• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Voice Actor Crispin Freeman to Appear at Otakon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
another great guest. He is perhaps my favorite dub voice. He hasn't been to Otakon since I started attending, so I'm excited.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to his Kyon dub in TMofHS, I'm not a fan. I still have nightmares about the omnipresent, droning voice that refused to let me experience any part of the show without a filter of (mostly) unamusing snide. Kind of unfair, I know, because any VA would had to do the same thing. But now, anytime I recognize Freeman's voice, like in Kurokami or The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, all I can hear is that friggin' Kyon.

I hate Kyon. Kyon must die. And yes, I know that because I've written this, a legion of squealing Freeman fans will say how much they LOVED Kyon and Freeman's performance. They must die, too. Twisted Evil Wink
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But now, anytime I recognize Freeman's voice, like in Kurokami or The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, all I can hear is that friggin' Kyon.

I have exactly the same problem with Crispin Freeman, only whenever I hear him I think of Togusa from GitS: SAC, so I absolutely can't accept him as Kyon, or Touga, or all the other people he is. Fortunately I like Togusa quite a lot (though he reminds me a bit of Gareth Keenan from The Office), so it hasn't led to any sort of contempt for Crispin Freeman - it's just weird hearing Togusa everywhere and not seeing him on the screen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And yes, I know that because I've written this, a legion of squealing Freeman fans will say how much they LOVED Kyon and Freeman's performance. They must die, too. Twisted Evil Wink

Unfortunately for you, Kyon's dub voice is the voice that dub Haruhi choose. If you challenge her view on how things should be, she will no doubt unconsciously deal with you, if you know what I mean.

(whispers) So for the love of God (or should that be Haruhi?), man, keep your voice down! Wink

But yeah, I have to disagree. If I had to make a list of top 10 dub performances of all time, Kyon-Crispin Freeman would easily make the list. Actually, watching Season 2 in the sub makes me realize that the sub voice for Kyon is definitely good, but it's just not the same. Sad
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Looks like we're the only Crispin fans here, loka.
Chaoticsouls

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Thanks to his Kyon dub in TMofHS, I'm not a fan. I still have nightmares about the omnipresent, droning voice that refused to let me experience any part of the show without a filter of (mostly) unamusing snide. Kind of unfair, I know, because any VA would had to do the same thing. But now, anytime I recognize Freeman's voice, like in Kurokami or The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, all I can hear is that friggin' Kyon.

I hate Kyon. Kyon must die. And yes, I know that because I've written this, a legion of squealing Freeman fans will say how much they LOVED Kyon and Freeman's performance. They must die, too. Twisted Evil Wink

He did a good job with kyon don't know what you are whining about.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
He did a good job IN YOUR OPINION. Heck, that may even be the majority opinion for all I know. I'm not even sure if I have a problem with Freeman's performance or if I'm just anti-Kyon. The only way I'd now for sure is to hear somebody else do a version of Kyon and, of course, that is not likely to happen.

The only thing I'd say is that having heard Freeman in TMofHS, Kurokami, The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye and Blood+ is that his voice doesn't appear to have much range or personality. However, I hasten to add that is an OPINION not a fact and that, gosh, sometimes people hold varying OPINIONS about the same subject. What a concept.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
his voice doesn't appear to have much range or personality.

Stay away from Noein, then, as you'll get the same thing but with a constant angry tone.

One thing's for sure, picking him out of a dub lineup will be the easiest thing to do, so much so, I bet even a deaf person could do it.

I'm used to it, so I can't really favor a pro/neg opinion. Since you mentioned Kyon, I can't imagine him without that voice. Who would you replace Crispin with?

Of course, this is the downside to a dubbing factory using the same talent over and over again. I can also do the same for Luci, Monica, Paul (Dobson), and others.

Another great feature of old school anime.... "fresh" talent!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Blood- wrote:
his voice doesn't appear to have much range or personality.

Stay away from Noein, then, as you'll get the same thing but with a constant angry tone.

Too late. I bought a copy of Noein second hand a few months ago. Still haven't watched it yet, though. I'm not too worried. Freeman's voice hasn't reduced my enjoyment of Kurokami or The Third, it's more like - oh yeah, I recognize that voice; God, I hate Kyon - sort of thing.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
I'm used to it, so I can't really favor a pro/neg opinion. Since you mentioned Kyon, I can't imagine him without that voice. Who would you replace Crispin with?

I can't think of anybody offhand. In many ways, Freeman was probably the perfect choice for Kyon, because his range-restricted delivery is in keeping with Kyon's banal personality. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more convinced I become that my true beef is with the character of Kyon as opposed to Freeman's performance. It's just that the two are so closely linked for obvious reasons.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Looks like we're the only Crispin fans here, loka.

Actually even though I've watched I Me Strawberry eggs and .Hack, I never knew it was Crispin Freeman was in the show.

But two weeks ago, I watched the Remastered version of Irresponsible Captain Taylor and thought Crispin Freeman was beyond incrediable. I can't think of any of actor could done a better job than him at alll.

I am pretty glad I got the remastered Captain Taylor, because Crispin's masterpiece voice acting and the overall relaxing theme of the show make it worth the while. Even if the closing theme reminds me of the late 80's or early 90's.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
He is the second, the OTHER true FREEMAN.

Sorry, couldn't resist a half life reference.

I'm sooooo glad he's gonna be there, never did I imagine I'd actually get ANOTHER boxet signed by lead VA's (my first two being Greg Aryes and Tiffany Grant for Chrono Crusade) and overall, I like everything else he does.

The question is... Do I settle with the TMoHS boxset being signed? Or attempt to complete my collection for Eureka seveN? D:

Holland ftw.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
It's funny; I have the same "issue" with Sugita, Kyon's Japanese VA. I watched TMoHS quite some time ago.

Later, Gintama became my FSAOTM (favorite shounen anime of the moment). Now whenever I hear a clip of Kyon, I look for Gintoki. Very Happy

The Crispin Freeman version has the same feel to it as Sugita's version (from what I've heard of it) he's always commenting with dry wit. Guess one's milage may vary with the humor and tone, Blood- *shrugs* (Love your sn, btw!)

I never realized he played Togusa! He plays gazillion other characters,too.

I probably won't be able to pull off Otakon this year, though. Sad I really want to go!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:31 am Reply with quote
He is one of the few VA's I have not met that I have always wanted to. One other one was Laura Bailey who I got to meet last year. She's simply awesomesauce squared to the power of cake. Crispin Freeman has always had one of the most distinctive voices in anime to me and I have always enjoyed it. My favorite role from him without a doubt is Alucard from Hellsing but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed him as Togusa from GITS and as Zelgadis from Slayers. Plus he's Fuuma in "X" which is one of my favorite anime series period. The best part is Tony Oliver, Sorata from "X", will be there again this year too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:33 am Reply with quote
Ooooooo, Laura Bailey. If her photos don't lie, she's stunning! She also gets my vote as "Most Improved" VA. I found her Marlene Angel in Blue Gender to be lifeless and unremarkable, but I think she's done a great job as Kuro in Kurokami. If I hadn't seen the cast credits, I would have NO idea it was the same VA doing both parts.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:14 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Zelgadis from Slayers.

Blood- will be happy to note he sounds nothing like Kyon in this series, but...

...it's still the same delivery. I'm currently watching this series now and there's no mistaking him. I find it curious all other characters show emotion through voice except for Zelgadis.

Proven moreso when Ameria was injured in one scene. No awards for VA? Not surprising.

Since Laura Bailey was mentioned, I will have to say she's a VA who has a wide variety of voice offerings. I'm curious to know if it puts tremendous strain on her to voice characters lower than her natural voice.

But be careful, Blood-, as her voicing for Tohru in Fruits Basket did get a little extreme at times to cringe the nerves.
Oddly, though, I loved her as Evangeline in Negima.

Imagine my surprise to see her credited as Alv in Kiddy Grade. NEVER saw that coming.

Yes, finding her in the credits always seems to be a joy as she's a sneaky one to identify.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2