• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-06-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Brian wrote:
Seriously, what's a guy gotta do to earn some earnest hate-mail
I might write in.Just to counter some of your ridiculous use of words that no one would get caught using outside of a Jeopardy tournament,Nerdlinger.

Oh come on, his parlance is perfectly acceptable. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vapors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

--Adam's changes to an anime company: Digital distribution will NEVER replace physical media. People will always want hard copies that they can display on their shelves instead of video files on their computers. You can't give someone a video file for Christmas or their birthday, nor can you display them on your shelves. Furthermore, if the anime industry went to total digital distribution, what'll people do, buy terabyte drives that can ultimately crash and burn? If you don't back anything up in case of hard drive failure, you're fucked, and then you have to download all that stuff all over again.

While I am with you regarding the sentiment of having physical media to share and show to people, I have begun to wonder if the next generation of consumer will truly appreciate that idea. I mean, I have grown up knowing only physical media (books, vhs then dvd, magazines, etc). I did not start using the internet heavily until I went to college in 01. My upbringing and experiences have led me to value the showmanship that comes with owning physical media. However, the new generation of kids (I would label those people born in the early to mid 90s) who have grown up with computers, dvrs, youtube, etc, probably do not see any value or practicality in having large, bulky media to slug around. Everything for them is portable, digital, encompassed in an all in one instrument (ipod, cell phone, blackberries, etc). While I believe people will learn to pay for things rather than take freely from the internet, you may find that they are going to be hard pressed into liking physical media that takes up space and cannot be carried in an ipod or what have you.

I believe that streaming will be the way to go for anime studios to show off their shows, but this may mean a drop in dvd/blu-ray sales as consumers may find little incentive to purchase something they can access to at any given time in the day, all for free (unless someone finds a way to monetize this, much in the way apple was able to monetize mp3s).
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
Vapors, the thing is there will never be an end to people who have a "collector" side to them (in fact, for many hobbies this is the major appeal), and let's face it, virtually no people feel like a "collector" by having a bunch of episodes on their hard drive.

It's collectors who had a significant (maybe most significant?) contribution to anime in the earlier days, buying those expensive VHS tapes and all the singles/LEs they could, and they'll keep contributing in the future.

I, for one, have somewhat of a "collector" side, but I also don't want all my anime legally downloaded. For one thing, I'd have to pick between dub or sub, which would be a step back from most DVDs. Also, something goes wrong with my PC, and bam!, bye-bye money/anime. Sad If there ever was a day anime companies ditched DVDs completely, my anime viewing would probably go back to whatever I already own, and I'd be much less enthusiastic to check out new series. Digital distribution is something I have only so much interest in, and I know others feel the same based on previous discussions about this.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
Really the main question should be; how big a role will streaming video play in the future of all visual entertainment? The obvious answer is; it is its natural evolutionary destiny, and anime will flow along with it as it already is and must. A recent survey here in the UK discovered that the majority of those surveyed, feel that high speed broadband is as essential a utility as water, gas, electric and telephone. Never has the lowly 4 strands of copper wire run to one's home been so crucial to a person's need to connect with society, and entertainment.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
Meh, preaching to the average anime fan about the works of talented and "experimental" individual animators is like preaching to the average pop fan about the genius of Mozart and Beethoven. There's a time and place for everything...

On that topic, though, I'd like to know why I never hear of things like Code Geass in all its so-called "cornball stylistic excess" winning any awards, or any sort of praise from the animation community. Is anime too obscure? Or is it all about framerate? In which case, why doesn't it get recognition for its artwork alone? Anyone can tell that Code Geass has stunning visuals, but I don't hear this from anyone outside of the anime fan community. Surely, art is something anyone can appreciate, regardless of its origin or associated fanbase?

Oh, and I'm not just talking about Code Geass here, I simply took the example from the article. Replace with any anime you adore for its art.
oriana3k

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
A round of applause for Swirling Vortex, please. I showcased tokyopop.com in my web design class as an example of bad design, and my teacher laughed at it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
Art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. but like all media there is art to be experienced once then thrown away, and art that requires deeper contemplation of meaning, therefore demands it be held longer and even charished.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Wormed, means... Like... squiggled.

I see. However, I have to say using the word in this way can be quite misleading; people like me would think if a computer worm was involved in the leakage incident.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
Well, I watched what you said I should watch. Funny enough, I actually DID put my K-ON! fansub on hold and watched Mt.Head. It was....OK...but I was not impressed. I'll take K-On, thank you very much. It sure wasn't as good as La Maison en Petits Cubes, IMO.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote
Another interesting Answerman. Good luck getting some hate, Brian. Wink

Man, I completely meant to write in this week for Answerfans, so I'll just throw it up here, for what it's worth:

I would target Japanese learners by taking shows (and if possible, their manga counterparts) such as ATASHInCHI, Chi's Sweet Home, Sazae-san, etc and packaging them with lesson plans for teachers and worksheets and packets for self study students. The reason is that while TV networks don't seem willing to take a chance on such family-oriented anime and thus, they don't sell as well, packaging them as a "language learning tool" might give them a boost. At my university in Japan, we used Sazae-san in language lab each week, with proper scaffolding, it was GREAT.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That guy that wormed his way through Funimation's servers and gained access to the episode's video file
I am facepalming so hard I can feel the inside of my skull.
Let's make an analogy: Imagine a row of locked doors, opened by their own individual keycodes. Doors 1 through 10 are opened by the codes X1 through X10, and these are labelled on each door. Then you come to door 11, which has no code label. Now, if you are a conscious human being, you will ALREADY know that the code for door 11 is X11. This is because our brains are wired for pattern recognition.
That is the extent of the 'hack' performed on Funi's servers. About as worming as a ruler.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote
I though it was more a door with just a latch and knob that one simply turns and opens with no locks involved at all. Laughing
Ottervinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:52 am Reply with quote
I'm more addicted to buying anime DVDs now (although I do stream from time to time), but, in the future, I actually hope that there will be no region locks and such. Take for example Funimation's Youtube channel. They have The Slayers and various other anime series that I would quite like to watch, but since I'm in the UK, I can't, it's not available in my country. So I went out to the shops (well, HMV and some other used DVD shops) and had a good look around. I could find the newly-released Slayers Next but not the first series.

So my point is, when a company has a DVD that is out of publication, has become rather rare in the shops, and they have another good few years on the licence but they can't see it being a commercial success if they re-released it, just put it up for streaming on their site.

I really like Funimation for streaming FMA Brotherhood and getting to the root of the problem with One Piece fansubs by broadcasting it on their own site (although both of these shows aren't really my cup of tea), but the problem is, the video player works very slow and stutteringly on my computer. Youtube works fine. So I'd prefer having a Youtube format. Smile
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
I think Digital distribution would help with new fans getting into anime since you wouldn't have to buy or rent a DVD/Blu ray to watch a show that they may have potential in purchasing in the future. It won't completely replace physical media as there will always be people who want that, it will help with those who have an interesting in finding something new, or for those who want to start their path down becoming an anime fan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
faervas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
for years I have been in a bubble with my friends about what makes a great film. Even my brother who is intelligent and thoughtful will drag me to the next gig f/x blockbuster that he has been anticipating for months. He wants to see the spectacle, to be a voyeur of the event. My best friend for whom I have thought to be liked minded, will not go see anything as he say's "makes me think. It's to much work." I now just sit and endure the movie even if I know it's a stinker. I bite my tongue on commenting when asked, "what I think of the movie". I too am a student in Art school, just starting my MFA program in studio arts. I'm also new to the anime world. It's a area of interest that I have been wanting to explore since the 80's. I just got around to it in my middle age. what I have learned is people have different desires from a given work be it Anime, film, books, video games. Their is greater knowledge in the masses then on the fringe, but on the fringe the knowledge is deeper and broad. The masses only want to talk about the instance of gratification without thinking about.

As an artist I have 3 audiences I have the laymen who has no interest in seeking out my type of work but stumbles on in someway. if they ask about my work I talk about it in away that engages them. mostly the perfection of my craft. to them I a mysterious person with a magical talent. My work is something that struck a notion to me. Yet they don't want to think about how that notion was crafted. It just magical. The second is someone who is a Novice, maybe they read a bit about art and artist from a book or a magazine. I can tell you that stuff is developed to romanticize art as a great endeavor that benefit's mankind. they are still in awe of the magical illusion that art is. Then you have the student/practictioner of art, someone who understands the ins and outs. The redundants of doing and redoing something until it's right and making it look easy. one took an idea gather the resources, and figured out how to manipulated the view into a notion. You worked at bending the thoughts of the viewer into thinking about something. That is what artist do and what art is. You know what? 99% of the people in this world are not comfortable with that idea. They don't want to make that leap that maybe someone controlled their thinking on purpose of ninth of a second. Anyone who has seen a Balthus painting of a his pre-teen females has felt that manipulation because you can't help but look at where you shouldn't be looking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6