• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J Industry Group Agrees on 'Rape Game' Ban on Tuesday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vincent iii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
dan888 wrote:
vincent iii wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
vincent iii wrote:
Both the poem and quote are quite excessive...

You say that now...

I just feel using holocaust and Hitler references for a video game genre getting banned to be excessive. But that's just my personal view Smile

That quote or not, whenever stuff starts getting banned for moral reasons, it becomes a slippery slope, always leading to the question of what should be banned next.

I agree. I feel the same might happen now that EN and other groups know that they have the power to inflict their views in Japan.
sarsman45

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I believe that this is a dumb. It's like the ban to try to get GTA out of the states. I'm too lazy to fight this, but it is an adult game that is for adults.

Period.

It's not for children, and comparative studies show that Japan is one of the most safest countries in the world in sex violence (unlike the states where Equality Now comes from).

Edit: I know that stats are not always true, but Equality First should focus on real life business instead of the virtual. It's like how UNICEF is trying to rid loli out of Japan. Why cant they focus on real live situations instead of virtual situations which keep real sex offenders/potentials in check?

Last edited by sarsman45 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
dan888 wrote:
That quote or not, whenever stuff starts getting banned for moral reasons, it becomes a slippery slope, always leading to the question of what should be banned next.

Oh noez, the dreaded slippery slope.

First they came for the murderers, but I did nothing because I was not a murderer.

Then they came for the kiddy-fiddlers and the violent abusive thugs, but I did nothing because I was not a kiddy-fiddler nor a violent abusive thug.

Then they came for the burglars, the thieves, and the fraudsters, and I did nothing because I was neither a burgler, nor a thief, nor a fraudster.

and then they... kinda stopped.

I hate the "slippery slope" argument applied to censorship, because I don't believe there's any real-world examples of a censorship regime growing owing to purely internal dynamics and effects.

If stuff gets banned, it's not 'cause the slope is "slippery", it's 'cause there's some guy outside pushing it downhill. Invariably.
Wetall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
If stuff gets banned, it's not 'cause the slope is "slippery", it's 'cause there's some guy outside pushing it downhill. Invariably.

No, the guy doesn't push it downhill. He trips and falls, and the masses that are dying for recognition/fame start pushing it downhill as a scapegoat without regards to the fact that peoples' actions and faults are the result of their own stupidity and irresponsibility.

Last edited by Wetall on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
dan888

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
dan888 wrote:

First they came for the murderers, but I did nothing because I was not a murderer.

Then they came for the kiddy-fiddlers and the violent abusive thugs, but I did nothing because I was not a kiddy-fiddler nor a violent abusive thug.

Then they came for the burglars, the thieves, and the fraudsters, and I did nothing because I was neither a burgler, nor a thief, nor a fraudster.

I hate the "slippery slope" argument applied to censorship, because I don't believe there's any real-world examples of a censorship regime growing owing to purely internal dynamics and effects.

Look at the slow but sure changes in terms of what is acceptable on the main Japanese TV stations (such as TV Tokyo) between 1990 and 2009. These broadcast regulations have become stricter overtime (not on one station, but pretty much all stations outside of satellite) and that didn't happen overnight. Equivalent content needed less censorship during prime time in the late 80's then it does at midnight today. That appears to be a slippery slope to me.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
That poem made sense in the way of slippery slope.

Right now, its rape games. Then it will be violent video games. Harm on humans/human types to suggestive themes. Possible "addiction" from gambling to leveling up. Then it starts moving to other mediums to manga, anime, and just whatever because no one stood up for the one thing that started it all.

Hate it or not, its a start of pushing someone's beliefs to a medium, and I don't like that. If you don't like something, you don't buy it. If it were to snowball, the only thing on TV would be a black screen of nothingness because everything else would be offensive to someone.

I can see this logic for GTA as a killing simulator, and I wouldn't be surprised if another group wants to push their agenda and ban it. Even though Rapelay was in Japan, what's to stop another group comparing GTA with logic of Rapelay?

This and the manga case has really bummed me out that people would rather deal with imaginary stuff than with real criminals after real people.
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Wetall wrote:
nargun wrote:

No, the guy doesn't push it downhill. He trips and falls, and the masses that are dying for recognition/fame start pushing it downhill as a scapegoat without regards to the fact that peoples' actions and faults are the result of their own stupidity and irresponsibility.

For someone who seems to be arguing very strongly that exposure to rape games doesn't influence actions, you seem strangely convinced of the power of cultural/environmental influences on people's actions when it comes to the censorship debate.

Which is it? Are people slaves to their environment, be it rape-games or external pressure for censorship, or are they capable of making their own decisions?

Because I don't think you can have it both ways.
kyoukix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Padme wrote:
So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause...

Another form of narrative and art buried by the censors… SHAME ON YOU JAPAN!!!
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
dan888 wrote:
nargun wrote:
dan888 wrote:

Look at the slow but sure changes in terms of what is acceptable on the main Japanese TV stations (such as TV Tokyo) between 1990 and 2009. These broadcast regulations have become stricter overtime (not on one station, but pretty much all stations outside of satellite) and that didn't happen overnight. Equivalent content needed less censorship during prime time in the late 80's then it does at midnight today. That appears to be a slippery slope to me.

"Slippery slope" is a bit more complex than "stuff keeps changing". "Slippery slope" is the assertion that some forms of change are self-engendered or self-promoting, "autocatalytic" perhaps, without really being in anyone's control and ultimately extending to levels that few or no people is actually comfortable with themselves. But because of the social context people think that everyone else is happy with it; emperor's new clothes or... there's a stanislaw lem short story in the cyberiad, I think.

Anyway, "slippery slope" is where initial change makes later change more likely, and more likely to be more extensive; "self-promoting". There's no real evidence that censorship works this way; we've got a lot of countries with a lot of censorship regimes, and these regimes have a very strong tendency to remain quite stable over long periods of time, once they have been introduced. That is, if "stuff keeps changing" it's not because the earlier change promotes later change but because censorship regimes have phased introductions and take a while to be fully in-place.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
kyoukix wrote:

Another form of narrative and art buried by the censors… SHAME ON YOU JAPAN!!!

Ahahaha don't kid yourself, just because everyone is going on about slippery slopes and how they should have the right to brutality rape virtual women if they want does not make it art. At all.

I honestly don't care about this ban because 1. It just means "Find a shortcut" not "Don't do it" 2. While I completely in free speech and all that, many laws are made because of community standards. It doesn't matter if you think they are screwed up that's what they are, so if the community says to ban rape games, rape games get banned. It pushes it underground it doesn't eliminate them.
And 3. The whole upskirt shot, female and idol exploiting culture in Japan might need a little light shone on it to be honest.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
"PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BAN RAPE GAMES ARE WORSE THAN HITLER!!!"

The purpose of the poem "First They Came..." isn't an indictment of those who censor or oppress, but rather of those who do nothing to stop it, so no Godwin's Law.
Wetall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Wetall wrote:
nargun wrote:

For someone who seems to be arguing very strongly that exposure to rape games doesn't influence actions, you seem strangely convinced of the power of cultural/environmental influences on people's actions when it comes to the censorship debate.

Which is it? Are people slaves to their environment, be it rape-games or external pressure for censorship, or are they capable of making their own decisions?

Because I don't think you can have it both ways.

I never said the masses themselves could never be stupid or irresponsible though. That's why the people themselves need rules and rights to abide by, hence the purpose behind a constitution which allows for free speech among other things.

Quote:
Ahahaha don't kid yourself, just because everyone is going on about slippery slopes and how they should have the right to brutality rape virtual women if they want does not make it art. At all.

Then let's hear you define what a piece of "art" is supposed to be. Like some of the others have said, you guys hardly even bother to justify your position other than the fact that you guys are find it distasteful/repulsive.
Prodigiosus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I think the most interesting thing is, if they had just picked a different name for the game, like "Woman hunter" or "Stalker" or even "Vile man-beast", we wouldn't be having this discussion. I think they only reason it's even an issue is because the title is just so damn obvious. It would be like if GTA was retitled "Kill Cops and Run Over Pedestrians for Fun (Also to be known as KCROPF)). People would be out to ban it in a minute (although Grand Theft Auto is pretty bad as a title I guess)

I also think the reason the theme of rape is such a hot button topic is because there never is a good rapist. In movies/video games/ etc, a guy who kills people all day long can still be a good guy. The guy who holds an entire hospital hostage so they can treat his child who has cancer, hero. The guy who steals bread from the store for his daughter, such a wonderful father to put himself at risk to feed his child.

There are no good rapists. It will never happen, because, at least as far as my imagination goes, there is no way to "justify" rape as there are for other crimes, even something like murder.

All that being said, I don't think the game should have been banned. It's been out for at least a couple of years, and unless Japan has seen a huge uptick in rape crimes (don't have the stats on that so if someone does, feel free to correct me), I don't see a reason for banning it other than "it's icky", which quite frankly isn't a good enough reason to ban something.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it creates less of this "slippery slope" and more of an infinite circular loop that goes round and round, where nothing is accomplished. Sort of like this thread. Laughing

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:15 am; edited 2 times in total
dan888

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Prodigiosus wrote:
I think the most interesting thing is, if they had just picked a different name for the game, like "Woman hunter" or "Stalker" or even "Vile man-beast", we wouldn't be having this discussion. I think they only reason it's even an issue is because the title is just so damn obvious. It would be like if GTA was retitled "Kill Cops and Run Over Pedestrians for Fun (Also to be known as KCROPF)). People would be out to ban it in a minute (although Grand Theft Auto is pretty bad as a title I guess)

I also think the reason the theme of rape is such a hot button topic is because there never is a good rapist. In movies/video games/ etc, a guy who kills people all day long can still be a good guy. The guy who holds an entire hospital hostage so they can treat his child who has cancer, hero. The guy who steals bread from the store for his daughter, such a wonderful father to put himself at risk to feed his child.

There are no good rapists. It will never happen, because, at least as far as my imagination goes, there is no way to "justify" rape as there are for other crimes, even something like murder.

All that being said, I don't think the game should have been banned. It's been out for at least a couple of years, and unless Japan has seen a huge uptick in rape crimes (don't have the stats on that so if someone does, feel free to correct me), I don't see a reason for banning it other than "it's icky", which quite frankly isn't a good enough reason to ban something.

If referring to Rapelay, it is quite common for rape games to have a very simplistic name, just take a look at the names of some of the games MangaGamer is releasing in English. A couple examples are "My sex slave is a classmate", "Tasty Shafts" and "Suck my dick or die!".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8