• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach DVD 16

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DranzerX13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:43 am Reply with quote
Episodes 54+ have the Shinigami Illustration Guide (Bleach Omakes) at the end of each episode. Viz has included these in their uncut DVDs (Vol.14 +), which can be seen at the end of the next time previews.

When I watch the Bount arc I feel like i'm kind of watching the chapter black arc from YYH all over again...well kind of.

I like the Bount arc, it's way better than that crap Amagai filler arc.
nechronius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Bount Arc wasn't half bad.

What I always wanted to know though... What is up with that one dude (second in command?) who always wears a pair of headphones around his neck! I mean geez, is that some sort of fashion statement?

Sorry if I spoiled that wonderful little surprise for anybody really looking forward to the filler arc.

Just kidding, not sorry at all.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Bount Arc wasn't half bad.

What I always wanted to know though... What is up with that one dude (second in command?) who always wears a pair of headphones around his neck! I mean geez, is that some sort of fashion statement?

Sorry if I spoiled that wonderful little surprise for anybody really looking forward to the filler arc.

Just kidding, not sorry at all.

I'm not sure if Kubo did the Bount Arc character designs(I heard he did), but it could've been an attempt at unique fashions. Headphones certainly are distinct, I don't remember anyone else with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I'm not sure if Kubo did the Bount Arc character designs(I heard he did), but it could've been an attempt at unique fashions. Headphones certainly are distinct, I don't remember anyone else with them.

Well certainly I agree with that, to make the character look distinct. Perhaps the mohawk wasn't enough. Or the large, rotund body. Or the full facial hair. Or olive colored wife beater shirt.

I mean headphones, ferchrissakes! Headphones! Even Kuchiki Byakuya's craptastic hair style is better than headphones!

Alright I'm just being ridiculous, but you know what I mean. They didn't have to do headphones, although they've clearly done their job if that's what I remember. So apparently their ploy to make people remember a character from a throwaway filler arc worked. Damn those sneaky artists. Damn them!
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:

Well certainly I agree with that, to make the character look distinct. Perhaps the mohawk wasn't enough. Or the large, rotund body. Or the full facial hair. Or olive colored wife beater shirt.

I mean headphones, ferchrissakes! Headphones! Even Kuchiki Byakuya's craptastic hair style is better than headphones!

Alright I'm just being ridiculous, but you know what I mean. They didn't have to do headphones, although they've clearly done their job if that's what I remember. So apparently their ploy to make people remember a character from a throwaway filler arc worked. Damn those sneaky artists. Damn them!

Well at least he didn't have headphones in flashbacks to the 1600's or whenever, so the headphones were admittedly a recent addition, and not just some random part of him that was always there(like Byakuya's hair roll things. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Well at least he didn't have headphones in flashbacks to the 1600's or whenever, so the headphones were admittedly a recent addition, and not just some random part of him that was always there(like Byakuya's hair roll things. Razz

Byakuya didn't always have his hair ornamentation either. Note: I'm not sure what my point was; I just happened to have that picture uploaded and it was relevant.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
YuYuUrameshi wrote:
The review said that you can rejoin the show after the fillers without so much as a hiccup, but thats not quite true; some of the filler characters stick around in the show after their arc is over, and take part in the karakura town battles later in the series.

I know, and it drives me insane. I hated the Bount arc, it was so boring and I don't really care for the filler characters either. They just come off to me as characters trying to be funny but failing at it.

I skipped over the Bount arc, actually. I waited forever for it to end on Adult Swim.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
The Bount arc?

Long?

Are you kidding me?

Compared to the Soul Society arc,which dragged on and on without getting anywhere for roughly 60 episodes,this arc was hardly long.

True enough and this filler is actually good compared to the endless fillers in Naruto one epsiode (a.k.a ep 101 Kakashi's mask which was a howl) and some side storys (Raiga story & Anko story & return of Shukaku) this filler arc in bleach are a blessing. In my view the review was way too harsh.

I'd give the story a B- and both the sub and sub B+ as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
R.G. wrote:
The Bount arc?

Long?

Are you kidding me?

Compared to the Soul Society arc,which dragged on and on without getting anywhere for roughly 60 episodes,this arc was hardly long.

True enough and this filler is actually good compared to the endless fillers in Naruto one epsiode (a.k.a ep 101 Kakashi's mask which was a howl) and some side storys (Raiga story & Anko story & return of Shukaku) this filler arc in bleach are a blessing. In my view the review was way too harsh.

I'd give the story a B- and both the sub and sub B+ as well.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The Bount arc had a neat concept but that's about it, I really don't understand R.G. claims that the SS arc dragged on for the sheer fact that it had a lower episode count and was ACTUALLY INTERESTING each episode, the Bount arc was good for the first half but really dragged in the second half mostly because the bounts themselves (with the exception of their leader) were dull and didn't even have interesting backgrounds to make them standout. And while the mod souls stay in the anime they're about the only thing mentioned from the Bount arc and they don't play any part in the main storyline at all (except for yet another filler)and all records of the Bounts are forgotten after the Arracanar arrival arc, so really it was filler, better than Amagi arc for sure but that as good or fun as the Karakura Heroes mini-arc (though it was only two episodes).
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The Bount arc had a neat concept but that's about it, I really don't understand R.G. claims that the SS arc dragged on for the sheer fact that it had a lower episode count and was ACTUALLY INTERESTING each episode, the Bount arc was good for the first half but really dragged in the second half mostly because the bounts themselves (with the exception of their leader) were dull and didn't even have interesting backgrounds to make them standout. And while the mod souls stay in the anime they're about the only thing mentioned from the Bount arc and they don't play any part in the main storyline at all (except for yet another filler)and all records of the Bounts are forgotten after the Arracanar arrival arc, so really it was filler, better than Amagi arc for sure but that as good or fun as the Karakura Heroes mini-arc (though it was only two episodes).

I remember early in the Arrancar Arc(on AS anyways) that they compared the new foes to the Bounts and Jin Kariya.

I'm gonna throw in another reason I enjoyed the Bount Arc more: The SS's arc major villain twist was spoiled early on for me by the more blabbermouthed sub-viewers, so most of the Soul Society Arc was boring since I knew exactly what it was leading to, leaving just a bunch of boring fights that took too long to get a conclusion I already knew about.

The Bount Arc, on the other hand, I knew nothing about since many sub-viewers skipped it. Without their spoiling, the entire arc was a surprise to me. So I was left in suspense(unlike the SS Arc), especially with regard to the Bount Arc-specific characters. The SS Arc may've been stingy about killing characters, but the Bount Arc is much more willing to kill characters introduced in the Arc. That alone helped up the suspense, since you never know if an Arc-specific character will survive.

It was a rare relief from the Bleach adage about "No One Dies In Bleach".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3