• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
wow a semigood review, i need to go check my vitals that i'm not seeing things

when i got into nanoha, A's was already out so i watched it all at once for the most part.

-Gabe who wants to see someone (not funi) bring over StrikerS now
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I know it is probably a majority opinion, but A's worked a lot better for me than the original series did. The original was no stranger to shades of grey in regard to villians, but this series was like, "oh yeah, we will make it even greyer! So there!".

A very entertaining series of episodes in my view.

Packagewise, this seems more of Funi series than a Geneon release. My sets of the the first Lyrical Nanoha and Familiar of Zero are very nice. This one product wise, felt cheaper, based soley on the packaging.

Is this a Geneon series or a Funi series?
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
matryoshka doll of plot twists and revelations

So true!

Quote:
And even then, everyone has that weird tuft of hair coming out the side of their heads!

Are you reading my mind? Haha thats the same problem I had while watching Nanoha, whats up with all that hair?

Despite all the flaws mentioned in this review Nanoha is still highly enjoyable, I definitely recommend it.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
While it does have it's flaws, I enjoyed this series. I found most of the characters likable and was sympathetic to almost all of them.

It's a rather light and fluffy series. One that doesn't require deep intense debate or thought. It's just right to clear the mind.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

Geneon. Doesn't it say somewhere on the box? FUNimation released it, but Geneon still holds the license.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:00 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Quote:
And even then, everyone has that weird tuft of hair coming out the side of their heads!

Are you reading my mind? Haha thats the same problem I had while watching Nanoha, whats up with all that hair?

This doesn't really do much to explain it, but that hairstyle is something brought forward all the way from the original Triangle Hearts games where just about every character has that tuft.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:36 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

Geneon. Doesn't it say somewhere on the box? FUNimation released it, but Geneon still holds the license.

You can see that Geneon originally intended to release the first Nanoha as singles (the blurb is on the individual boxes rather than the series box) but then decided to do it as a box set. When it came to A's I imagine FUNi was in charge of the packaging by then and just decided to do it their normal way.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Hentai_JP wrote:
Quote:

This doesn't really do much to explain it, but that hairstyle is something brought forward all the way from the original Triangle Hearts games where just about every character has that tuft.

Ah, Triangle Hearts. I remember the OVA they did for that. A few episodes on the story and then a summary episode narrated by a chibi Nanoha, who then announced the forthcoming "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha".

I wonder who thought when watching that, that not only would the series come to fruition, but it would be infinitely more successful than the story it spun off from?
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
Yay for a good review of Nanoha! Smile I really enjoyed this series, from start to finish. Yes, it has flaws, as the reviewer pointed out, but the show is so much fun to watch that it really is easy to overlook them.

I still maintain that the intelligent magical weapons are the coolest things since the lightsaber.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
I'm with you all on the fair-minded review of Nanoha A's. At times I felt like I was watching two different shows. At times the girls were just being themselves, doing things they would normally do at their age, and then the show would do an about face with the battles and more serious plotlines. I also liked at the very end spoiler[ where they showed everyone after many years had passed and how they had grown and moved on.]

The battles are what sold the show for me. The weapons powering up and doing what they do were quite cool. And yes, Lord Prometheus, those talking intelligent weapons are very impressive.

I'll also add my voice to the chorus that hope the next series (StrikerS) could maybe, someday, somehow, find its way here.
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
I still maintain that the intelligent magical weapons are the coolest things since the lightsaber.

I agree. To me, those things made both series far better than they had any right to be. Laughing
Brians9824

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
Its definitely nice to see a good review by a non biased person for this series. A few points i'd disagree with but they are relatively minor.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
Its definitely nice to see a good review by a non biased person for this series.

Actually, I'd argue they're both biased: Kliminger loathes just about anything that smacks of moe and lolicon, whereas Martin actually kind of likes that sort of thing (see his review of Clannad as an example). You only see it as "unbiased" because you agree with it.

That said, Martin probably is a better pick to review it, because he'd closer represent the sort of fan who'd be interested in Nanoha in the first place. Kliminger would likely have never watched it if he hadn't had it sent to him to review it.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and this is why Nana Mizuki and Yukari Tamura have never quite broken the barrier between singing seiyuu and actual pop star

Uh. I don't know, that's just not accurate or fair to say about either of them. Especially considering what catapulted Nana Mizuki's mainstream exposure is ETERNAL BLAZE...
Brians9824

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Brians9824 wrote:
Its definitely nice to see a good review by a non biased person for this series.

Actually, I'd argue they're both biased: Kliminger loathes just about anything that smacks of moe and lolicon, whereas Martin actually kind of likes that sort of thing (see his review of Clannad as an example). You only see it as "unbiased" because you agree with it.

That said, Martin probably is a better pick to review it, because he'd closer represent the sort of fan who'd be interested in Nanoha in the first place. Kliminger would likely have never watched it if he hadn't had it sent to him to review it.

I considered it to be more unbiased because in the first post we have someone missing entire plot points and getting the facts of the show completely wrong and marking it down because they felt a scene involving fate getting tortured was fanservice and proved the directors were a bunch of S&M freaks (his words). While in this one the negatives were all valid points with alot less personal opinion thrown in.

Although i still find it funny that one of Kliminger's favorite shows is UFO Ultra Maiden Valkyrie which he loves yet has issues with the transformation scene in Nanoha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3