• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Claymore DVD 5

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Good to see this series getting good reviews. It's a great series. I enjoyed it. I just finished reading the first 13 vols. of the manga. And I have to say I enjoy them equally. But again it's what you expect with a series being adapted. I felt the animation was good, despite the flaws. Mind you I had avoided this series until about year ago.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Looking at Claire in her last appearance in this volume, I couldn't help but be struck by what that crazy guy Nietzsche said about fighting monsters (and I'm going to paraphrase slightly):

When battling monsters, one should take care not to become a monster. For when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Looking at Claire in her last appearance in this volume, I couldn't help but be struck by what that crazy guy Nietzsche said about fighting monsters (and I'm going to paraphrase slightly):

When battling monsters, one should take care not to become a monster. For when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Not surprising, since that's essentially the series' main underlying theme. (Hmmm, I'll have to remember that quote come time to review the final volume.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Not surprising, since that's essentially the series' main underlying theme. (Hmmm, I'll have to remember that quote come time to review the final volume.)

My problem with the ending is what are they going to do should they ever decide to make a second season. Or did they set it up purposefully to end the series in their own fashion now because they knew they'd never continue on it? If they did animate a second series, my guess would have to be continuing on the from the manga's story and just disregarding what happens at the end of this one. Too many ifs, it's doubtful a season two would happen anyway.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo,

It seems to me that they do not intend to create a 2nd season. I say this due to the pacing of the plot.

At first, the plot seemed to advance in a timely manner. You got the main characters established, some back story episodes, then additional secondary characters together with events that helped us get a better idea of the state of Claire's world. This was all well and good.

Then we come to the battle in the North. spoiler[ The trip into the North to take on the Abyssal Creature and its army was okay in a pacing sense, IMO. However, the rate at which established secondary characters are being wiped out seems... jarring. I mean, to me, characters that have been established to that degree usually have more meaningful deaths, or at least are spread out more. Otherwise, it sort of defeats the purpose of spending the time to establish them. Ilena is an example of a secondary character being used well, whereas Undine is, IMO an example of a character who, from a plot perspective, could've been much better employed.]

Now, the reason I bring up the above is that if they are going to do that sort of thing, it implies they're bringing character stories short because they don't intend to create enough episodes to tell them in a more thorough manner. If they were intending to create a 2nd season, then they would have plenty of time to weave more secondary characters into the plot.

So, as I said, I think the pacing, particularly of this volume, implies to me that they wont be making another season, which, IMO, is too bad.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Then we come to the battle in the North. spoiler[ The trip into the North to take on the Abyssal Creature and its army was okay in a pacing sense, IMO. However, the rate at which established secondary characters are being wiped out seems... jarring. I mean, to me, characters that have been established to that degree usually have more meaningful deaths, or at least are spread out more. Otherwise, it sort of defeats the purpose of spending the time to establish them. Ilena is an example of a secondary character being used well, whereas Undine is, IMO an example of a character who, from a plot perspective, could've been much better employed.]

That is all exactly as it happens in the manga, however - and that carries the story long beyond where it ends in the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
That is all exactly as it happens in the manga, however - and that carries the story long beyond where it ends in the anime.

Oh. I guess that explains my other observation that the battle just didn't seem to feel like a final battle for a story, but rather like a battle that would lead to other things.

I don't want it too seem like I'm all bent out of shape over plot pacing issues, as I really do like the series. But I do feel a bit jarred over how events played out (are playing out) regarding the battle.

As to the fates of various secondary characters, I suppose by taking the approach they took, it makes what happens to them more meaningful. I just felt they could've gotten more use out of some of them storywise than they did.

I generally don't read manga, but maybe I'll make an exception with Claymore.
Roi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
haven't gotten a chance to watch vol. 5. These good scores are making more anxious. Very Happy

Hey a question to anyone whose read the manga. Do you ever get to see their stomachs or chests? Im not at all familiar with the manga, but in recent volumes of the anime they say something about their chests being deformed. In volume 2 when Teresa is surround by the looters and thiefs she takes of her clothes off and you all know what she's says etc... Do they show this at all in the anime? or in the manga? or they don't show it at all they just mention it?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
Roi wrote:
haven't gotten a chance to watch vol. 5. These good scores are making more anxious. Very Happy

Hey a question to anyone whose read the manga. Do you ever get to see their stomachs or chests? Im not at all familiar with the manga, but in recent volumes of the anime they say something about their chests being deformed. In volume 2 when Teresa is surround by the looters and thiefs she takes of her clothes off and you all know what she's says etc... Do they show this at all in the anime? or in the manga? or they don't show it at all they just mention it?

I've seen all of the anime and read most of the manga that has been released in the States, and neither ever shows or goes into detail about that.
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I've recently caught up in all of the manga available. Regarding the deformities of the female warrior bodies... spoiler[Over the course of the manga you essentially see every square inch of a "Claymore's" body, quite a bit of #9 Jean's body especially. Needless to say their bodies are not very obviously scarred at all. Granted nothing is extremely close up (this isn't an ecchi series after all) but you would think that the author would see it fit to add at least a few lines indicating scars.

When Teresa rips open her clothing and offers herself up to the disgust of everyone, the only type of scarring that makes sense is possibly thin lines of stitching that cross-cross the body. Not readily visible as a distant drawing but from the eyes of a bunch of bandits probably very visible and off-putting.

And of course, when they awaken they can take on any form, I would assume it's a form that doesn't show off any scars, which would go well with the vanity of viewing themselves as a superior being.

If anything I think the lack of scarring is just an inconsistency with the series or possibly the author's desire to keep their bodies at least unspoiled in appearance.]

Yeesh... all that in spoiler tagging... my apologies.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
I am amused that Madhouse didn't go back and fix the minor, yet glaringly obvious continuity error towards the end of episode 21. If anyone's curious, it's during that scene spoiler[in the cave with Raki and Priscilla].
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I am amused that Madhouse didn't go back and fix the minor, yet glaringly obvious continuity error towards the end of episode 21. If anyone's curious, it's during that scene spoiler[in the cave with Raki and Priscilla].

Enlighten me? I don't remember this.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
Roi wrote:
Do you ever get to see their stomachs or chests? Im not at all familiar with the manga, but in recent volumes of the anime they say something about their chests being deformed.

Indeed, we didn't see anything for now, but it has been mentioned again in the manga (quite recently in fact during Agatha's arc), with some more explanation and a reference to the second manga volume, which is even earlier than Teresa's arc oO;; so I believe we will see it at some point, else it makes no sense for Yagi to mention it again and even think of it way back in the second volume in detail.
Roi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
thanks maya and mech. im probably going to have to read up on the manga. Because im guessing the anime is missing a lot of things the manga shows.
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
Actually the anime series does a good job of telling you everything you need, up until about volume 11 of the manga anyway. Other than a few minor scene changes vs earlier volumes of the manga, if you were interested in the Claymore story you could just start with volume 11 and slowly work your way backwards since that one is the major point of divergence between the two mediums.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2