• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo's Earnings Rise, But So Do Losses in Annual Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Add Shangri-la to that list, so dissapointed with that anime.

Are you keeping with it? It's getting better.
I'll take another shangri-la over another Solty-Rei / Speed Grapher / Pumpkin Scissors / Witchblade / etc.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
dan888 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
FUNi might want to consider accelerating the release schedule of their GONZO titles before the end comes.
I'm sure they'll still retain the rights to whatever Gonzo does after Gonzo gets swallowed up by some company that actauly knows what it's doing in terms of making shows.

Not necessarily. Remember the whole CPM/Biblos thing. It will really depend on whether Gonzo would be sold, in which case the rights would be retained, or if they would file for bankruptcy and be liquidated. In the case of a liquidation, the new owner of the properties would not necessarily be bound by the contracts with Funimation. They could be thrown out in court, or just be very hard to enforce in general.

Honestly, I don't expect Gonzo to be around much longer in it's current form. Either they will have to be sold, and probably sold soon, or they will simply be dissolved. They spent too much time focusing on growth in North America, while they failed in Japan, so that when the NA market collapsed, they were caught off guard. Despite all their changes, I don't think they've done enough to save themselves.

It's a shame too. Though they haven't done much in recent years that I've enjoyed, they have done some of my favorite series, such as Chrono Crusade and Full Metal Panic.

With Full Metal Panic, I believe that once KyoAni took over the title (with Fumoffu/TSR) they did a better job than Gonzo did.

Speaking of which, KyoAni needs to get around to releasing FMP4, or at the very least, a FMP:Dancing Very Merry Christmas OVA.

True, Kyoto did animate the second and third series, but I was only referring to the first show in my post. I was simply meaning that Gonzo did do a good job with that show, though KyoAni arguably did better. Though I think it doesn't really mater, as Gonzo didn't own the show and only animated it.

But you idea of FMP Dancing sounds intriguing. I would buy it.....
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
dan888 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
FUNi might want to consider accelerating the release schedule of their GONZO titles before the end comes.
I'm sure they'll still retain the rights to whatever Gonzo does after Gonzo gets swallowed up by some company that actauly knows what it's doing in terms of making shows.

Not necessarily. Remember the whole CPM/Biblos thing. It will really depend on whether Gonzo would be sold, in which case the rights would be retained, or if they would file for bankruptcy and be liquidated. In the case of a liquidation, the new owner of the properties would not necessarily be bound by the contracts with Funimation. They could be thrown out in court, or just be very hard to enforce in general.

Honestly, I don't expect Gonzo to be around much longer in it's current form. Either they will have to be sold, and probably sold soon, or they will simply be dissolved. They spent too much time focusing on growth in North America, while they failed in Japan, so that when the NA market collapsed, they were caught off guard. Despite all their changes, I don't think they've done enough to save themselves.

It's a shame too. Though they haven't done much in recent years that I've enjoyed, they have done some of my favorite series, such as Chrono Crusade and Full Metal Panic.

With Full Metal Panic, I believe that once KyoAni took over the title (with Fumoffu/TSR) they did a better job than Gonzo did.

Speaking of which, KyoAni needs to get around to releasing FMP4, or at the very least, a FMP:Dancing Very Merry Christmas OVA.

True, Kyoto did animate the second and third series, but I was only referring to the first show in my post. I was simply meaning that Gonzo did do a good job with that show, though KyoAni arguably did better. Though I think it doesn't really mater, as Gonzo didn't own the show and only animated it.

It's too bad Kyoani is to busy milking the crap out of the "moe" genre with KON!, Clannad and Haruhi being their top selling titles not to mention FMP TSR DVD sales were dismal at best, and I really don't want Gonzo getting their grubby paws on it in their current condition since they will turn it into a way to market the DVD version by adding unnecessary fanservice/ecchi scenes like they did to Linebarrels.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

It's too bad Kyoani is to busy milking the crap out of the "moe" genre with KON!, Clannad and Haruhi being their top selling titles not to mention FMP TSR DVD sales were dismal at best, and I really don't want Gonzo getting their grubby paws on it in their current condition since they will turn it into a way to market the DVD version by adding unnecessary fanservice/ecchi scenes like they did to Linebarrels.

I was about to post the very same thing but saw your post heh. Yeah shame KyoAni are choosing to do moe crap instead something more like FMP. Sure can't wait for KyoAni's next anime where all the girls just stand around acting moe. Rolling Eyes
dan888

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
dan888 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Not my idea with FMP Dancing Very Merry Christmas, that is simply the next novel in the storyline to be adapted after The End of Day by Day 1 and 2 (which was adapted into TSR), and due to reasons I am not going to go into here, it would make a good stand alone OVA before having a TV series adapting the novels after DVMC.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
When the economy turns around and the huge volumes of people that are unemployed are employed once again, then sales for DVDs will pick back up again. They need to re-structure themselves and find out what costs are their biggest cost and eliminate it (their legal costs). Then they can weather the current bad economy and still be around when business picks back up again.

(emphasis mine)

What do you mean by "legal costs"? Are you implying they shouldn't be suing people who steal their material (which they offer for free on the internet)?

But I do agree that an economy rebound is what's really needed. I used to buy a lot of anime... but then I wound up on a minimal-paying part time job and my purchasing has slowed to virtually nothing. Give me a job, and I'll be buying anime again.

...though not anything recently by GONZO. It's sad to see the creators of so many great series in the past churn out so many series recently that vary from awful (Dragonaut) to decent (Shangri-La, Tower of Druaga) with nothing that's amazingly good.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
losses arent surprising. the times are bad economically but their shows are even worse Confused i was pretty impressed with gankutsuou back in 04 but yukikaze is my gonzo fave. those cg scenes were absolutely amazing. nothing else they have put out since comes anywhere near that in my opinion.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
...yukikaze is my gonzo fave. those cg scenes were absolutely amazing.

Glad to see another Yukikaze fan. Give me gorgeously-rendered realistic planes over humanoid robots any day! (and then add in some inventive aliens, great human characters...you get the idea)
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
...yukikaze is my gonzo fave. those cg scenes were absolutely amazing.

Glad to see another Yukikaze fan. Give me gorgeously-rendered realistic planes over humanoid robots any day! (and then add in some inventive aliens, great human characters...you get the idea)

Blue Submarine No.6 was also gorgeous with a nice soundtrack.
game

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
dan888 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

i agree they need to take a break from the moe genre
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2