• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-06-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billborden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Kindle will have to come down in price for it to really get mass acceptance. $350 plus $10 per book? I pay $6-$10 for most of my $10-$15 manga. I dislike reading on lit screens so I'll stick with books, much to the dismay of the local manga seller who keeps trying to talk me into scanning my collection (over 2000 volumes) & sell the books to him so he can re-sell them.

They are looking at 2.2 million Kindle sold in the next few years; which is pretty much mass acceptance, and, on the side, if you are getting your manga at $6-$10 a copy; you might as well be reading scanalations for all the good you're doing the industry. Worked into the price of every new book is the expected loss through secondary re-sale (used book store). Of course, used book stores are legal, but only because the publishing industry can't find a way to get rid of them.

As to the rest, I believe that, according to the NCTA Broadband access is available to 92% of US homes and in place in about 1/3, with twice as many homes signing on in '08 than in '07. All this is not taking into account 3G cellphone networks (I'm having a harder time finding clear numbers on that, sorry). Anecdotal evidence is nice, but statistics paints a clearer picture. It's why I don't argue with Naruto fans anymore; their numbers say that there MUST be something there, no matter how much it makes my Frontal lobe hurt.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
If digital distribution was wildly profitable, taking EVERYTHING into account, we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?
It is wildly profitable, just not for distributors. For the vast majority of distributors, it's a death knell, a sign that their services are simply no longer required.
Admittedly, this is far more obvious (and has been going on for longer) for the music industry than for anime, but there are a growing number of independently produced movies and OVAs outside of the normal 'production committee' model (Shinkai's films, Cencoroll, Isshouni Training, Studio Ghibli, etc). I think we're going to start seeing more shows produced and distributed by the animation studios directly, with the profits going to the studio rather than spread amongst the production committee, distributors & sponsors. The net profits may be less, but the studios themselves would see more of it making it an overall gain from their point of view.

On the Kindle: a nice idea, but only the more expensive DX has sufficient resolution for graphics. Try reading a full page from a typical manga at 800x600. It's simply unviewable. The unavailability of the kindle outside of the US is also a problem.

Last edited by edzieba on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
TimeLincoln wrote:
Quote:

F*** that guy and I hope that all his hopes and dreams are crushed and he leads a sad, lonely life devoid of purpose and meaning.

Wow, you need to get a life.

Having a life has no connection to being completely pissed off at someone.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
I concur: F*** that guy. I hope FUNi finds him and kicks his ass. There's no way the R1 companies should go down because of lax security and immoral bastards.

I agree with Brian completely on this. I really hope Funimation finds this disturbed freak and sends him to jail for a very long time. Personally, if I were Funimation, I'd find him and tazer him senseles.

R1 companies shouldn't have to suffer because some of its "fans" are impatient and must have everything instantly. Its exceptionally shameful how people are on the internet these days.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
The leaks anime industry has experienced pale in comparison to any other content industry. These kinds of leaks were going on in past weeks, but only recently is this a big deal. The other industries have learned that ignoring the issue and not publicizing it is far more effective. Eventually the anime industry will learn the same thing. You can make a lot of people angry, and you can even sue a few of those "really mean guys" but it has no effect other than to increase the desire of people to do it.

Everyone needs to review history better. It's almost harder to name what isn't leaked in terms of high profile video games, for example. And there have been many movies with exactly the same issues multiple times.

This isn't even about impatience, it's more about "winning the game" for these sorts of individuals, which I honestly think isn't that big a deal considering that it was going to come out 1 day later anyway.

For every person saying "impatience" I'd like to know why 1 day makes such a big deal for the industry. Why is it the difference between losing and winning? And if it is really the difference, putting things on public webservers is a pretty horrendous screwup.

(As for myself, I refuse to download this because the quality of video is fairly bad, much like I'd never watch the cam rip for a new film).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
billborden wrote:
They are looking at 2.2 million Kindle sold in the next few years; which is pretty much mass acceptance,

???
There are over 3 million people in my COUNTY & you're saying 2 million Kindle is mass acceptance?

Quote:
As of February 2009, the United States has a total resident population of 306 million

I'll bet far more than 2.2 mil people in the US have at least one book in their possession.

billborden wrote:
and, on the side, if you are getting your manga at $6-$10 a copy; you might as well be reading scanalations for all the good you're doing the industry. Worked into the price of every new book is the expected loss through secondary re-sale (used book store).

Really?
Because that's RightStuf.com brand new with their Got Anime discount on top of their usual 33% off various book publishers (like the current Yen Press sale which brings the price of titles like One Thousand And One Nights, Nabari no Ou & Soul Eater down to $6.60 & Mr. Flower Groom down to $7.80. )

So no one should buy anything on sale by your thinking. Pepsi isn't making a dime off those buy 2/get 3 12 packs free sales at Vons.

billborden wrote:
As to the rest, I believe that, according to the NCTA Broadband access is available to 92% of US homes

You mean homes that can have broadband once someone pays to upgrade the wiring in their house. The companies just pushed to get it into the neighborhoods (underground wiring).

billborden wrote:
and in place in about 1/3, with twice as many homes signing on in '08 than in '07.

Like myself & other homes in the area last year where AT&T, looking to get into the San Diego Market, was willing to re-wire homes for free just to get the sale.

billborden wrote:
All this is not taking into account 3G cellphone networks (I'm having a harder time finding clear numbers on that, sorry). Anecdotal evidence is nice, but statistics paints a clearer picture.

My daughter is still working on me to get a cell phone. I have several co-workers who don't have one. I was a telephone operator for years. I hate talking on the phone. Why the hell do I want to drag one around with me? Not to mention all the idiots who are still talking on the damned things while driving when it's been against the law for over a year (officially. Actually one is never supposed to do anything that distracts one from driving including eating)
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
billborden wrote:
All this is not taking into account 3G cellphone networks (I'm having a harder time finding clear numbers on that, sorry). Anecdotal evidence is nice, but statistics paints a clearer picture.

My daughter is still working on me to get a cell phone. I have several co-workers who don't have one. I was a telephone operator for years. I hate talking on the phone. Why the hell do I want to drag one around with me? Not to mention all the idiots who are still talking on the damned things while driving when it's been against the law for over a year (officially. Actually one is never supposed to do anything that distracts one from driving including eating)

People are idiots, so of course a lot of them are going to talk/text while driving. Worse then driving drunk, IIRC.

Tested my Mom's Nokia N73 two years ago (freebie for customer loyalty thing). Globe's 3G was pretty fast. Her account doesn't have mobile internet enabled; my account was a hand-me-down from my uncle. My current phone (also a freebie) is pretty sweet except no 3G; worse than dial-up using EDGE. Might get an iPhone when the plans aren't jacked up too much. Also waiting for local availability of Android phones and the Palm Pre.

Of course the U.S. has the problem of being a much bigger country, so covering even 80% (of populated areas) with 3G/WiMax/whatever is no easy task. Not to mention competing standards (GSM/CDMA); the Philippines is all GSM.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
You mean homes that can have broadband once someone pays to upgrade the wiring in their house. The companies just pushed to get it into the neighborhoods (underground wiring).
I'm currently getting broadband over a 1920s-era phone system who's wiring is probably composed more of verdigris than actual copper. In-house wiring is moot, given you either lay cat-5 anyway or use wifi.

Last edited by edzieba on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
I'm currently getting broadband over a 1920s-era phone system who's wiring is probably composed more of verdigris than actual copper. In-house wiring is moot, given you either lay cat-5 anyway or use wifi.

You still need wiring that will hold the signal.
As I said, Time Warner (who I would think would know) said I would have to have the house which was built in the 1970's have the cable wiring re-done before I could have Roadrunner & AT&T, since it was new to the area last year took 2 days to bypass the old wiring (which was really, really micky mouse apparently at the outside box) & put in nice new wiring so I could retain a signal.
I do not care if your house is 200 yrs old, the wiring needs to hold the signal. I lived in a home where they had to install electrical wiring after the place was built & in several spots there were wirse outside the wall painted over so they were viewed as normal on the outside of the wall vs inside the wall. There is no way in hell I was going to call Time Warner every damned day to have them send out the info to re-install roadrunner for whatever reason it was vanishing every night. I had to watch tv off the cable itself & not the box in my bedroom because all the channels, one by one starting with the smaller ones like G4 & even WB froze up or were just black & again Time Warner's diagnosis was re-wire the house with something that could handle their super-deluxe signals. Each room of the house that did use the cable box actually had certain channels they couldn't bring in.
I saw this little private cable wiring installer all over my area of town around the time I lost those signals (over a 3 yr period) so obviously lots of people were having similar problems & were paying the guy to put better cables into their places so they could get the digital signals.
Broadband accessible just means the ground wiring is there waiting to be connected to. It does not mean every house in that neighborhood just needs to call roadrunner to be connected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6