• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-06-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Brian, you actually bought the extremely pricey Wings of Honneamise DVD/Blu-Ray combo set? Can I borrow it? It's one of my favorite anime movies, but there's no way I'm shelling out 80 bucks to get it.

You could import Madman's R4 release. It's not so overpriced, and has a reversible DVD cover in case you don't want to see a large rating symbol on the spine.

As for this week's question, I'm lead to believe that digital streaming will essentially be an exhibition of the technological advances of the 21st century, combined with the business models of the 20th. (I'd very much like to be wrong about this.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote
You said there would be puppies, Answerman. Where are the puppies?

This whole leaking-files business sort of infuriates me (especially since, if I recall correctly, it happened AGAIN to some other series). I preferred it when people would pirate their pirated pirate anime elsewhere with their own ripped-files and their own fansubs, instead of going and ruining everything for the trying-to-get-stuff-legally guys.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
How did get you King Hippo to hate you?

Anyway the were obviously trying to screw Funi so it's not they actually did this out of want to see the episodes early, for the lulz as they say.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote
Answerman says:

Quote:
Just ask 20th Century Fox: leaks happen, and the best thing you can do is simply move on and deliver the product you promised. Wolverine's 172 million dollars is a testament to that. Nevermind that it sucks and is terrible, but that's neither here nor there.

It's at least a far superior, more worthwhile film than the third X-Men movie.

The only experimental anime I ever watched was 'Cat Soup,' which had so many surrealistic WTF moments that I couldn't not love it, even with some of the gruesome, disturbing moments. It's a Central Park Media title that probably costs around $80 on Amazon merchants by now, but I personally recommend that one.

It's a shame with what's happening with Funimation's streaming, so I too hope they manage to fix and clear things up, since I've yet to see the final episode of 'Phantom' and more of the new 'Fullmetal Alchemist.'
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
I just loved Brian's honesty with the whole One Piece situation. yeah F*** him! F*** him in the ear!

And I agree with pachy_boy. Wolverine was way better then the 2nd and 3rd X-men movies.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
E-Peen? Am I the only one who got the flakes referance to forumwarz? Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
--Adam's changes to an anime company: Digital distribution will NEVER replace physical media. People will always want hard copies that they can display on their shelves instead of video files on their computers. You can't give someone a video file for Christmas or their birthday, nor can you display them on your shelves. Furthermore, if the anime industry went to total digital distribution, what'll people do, buy terabyte drives that can ultimately crash and burn? If you don't back anything up in case of hard drive failure, you're fucked, and then you have to download all that stuff all over again.

Ugh, it shocks me that in 2009 there are still people who are in denial about the shape of things to come with respect to digital distribution. Yes, there will always be people who will cling to physical media like DVDs. Hell, I'm sure there are some people out there who have 8-track cassette players in their cars that they still use. There are probably people who have Beta video players that they still use. There are probably people who still churn their own butter and forge their own horse shoes. So what? These are fringe activities that have no relevance to the overwhelming majority.

Do you know how many people, since the advent of the Industrial Revolution, have boldly predicted that such and such technological item would NEVER BE replaced? They were all wrong.

Yes, there are still some issues that need to be worked out with regard to storage of digital content, download speeds, etc, etc. Can anyone actually doubt, considering the strides that have been made in computer/digital technology over the last 20 years, that this won't eventually be resolved?

Also keep in mind that a digital generation is growing up who has no loyalty to physical media. They download their music, their movies, their TV shows, their video games, etc.

The very existence of something called digital content presents an inexorable logic: if content can be transferred without requiring any physical conveyance, it will do so.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the first question from the UK student and his list of underappreciated anime directors:

I have always been under the impression that Europe has always had a greater respect and appreciation for animation and anime is certainly not excluded. Here in America, most people see animation as Dora, Disney, or South Park. In short, nothing to be taken seriously. So it doesn't surprise me that an art student in the UK would have research materials about all of these "unknown" directors and their work, all because anime is an art style and Europe has been taking art seriously for centuries. For example, have any of you heard of Wakfu? Sure, is based on an MMORPG, but it looks like an anime rip-off (albiet an impressive one).

America just hasn't reached that pinnacle of culture where they can take animation, heck, art as a whole, very seriously, and these directors remain unknown. That's why anime fans are so peculiar in America: they take animation seriously. (Though, I have to admit, I didn't recognize many of those names; I've got a long ways to go.)
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hell, I'm sure there are some people out there who have 8-track cassette players in their cars that they still use

I didn't know my mom's cassette player in her car is now a dying breed. And she bought that car in the early 2000's. CD players came soon afterward, but it's only been 8~10ish years. I have to agree that physical will never be replaced by digital. Ever heard of eBooks? Sure it's useful on a plane to have 500 books in your hand, but honestly other than space, the feeling of holding a book is probably more comfortable and relaxing than scrolling down to the next page. People buy DVD's because they want to have some physical proof of having something. Even if you aren't a natural packrat collector, the DVD has physical proof that you own something, like a trophy. That's why people have glass cases for their DVD's and don't put the latest season of House that they bought in a dusty old box in the garage. Sure digital may be somewhat more useful, but what if it crashes? I'm sure there's a greater risk of a computer crashing and loosing completely than stepping on a dvd and breaking it, or scratching it. As well, I'm sure you can return it for atleast store credit if you scratch the DVD. But with a file on a computer, or even on an external hardrive, no one's going to give you a return policy. Sure it might cahnge in the near or distant future,but since digiatal is recent, the chances of it engulfing physical copies of something is still up in the air.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
On the whole One Piece streaming hack:

That's really unfortunate that this happened. It seems like it's just another excuse for Toei to pull the plug on something yet again. They've already pulled the plug on just about every other series they've released out here...Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Air Master, Slam Dunk, Beet the Vandal Buster, Bobobo-bo-bobobo, Fist of the North Star...I know some of these are now in digital distribution but, that sucks. I want to own a legitimate copy on DVD. I personally hate sitting at my computer and watching movies when I could be watching it on a better screen and in a more comfortable chair. Anyway, I just hope Toei doesn't take this away from those who actually want to see this streamed online. They have a bad habit of giving the fans tidbits of what they want and then taking it away before they've finished.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
America just hasn't reached that pinnacle of culture where they can take animation, heck, art as a whole, very seriously, and these directors remain unknown. That's why anime fans are so peculiar in America: they take animation seriously.

I'd postulate that they are viewed as no more of a peculiarity over there as we are over here. Though local animators keep adult audiences aware of the medium, anime may not come to mind to the typical person over here when considering animation as a means of artistic expression, aside perhaps the highly ubiquitous Miyazaki films.

I'd conjecture that anime is a little more popular in France however, but my understanding of animation's role in their culture is a little sketchy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fake Alias

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
The tv-cable is becomming obselete, rapidly. I think we'll see tv-stations moving online on a larger scale in the near future. Eventually the tv is gonna get hooked up on the internet. And because of that i think anime and other media will become avalible online in a near future. I would expect nothing less.

... But i bet europeans will still be unable to watch anime online due to regional restrictions in the year 2129... That'll never change. EVER!
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
An interesting paper published just last month discusses digital distribution and its effects on piracy. Basically, it's better to have it. I don't think it should replace DVDs, but it seems to me that it should be readily available for people to buy so that those who would be legitimate customers preferring DD won't turn to illegal sources.

The paper:

Converting Pirates Without Cannibalizing Purchasers: The Impact of Digital Distribution on Physical Sales and Internet Piracy

(This link leads to the abstract page, from which a free copy may be downloaded.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
Quote:
Hell, I'm sure there are some people out there who have 8-track cassette players in their cars that they still use

I didn't know my mom's cassette player in her car is now a dying breed. And she bought that car in the early 2000's. CD players came soon afterward, but it's only been 8~10ish years. I have to agree that physical will never be replaced by digital. Ever heard of eBooks? Sure it's useful on a plane to have 500 books in your hand, but honestly other than space, the feeling of holding a book is probably more comfortable and relaxing than scrolling down to the next page. People buy DVD's because they want to have some physical proof of having something. Even if you aren't a natural packrat collector, the DVD has physical proof that you own something, like a trophy. That's why people have glass cases for their DVD's and don't put the latest season of House that they bought in a dusty old box in the garage. Sure digital may be somewhat more useful, but what if it crashes? I'm sure there's a greater risk of a computer crashing and loosing completely than stepping on a dvd and breaking it, or scratching it. As well, I'm sure you can return it for atleast store credit if you scratch the DVD. But with a file on a computer, or even on an external hardrive, no one's going to give you a return policy. Sure it might cahnge in the near or distant future,but since digiatal is recent, the chances of it engulfing physical copies of something is still up in the air.

I know it is a waste of time to argue with people like you. Only when the digital revolution is actually here will you finally have to acknowledge reality. If you had any sense of technological history, you would know how much you sound like those people who passionately contended that CDs would never replace LPs because people liked cover art that they could see easily and that LPs had a "warmer" sound than you can get from a CD.

I'd love to read a treatise on "technological blindness" - how some people, despite 300 years of technological history, can NEVER perceive the impact of the next, obvious, incoming technological wave that will replace the old way of doing things.

By the way, an 8-track player is different from a normal audio-cassette player.
Vapors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I did not mean that "collectors" were going to be pushed out altogether. What I meant, was that mainstream buying habits seem to be focused on the digital, portable ways of getting their entertainment. Collectors like those in these forums and I myself will not dissappear but will probably become a niche group like record collectors. Also consider that makers of devices like ipods, cell phones, kindles and the like probably have a stake in pushing people to these digital formats. Will this happen soon? In 10 years? Never? Who knows. I certainly never expected the DVD or Blu-Ray or Mp3. And this was 10-15 years ago. I would be curious to know how younger people (say ages 13-17) feel about physical media. While we can extol the virtues of touching our products, having artwork to admire and the showmanship that comes with displaying a collection, I am curious to see how younger people view such items.

Also, I forgot to submit my answer to running an anime company. My choice would have been to create a Criterion collection type company dedicated to releasing older and "important" anime shows and films (I want to stress that the "important" part is mostly a means of marketing and does not diminish any other anime currently out there). Anime like Utena, Rose of Versailles, Serial Experiments Lain, Galaxy Express 999 (movie and TV), Time Stranger, etc are out there without a home and could benefit from restored visuals and audio, commentaries from people who study and review anime, documentaries about some cast/crew or history behind the making-of features. All packaged in premium boxes and sets. I would also like to focus the advertising not just to anime fans but to cinephiles and animation fans in general to try to branch out as much as possible. While this will not change the anime industry or make a whole ton of profit, Criterion's method seems to have served them well so why not?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6