• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo to Open on 800 U.S. Screens, Blood on at Least 11

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that means I have to go out to LA to go see Blood.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually just as shocked when they didn't list anywhere in NY for a release...

That kinda depresses me.

As far as Hollywood dubs go, I dunno. I rather enjoyed Kiki's Delivery Service, and that was a mixture of hollywood actors as well as professional American VAs, those of which that has been involved in anime some way or another.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
And once again, the "Blood" franchise gets shat upon. First [as] pulls a planned re-air of Blood+, and now this! Hopefully the 11 theaters is just a preliminary list, and more will be added in the future.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
Considering that Sony has the rights, and they've already been advertising it on their home video releases (my friends saw the trailer when they rented Underworld: Rise of the Lycans), I would have thought Blood would get a bigger theatrical release. Yay for the closest current theatre being 3 hours away... I don't even have to check, if it says Seattle, I know exactly which one they're planning on. Same one that always gets these movies, that I can never go to.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing that Blood showing in Cambridge means Cambridge, MA with all the MIT and other college nerds in the area. I'd wager it's going to Kendall Square. Ponyo might get on a few theaters in the area.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Cool, may have to hope for an Indy release (a small theater did Metropolis the anime and the Cowboy Bebop movie and the original Black and White Godzilla movie so there is hope)

I saw the Cowboy Bebop movie at Regal just north of Carmel. It was awesome to see it in big screen format.

If Ponyo hits there, I'm there. I know nothing about the series, but I'd do it just for the experience of anime in large screen.

It'd be awesome if more anime was done this way.

Even a 42" plasma television has its limits.
Razz
TheHaruhiIncarnate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
joystick1101 wrote:
I don't mean to sound like a random internet "hater" douche but what makes me uncertain about the dub of this movie is who plays the lead roles of Ponyo and Sosuke. I love dubs I'm the kind of person who rather watch anime dubbed but Miley Cyrus's little sister and the other Jonas Brother? Unless they can act better than their siblings... I don't know. This is a Hayao Miyazaki film here, top quality stuff. I like the rest of the cast, TINA FEY, Matt(Jason Bourne) Damon and Liam Neeson oh and everyone else. Anyone else feel good about seeing this to support the anime industry but crummy about giving Disney(the evil empire) more money when they pay for anime they license aka just Ghibli movies.

I have to agree with you. I don't like Disney always casting every high-end celebrity in the book, because simply the Hollywood folk probably don't know much about Anime to give a damn about it, much less Miyazaki's work. I always prefer the usual crowed of dubbers (i.e. Vic Mingonga, Tiffany Grant, Wendee Lee, Steven Blume, etc etc.) because these people have done enough anime to know what the medium is really about and how to really voice a character. There's a big difference between voicing a Cartoon Character and a character made for a work of Art like a Miyazaki film. I mean really do they really think going the DreamWorks route brings in any more adults. If they just did a little more advertising they probably would get more kids interested in the film where adults will be pleasantly surprised and say "hey this isn't just a kids movie"

Cyrus and Jonas will be packing them in the theaters which is what Disney wants.

This is a kids movie. Adults aren't going to be surprised any.

I totally dissagree with all three of you. I have watched all of the disney dubbed Miyazaki films and have not been dissapointed in any way. Just because they casted some annoying little kids, doesn't mean the dub will be horrible. Disney has done a fantasic job on al of the dubs, and i can't wait to see Ponyo. So until you actually watch the dub version, you can't say anything bad about it. Watch it, and then critique. =)
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
Whats the point of saying that Blood is getting a US theater release if only 11 are gonna show it that's so few it might as well be none. On top of that it's not even a good spread across the nation so not everyone is even gonna have a decent chance to catch it.

It's showing in San Francisco and Berkeley which are only about 15 miles apart.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
I'm hoping for Ponyo somewhere in North Carolina. Especially on the east coast of NC. All the anime movies here typically only play in the western part of NC, so I can't go to often.

Correction, films in NC come to Raleigh and Charlotte so even people in the western part of the state have a hard time seeing them Anime hyper.
But yeah, sometimes this one theater just above the boarder in Virginia shows anime movies so if Ponyo comes out there you can expect that my family will be making a road trip.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
TheHaruhiIncarnate wrote:
I have watched all of the disney dubbed Miyazaki films and have not been dissapointed in any way. Just because they casted some annoying little kids, doesn't mean the dub will be horrible. Disney has done a fantasic job on al of the dubs, and i can't wait to see Ponyo. So until you actually watch the dub version, you can't say anything bad about it. Watch it, and then critique. =)

This.

I've loved every single Disney-Ghibli dub ever made and I anticipate this one to be no different. I'm not even familiar with Noah Cyrus or Frankie Jonas, but I for one will NOT write them off beforehand.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping when the list is released one of the Ponyo theaters will be near me. Gainesville usually gets it in one of their theaters, but there's always the chance it won't... and I really rather not drive 2+ hours to Orlando to see it, if they get it at all.

I too have yet to have a problem with any of the Disney dubs. Kiki's Delivery Service dub = love. Phil Hartman will always be Jiji to me.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
I'm guessing that Blood showing in Cambridge means Cambridge, MA with all the MIT and other college nerds in the area. I'd wager it's going to Kendall Square. Ponyo might get on a few theaters in the area.

Which leads me to this:

WTF, Massachusetts BEFORE New York? Give me a Freakin break!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
It is kind of weird that NY is not included in the list for Blood.

The closest city is too far for me to drive so it's either rental or buy it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene: I was worried Van Der Beek would ruin Laputa, too, but he did ok. As for the theater count, it probably would be better if "My [White] Sassy Girl" wasn't sent to home video, thus forcing the original film to be unreleased domestically.

fighter: At least it's playing at the Chinese, and not the Sucklight.

darkness: Be glad it's playing in Seattle at all.

greenwolf: I love Phil Hartman, too, but that's blasphemy. The Japanese voice actor actually sounds like a cat, while casting Phil Hartman makes me think they were trying to cash in on Sabrina, since he has a similar type of voice to the guy who plays the cat on that show.

Anyway, the other reason it might not be playing in NYC is the theaters could be charging more for the prints than Sony is sure the movie will get back in return.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ctimene: I was worried Van Der Beek would ruin Laputa, too, but he did ok.

I rather liked him in Laputa as well; granted he sounded older than his character looked, but I thought he did a pretty good job. However, I liked the supporting cast and the rescore more--both were what really made the dub memorable for me.

Quote:
greenwolf: I love Phil Hartman, too, but that's blasphemy. The Japanese voice actor actually sounds like a cat, while casting Phil Hartman makes me think they were trying to cash in on Sabrina, since he has a similar type of voice to the guy who plays the cat on that show.

*sigh* The controversy over that casting decision has never died. I personally adored Phil Hartman as Jiji, and I find it difficult to listen to Kiki's Japanese VA. No offense to her, of course, but I felt it made sense to have Jiji sound more male, especially since spoiler[He ends up having kittens with a female cat at the end.] Granted, the last line at the end of the film by him wasn't necessary, but I was too enchanted with the dub to care about the differences. If Miyazaki said it was OK, then he's OK with it.

-Jon T.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3