first and introduces a larger cast to carry on into future stories.

Kinda like many an anime/manga that was supposed to end but proved popular enough so they expounded on it.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Ratings have begun to slip a bit for Uchuu Kyoudai. After continually garnering household ratings in the 3-4% range at the outset, the past few weeks have seen ratings in the mid-to-low twos.

The Olympics and summer vacation likely played a part in that.

Japanese don't have summer vacations! Wink

ANN_Bamboo wrote:
vinamara wrote:
Virtual seamen? WTF?

Sorry.

Seamen Ship For Love! Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
Seriously, if you're not watching Kuroko's Basketball, you're missing out on one hell of a comedy.

What comedy? Oh, you mean the old & stupid idea of "It's over-the-top so it has to be a comedy!"?

I'm sorry, but really, Bamboo? Are you really going along with this way of thinking?

... It's fine if you do and I'm fine with you talking about how you find it entertaining in a comical way, but that doesn't make the show itself a comedy.

I'm 95% sure you're one of the very, very few people who would read that sentence and take it to mean that Kuroko's Basketball is literally a comedy.

I'm not going to apologize for saying that Kuroko's Basketball is unintentionally hilarious. Some things are. Just by reading the review, one should be able to tell from context that the "comedy" element of Kuroko's Basketball is unintentional. So... yeah, don't take that sentence too literally. I don't think anyone else is.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I'm not going to apologize for saying that Kuroko's Basketball is unintentionally hilarious. Some things are. Just by reading the review, one should be able to tell from context that the "comedy" element of Kuroko's Basketball is unintentional. So... yeah, don't take that sentence too literally. I don't think anyone else is.

Nor should you apologize for finding something unintentionally hilarious, because that's going to happen. It's just that I've seen too many moments of people seriously & honestly stating that shows that feature over-the-top moments are meant to be taken & treated as comedies that it's kind of become an automatic reaction of mine to get annoyed at that sentiment, even if you said it as a joke. If anything, I apologize to you for taking it the wrong way, but it is a line that does annoy me personally, because people do actually & seriously think that way about over-the-top stuff.
vinamara

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
vinamara wrote:
Virtual seamen? WTF?

Sorry.

Lol I totally set you up! Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm more worried about a lack of a Blu-Ray, or English-only Blu-Rays. Surely with such a super-popular series the Reverse Importation Monster will rear its head.

Edit:

jsieczkar wrote:
Its going to be a AoA release, they have basically said as much.

Oh, well that makes sense given the circumstances. Kind of pissed off about that though, because I don't like this show anywhere near as much as I like PMMM or Bakemonogatari. I don't mind paying top dollar for something outstanding, but I don't consider Sword Art Online to be worth the sorts of prices that Aniplex charges.

Goodbye several hundred dollars, I hardly knew ye.

for once I will agree with you, sao is an okay show but's not worth 300 dollars for complete set. I wouldn't spend more than 100 to own if I really wanted it >_>
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Sample dialog:

"Two years worth of semen made a glopping noise as it flowed endlessly into Asuna."

I hate to ask, but... why two years' worth? How... what..?

Just think of it has some really horribly written erotica the original author did before making it big. It was published on his site only but never in any of the light novels, if you care to read it well hmm..check on twitter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
for once I will agree with you...

No way, you? Agreeing? With me?

Can you even use those words in a sentence like that?

~shocku~

(LOL)

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Just think of it has some really horribly written erotica the original author did before making it big. It was published on his site only but never in any of the light novels, if you care to read it well hmm..check on twitter.

It is faster to simply google "Sword Art Online Chapter 16.5".

I've read it - well, parts of it - and the author's inexperience really shows. It's like everything he knows he learnt from Hentai Manga.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
It reads exactly like every lemon fanfic I've ever read (and written) Laughing

Well there have been plenty of doujinshi adaptations of that chapter, that's for sure Very Happy
Greggy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm the Yui side story is absolutely 100% necessary for the second season, but it will definitely take all of episode 12 and assuming its only going to be 13 episodes I have a bad feeling they are gonna ruin the spoiler[75th floor boss fight + Kirito vs heathcliff final battle by forcing it in one episode and this would really ruin the climax.]

spoiler[I think it would also be very disappointing if they continued the SAO arc into the second season as alfheim online story should flow much better and is way more appealing. I also loved the dramatic relationship between kirito and his sister in the real world and then in game. Even more so then kirito and asuna.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12